What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matai

zombie jesus

Staff member
Whare was bought for a reason, this is it I guess. Matai would be a big loss but I'm also keen to see Whare develop.

nz eagle

Juniors
I thought the bulldogs would be interested, they seem to want to sign everyone.

It will be sad to lose matai, he is one of my favourite players. I would have thought we had shed enough players from 2008 to keep everyone else now, but I suppose we had to upgrade a lot of contracts too.

eagles4eva

First Grade
Don't go, teammates' last-gasp Matai plea

13 Jul 10 @ 04:07pm by JASON AVEDISSIAN
HIS teammates are rallying around him in one final attempt to convince off-contract centre Steve Matai to remain at the club.
The 25-year-old has been tabled a counter-offer by the Sea Eagles to remain at Brookvale.
The Manly Daily understands the Sea Eagles’ deal is financially stronger than the Sharks’ offer, but a little under what the Warriors are prepared to spend.
Matai yesterday spoke personally about his decision with club officials, and could be settling on his future as early as Wednesday.
He also consulted his teammates, looking for some direction in what will be one of the final contracts of his career.
“It’s a difficult time and I want it settled sooner rather than later,” Matai said.
“It’s (Sea Eagles) the only club I have known in the NRL and the last thing I want to do is leave.”
Matai is genuinely torn as he mulls over the decision, knowing the club has played a significant role in shaping his career.
The Auckland-born back arrived on the northern beaches for summer training in November 2004.
It was only meant to be a week-long stint before returning to Wynnum Manly in the Brisbane premiership.
But Matai never returned to Brisbane, remaining in Sydney before making his NRL debut against the Storm at Brookvale in March, 2005. A little over 12 months later he would go on to represent his country.
Manly CEO Graham Lowe said on Tuesday that Matai’s future rests in his hands.
“We’ve made him an offer so it’s just a matter of Steve making his mind up I suppose,” Lowe said.
“We want it sorted out as quickly as possible but from our point of view there’s no time limit. I’m hopeful (he will stay).
“There’s so many other really important things we’ve got to focus on as well, retaining our really good players like Steve is important but we can only do what we can do.”
Source - http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/dont-go-teammates-last-gasp-matai-plea/

caspersparks

Juniors
i'll be soooooooooo gutted if he goes.. best player we have besides lyon.. take $50 grand off choc (or brett stewart) for being useless this year and give it to matai

god this blows..:x

mortz

nfi cronulla recruit ment, offer him a lesser contract and hope he takes it.... fmd

Scarves

Juniors
I guess we are losing all this talent because we resigned our "Big Four" of Lyon, G Stewart, Choc and Foran... I wonder how it compares to the pay packets of the Melbourne Big Four?

joseph1

Juniors
Or is Brett Stewart eating up all the cap space? It might be in your interest to drop this guy, given his last 2 years and ongoing dramas. Would have freed the space to retain Hodkinskon and Matai id say..

clipser

Juniors
Theres no way manly would drop Stewart. Hes the brookvale "prince" and has a strong backing.

shiznit

Coach
jezzz... faaaark i hope you guys can keep a hold of Matai...

dont want to see him at the Warriors... his injury & disciplinary record are too risky for what he would be asking for. the other thing is i dont know if he would be the same back in NZ... the Warriors have a long history of bringing good Kiwi players home and then they turn into rubbish.

but i like him... hopefully he stays at Manly where he can keep preforming.

jezzz... faaaark i hope you guys can keep a hold of Matai...

dont want to see him at the Warriors... his injury & disciplinary record are too risky for what he would be asking for. the other thing is i dont know if he would be the same back in NZ... the Warriors have a long history of bringing good Kiwi players home and then they turn into rubbish.

but i like him... hopefully he stays at Manly where he can keep preforming.

We will be boasted having him their in the centres and if the warriors (more like when) sign him it will be a quality signing.
NZ turn Kiwis into Rubbish? Like who exactly?

shiznit

Coach
We will be boasted having him their in the centres and if the warriors (more like when) sign him it will be a quality signing.
NZ turn Kiwis into Rubbish? Like who exactly?
off the top of my head... High Profile Kiwis who come home and flop... Ridge & Wiki.

Latest posts