What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Day Thread: The Ian Gately Challenge.

Tooooks

Bench
No Hayne, so we have a max of two tries in us. Manly will score 30-40. I've become such a pessimist...

Manly by 20+.
only hope is that manly origin players dog it and try to avoid injury and we might get within 2 tries of them.

Avenger

Immortal
Hypothetically if we get smashed in every game and come last does the pressure build for Stuart or is he politically protected? What is the minimum that he must achieve next year? Top 8?

Interested to read people's thoughts.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Hypothetically if we get smashed in every game and come last does the pressure build for Stuart or is he politically protected? What is the minimum that he must achieve next year? Top 8?

In my opinion next year we need to be in the hunt for the top eight (for either 7-8 position) until to pretty much the last couple of rounds, not with the year being over by round 15. I reckon he will be under some serious pressure if this is not the case.

But also I don't he should have been sacked , he should at least see out his three year contract just like Anderson/Kearney shoujd have. Two years isnt longer enough to change things around.

Isn't it depressing that it hasn't been since 2007, 6 years ago since we had a side that was actually fighting for a top four spot.

jk13

First Grade
thats a great photo of hayne in that article with thirsty and smith looking on. ricky is protected this year, next year his balls are in the wind. manly to lead 42 nil at halftime, fulltime manly 68 - 24. i'll be forced to switch the game off around the 32 minute mark i believe

84 Baby

Referee

I'd say he's got enough backing and he's said the right things so far in enough people's eyes that even if that does happen, he'll be the returning coach next year. He won't be able to rely on that next year if the same happens though. I think that with 4 hired guns, reportedly another 2 more, we'll make enough a difference to allow him to push a youth rebuilding policy for the 2015 year, that'd see us in better stead for 2016 and beyond. Not saying we won't make the finals next year or 2015, but the club, players & fans have to learn that an aberration like 2009 isn't the be all and end all. What we want is a period like the late 90s/early 00s where we constantly make the finals and have multiple chances to be premiers

lingard

Coach

In my mind, there's absolutely no doubt that we'll be in the top eight next year. (Then again, you should have a look inside my mind! Woo Hoo!)

lingard

Coach
thats a great photo of hayne in that article with thirsty and smith looking on. ricky is protected this year, next year his balls are in the wind. manly to lead 42 nil at halftime, fulltime manly 68 - 24. i'll be forced to switch the game off around the 32 minute mark i believe

I might just tune in during the second half and watch us score our 24 points, then.

lingard

Coach
I'd say he's got enough backing and he's said the right things so far in enough people's eyes that even if that does happen, he'll be the returning coach next year. He won't be able to rely on that next year if the same happens though. I think that with 4 hired guns, reportedly another 2 more, we'll make enough a difference to allow him to push a youth rebuilding policy for the 2015 year, that'd see us in better stead for 2016 and beyond. Not saying we won't make the finals next year or 2015, but the club, players & fans have to learn that an aberration like 2009 isn't the be all and end all. What we want is a period like the late 90s/early 00s where we constantly make the finals and have multiple chances to be premiers

Or from '76 to '86. Those were the days. Sigh.

Eelementary

Post Whore

Regardless of the results on the field this year and next, Stuart must see out the minimum length of his contract. It's difficult to rebuild when the coach changes every two or three years. It also makes the Eels a less than enticing destination for a potential recruit if he's uncertain of who the coach will be a year after signing for us.

Avenger

Immortal
I agree. He must at least see out his contract unless of course he gives up himself.

parra pete

Referee
Or from '76 to '86. Those were the days. Sigh.

My favourite years were the 60's...anticipation was immense as the fans knew success was just around the corner. The parochialism of the Parra supporters was stronger than it is today, especially in the era of the Thornetts, Brian Hambly, Ron Lynch, Barry Rushworth, Noel Dolton, Archie Brown, Kenny Foord, Bob Bugden, Leo Toohey, Ivor (nackeroff) Lingard, Derek Hallas.. the evolution of Bob (Bear) O'Reilly, Keith Campbell.....great memories of Rugby League played as it should be..and the excitement of being on the Hill at Cumberland Oval with great mates who had the same passion....plus a couple of Eskies full of Tooheys Flag Ale..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6meY6DG9TUE

Latest posts