What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Canberra @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 1: Newcastle v Canberra

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canberra Raiders 1-12

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Canberra Raiders 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2024 - Round 1
Newcastle Knights v Canberra Raiders
McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal, New Lambton (TICKETS)
Thursday 7 March 2024

NRL kickoff 8pm AEDT. Broadcast live in Australia on Nine Network, 9Now, Fox League & Kayo Sports.

NEWCASTLE2024.png

To be announced

CANBERRA2024.png

To be announced

A-REF-BW-2023TEAM.png

Referee: To be advised
Sideline Officials: To be advised
Video Referee: To be advised​

Yosh

Coach
I'm eagerly anticipating the team sheet for next week. Over the last decade, team announcements have been dreary affairs, often necessitating the inclusion of players who weren't first-grade material to cover for the injuries of already subpar players. This season feels different, though. We have genuine talent waiting in the wings, competing for first-grade positions. It's incredibly exciting!!!!

ryan.a87

Juniors
Yeah, I see Toohey has already shut it down

they probably just ran a couple of drills with that combo and someone took that scoop and ran with it

Woody90

Juniors
Could definitely see us trailing him at centre at some point while there’s so many in front of him in the halves…sort of like a Fittler/Daley type progression into FG. Couldn’t ask for a better spot to learn than defending between Friz and Gags.

Saying that though I’d pick him as NSW cup 6 and leave him there for a solid 6-8 games at least. Maybe even play him at centre a bit in cup if the FG halves are all playing too well.

We’ve paid good money for him apparently so no doubt AOB will be doing everything to find him a spot…just depends on where and when.

Yosh

Coach
Isn't he a Super League champion? Would playing in reserve grade be sufficiently challenging for him? If we're truly committed to his development, then we need to integrate him into the first grade, whether that means positioning him as a centre or bringing him off the bench for 40 minutes.

Same goes for KPP, he needs to be in our 17. Our team greatly lacks the kind of size and athleticism he brings. He and Lucas could share playing time, potentially offering Frizzell some rest now and then, considering he's not getting any younger. I'm keen to see more of Jed, but it's hard to envision him finding playing time unless it's in the middle position. However, the middle is already crowded with the Saifitis, Leo, Jack, and Mat, all of whom deserve a spot in the top 17.

Nonetheless, it's a wonderful problem to have. There's not a single position among the top 17 that isn't competitive or doesn't have a first-grade player ready to step in immediately.

Woody90

Juniors
Isn't he a Super League champion? Would playing in reserve grade be sufficiently challenging for him? If we're truly committed to his development, then we need to integrate him into the first grade, whether that means positioning him as a centre or bringing him off the bench for 40 minutes.
KPP was. Pryce was struggling to make first grade in the SL. He’s always been seen as a potential player rather than established at this point.

Pryce has also been quoted saying that our reserve grade is in a different league and that he’s learnt more here in 3 months than he did during his whole time in the UK. He’ll be plenty challenged IMO.

Last edited:

Knight Tales

Juniors
The issue with Pryce from a AOB perspective is he has shown he has the talent. That builds pressure to put him in The side. The timing of his debut is critical for Will and this club. We don’t want him
Coming in if we need to turn the season around, and putting part of that weight on his shoulders.

Yosh

Coach
I hope we do all we can to make them feel welcome and wanted at the club. Can't stand the idea of us losing another talented youngster to the Rorters... The Dom Young move cut deep.

Woody90

Juniors
On the game, my biggest concern is that the type of football we play likely isn’t going to start clicking right away and we looked very clunky in the trials (even the one we won). Raiders pack could easily run over the top of us if we’re giving away a lot of possession with errors.

If our attack clicks we should win and probably fairly comfortably, but being the first game and new combinations I think it’s more likely that it won’t.

Regardless pumped the footys back!

Knight Tales

Juniors
80 min performance is all I want to see. To know, even if we lose, we will be able to fix the issues quick. I have no interest in reacting to who we should beat and who we expect to lose to. That is ridiculous in a competition of this caliber. We have to go deep into the grind and be knocking on the door in The last 10 mins every week. If not forget making the 8 cos it will be window dressing.

Latest posts