What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Canberra @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 1: Newcastle v Canberra

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canberra Raiders 1-12

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Canberra Raiders 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Apey

Staff member
KPP looked damaging. But yeah we never really got many opportunities in their 20 and mostly fluffed the ones we did. Gagai looked good before moving to the wing. Really not many other positives.

The whole Crossland Cogger Hastings Gamble Ponga on the field tactic didn't achieve anything but make us look confused in attack.

perverse

Referee
I'm not 100% sure what to make of it. I think we beat ourselves. I think you could see it was coming from the second trial. No discipline or direction mainly. The lack of respect for the ball was the biggest thing, they seemed to think they could rock up and be the harlem globetrotters from minute 1. On one hand, i do think they had that mindset due to having a lot of confidence, which is a good thing... but it's frustrating that they still seem to have to learn that there's no shortcuts in the NRL. The hard work still needs to be done each and every week.

They can turn it around, but that's just yet another 2 points we've thrown in the bin for no good reason as a team. It's hardly panic stations yet, but they're not where they need to be and if they're not willing to roll their sleeves up then this season could get away from us before the players realised what happened - and that wouldn't surprise me either.

PhilGould

Bench
Physicality was the only concern I had about KPP coming over and that didn't look to be an issue at all, so great signs. Took 4 or 5 of them to get him down on one run. 90m and 42pcm in 40 minutes puts a few of our other forwards to shame. Great offload that Ponga put down close to the line as well, we likely score if he caught it.

Lucas also hasn't put a foot wrong but it's a matter of when, not if, KPP moves into the starting side.

Yosh

Coach
The side can't facilitate Cogger, Hastings, Gamble and Crossland on at the same time. AOB needs to make the call and drop one of them this week. Crossland to start and play 50 minutes total while Cogger gets the other 30. Elliot can play the whole 80 or if he needs a spell, give Thompson a short stint at 13.

Brailey should also get some games in reserves before he comes back to first grade. Harsh but we don't need him immediately like in years gone by. Let him earn his jersey back.

We use the sweeping play to Ponga way too often. The ball should go to Ponga 25% of the time, short to the back rower 25% of the time, back on the inside 25% of the time, 20% cut out ball to the centre or winger and 5% of the time dummy and run. Something like that. We give it to Ponga 70% of the time and it's just not going to be that effective.

Embarrassing loss aside, the Raiders didn't beat us, we beat ourselves. Hopefully we got it out of our system now and can play proper football.

Woody90

Juniors
Still really angry but I guess the one positive I can see is that most of what went wrong (which was a lot) can be fixed and pretty quickly. Whether it will I’m skeptical about but I wouldn’t say any of the issues were particularly due to a lack of talent in any area. Like others have said, we beat ourselves.

The one area we were all concerned about coming into this season was the forward pack. I actually thought for a lot of the game our forwards more than matched it with a bigger Raiders pack. Things obviously deteriorated the longer Cogger was at 9, but in general the pack looked faster and stronger to me than we have to start a season in a long time. KPP looked excellent, as did Lucas and Friz hasn’t lost anything. The back row was our major positive. The Safs looked better than they have to start a season too. Obviously still errors but I think we have to take what we can get there.

Everything else was pretty diabolical.

1. Don’t try and play razzle dazzle football in the early rounds while combinations aren’t there.
2. Cut down errors (fixing 1 should help that)
3. Bring Brailey back in for Cogger.
4. Crossland to play stints at 9 only.
5. 2 halves on the field only. I’d bet anything this had most to do with the directional issues. AOB needs to get comfortable with media outrage and drop Cogger. If Hastings/Gamble can’t get it together Cogger comes in and replaces one of them.

It’s only R1 and IF we can fix all of the above we might not have a horrendous season. Big IF though.

Knight Tales

Juniors
KPP played right side for Wigan mostly. But given he can play either side and has a great pair of hands, I think lock is where we should be long term. His
Mobility is too good to stick him on one side of the ruck.

Yosh

Coach
KPP played right side for Wigan mostly. But given he can play either side and has a great pair of hands, I think lock is where we should be long term. His
Mobility is too good to stick him on one side of the ruck.
He looks like a total weapon of a second rower outwide. Don't see why he would be wasted there. 13s these days are more about distribution and workload in defense. KPP definitely would play wider and get the ball in space to cause havoc out wide!

Knight Tales

Juniors
He looks like a total weapon of a second rower outwide. Don't see why he would be wasted there. 13s these days are more about distribution and workload in defense. KPP definitely would play wider and get the ball in space to cause havoc out wide!
If he plays left we may overstack it leading to break down in play. So for me it’s right side but Frizell would have to move to the middle for that to happen. So it becomes case of how do you fit them all in.

mozza91

Coach
Judging by that 1st half all the premiership contenders have decided to play shit this weekend. We obviously got that memo.

Yosh

Coach
If he plays left we may overstack it leading to break down in play. So for me it’s right side but Frizell would have to move to the middle for that to happen. So it becomes case of how do you fit them all in.

What is over stacking? Shouldn't we put our best players where they play best and get the best out of them.

Whoever misses out, misses out. That's depth. Rep sides don't worry about over stacking do they?

Knight Tales

Juniors
What is over stacking? Shouldn't we put our best players where they play best and get the best out of them.

Whoever misses out, misses out. That's depth. Rep sides don't worry about over stacking do they?
Too much ball play. KP shifts short left to a ball playing back rower which can overcook a play. Where timing and creating space are everything.. The instinct of a ball
Playing forward can often get in the way.

Too much ball play. KP shifts short left to a ball playing back rower which can overcook a play. Where timing and creating space are everything.. The instinct of a ball
Playing forward can often get in the way.
Wut?

We were at our best when we had Fitzgibbon, a ball playing backrower, on the left. Moving KPP to lock where he will do donkey work and rarely get an opportunity to get 1v1 with a wider player is......well it's just stupid mate