What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Dragons @ WIN Stadium

Who will win? Round 1: Dragons v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vic Mackey

Referee
Not sure what to make of it. We were gutsy, Saints blew 4 certain tries. But I guess it’s round 1, we were missing 4/5 of our strongest 17 (including arguably our best/most important player) and we got the job done.

The middle forwards were huge, could argue that was Twals best game for us. Aloiai just needs an injury full season to become one of the elite forwards in the game, Mikaele continues to improve and Musgrove was great in his first NRL stint in 2 years.

Benji, well what else can you say? The guy could play for another 2 years at this rate, his game management has become second to none.

Side needs some tinkering for next week. Doueihi 1, Thompson wing, Talau/MCK/Mbye to center. He tried but Walters isn’t a 9, need Grant ASAP.

Just take the 2 points and move on.

Das Hassler

Bench
One trial then straight onto a wet windy track for Rnd 1 with a rookie 9 and new centers...that was always going to be a bit scrappy...it was even moreso for the dragons at their home ground. I wouldnt be overreading too much. Also don't lose faith in Thommo yet....he won't put 2 back to back and he did handle the difficult takes well after he settled down...certainly better than lomax
* Glass 60% full
Tenacity certainly is there and as Grub said...scrappy games are the one's you have to win

The Rosco

Bench
Losing Brooks hurt us creatively.
All those sets we had on Saints' line might have ended better with Brooksie there.
Saints might have bombed a few, but so did we . . . and we handed them 6 points plus Rava's try was lucky.
Twal, Benjie, Reynolds, Walters, Nofa, Garner, Mikaele, Musgrove, Aloia and BJ and his half Italian brother all played a strong part in the win.
F saints, the 2 points are ours.

The unknown

Juniors
Being at the game, it was so fckn windy and cold I don’t blame some of the boys for the unusual errors but glad we came up with the win. Felt saints were better for the majority of the game but we found a way to win which is all that matters

Thought big Luc was close to our best, and Walters impressed

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I'd move AD to fullback and Thompson to wing. Jennings bombed two tries that I reckon Thompson would have scored.

Thompson busts his gut but he can't chime into backline and put anything on. He's a winger, or a safe 2nd string fullback.

Agree....Every game Thompson has played at fullback he has had one huge blunder per game that has led to an opposition try. Sadly I don't think we can carry him there. Wing yes but not fullback.

Agree....Every game Thompson has played at fullback he has had one huge blunder per game that has led to an opposition try. Sadly I don't think we can carry him there. Wing yes but not fullback.

The modern fullback needs to be a quality ball player or a big damaging runner to be effective. Thompson is neither. He plays his heart out every week but compare him to the Teddys, Turbos, Pongas & Sheks of the world and he is miles off in every aspect. Give AD a run there.

Phil Gould

Juniors
The modern fullback needs to be a quality ball player or a big damaging runner to be effective. Thompson is neither. He plays his heart out every week but compare him to the Teddys, Turbos, Pongas & Sheks of the world and he is miles off in every aspect. Give AD a run there.
I think Thompson is being given the chance to retain his FB position. I like that Madge is showing respect to the incumbent, even though he may not retain it, at least he is being given the respect and the chance to keep his position.
Imagine Benji with that sort of maturity back when he was quick. Anyway well played in the 2nd half, and that might be it for the year.

To all the nay sayers: We will win at least a couple more games. If not, I will call “We”, “They”.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
I think Benji was still angry with McGregor today.. ..All I read was back then McGregor hoed into Benji in front of the whole team....Benji went to McGregors office after and it was there McGregor said “I gotta drop u next week “and Benji said “I’ll drop u right now!!” Love that story...His focus was there today..I think both Leiluas dropped Benjis pass to each of them because he wasn’t looking at them when he passed it..They arnt used to that level of accuracy and speed for a no look pass ..Benji looked very relaxed..I like the “second to none” description that’s big.

Last edited:

Wizardman

First Grade
Considering it was a first round game with so many new guys in the team, I thought our second half was promising. When we have more combination practice going and those passes stick, we'll be fine. At least we had a fair crack in attack despite the conditions and we'll be better for the run. We attacked better than I thought we would....but defended worse than I thought we would. We should have lost with that defensive effort today....we have to be more resilient there than today.

Corey Thompson: Every six weeks or so, this guy has a bit of a clunker. Considering the conditions as well as his general reputation for enthusiasm and safety, Im willing to give the guy another shot next week. He has played well in sides where few others gave a stuff so Im not willing to pull the rug from under him just yet. In saying that, I don't think we can have him there for the big games...he has clunked a few big games in his time.

Nofo: Great game from him. Great runs and will be a real weapon once BJ gets his game in order.

Leilua: Considering the blinder he played in the trial, BJ had a very quiet game. I have faith in him gradually being better as the season goes on.

Douhei: Very quiet and unthreatening. Im expecting more from the bloke but it is his first game and will cut him some slack.

Jennings: Did his job...was solid.

Benji: Absolute general for our club. That one year at the Broncos was very good for the bloke I feel. Controlled things better than I thought he would. Great kicking game from a guy whose kicking game was once very poor.

Reynolds: Was ok....late replacement who tried hard.

Aoiloi: Solid game, ran hard.

Walters: I was a tad disappointed in the bloke. A few errors in his game...doesn't look ready for first grade to me. We really need Harry Grant or another hooker very badly or our season will crumble quickly.

Twal: One of the more underrated props in our game. Outstanding player.

Garner: Was okay....he'll be better for the run and in dry conditions. He looks very fit.

Leilua: Struggles a bit in defence but will develop into an absolute weapon in attack. He looks fitter than he ever did at the dragons. Plays and chases with good enthusiasm....like him a lot and will be better for the run.

Taylor: Not a player I rate but had a very solid game. His work in defence was absolutely a key to our victory. Deserves a spot next week for sure.

Mikaele: Was ok...still a bit of a project player for us but the potential is there.

Musgrove: I remember seeing this bloke at Souths as an u20 player thinking he had the world at his feet. He had decent balls skills and great athletic ability for a prop.I actually though he'd have turned into a very good backrower. Since he played first grade at Souths, he really filled out and did not play well at all due to carrying too much extra kgs. Today, the guy looked fit and very promising....bending that line with every run. I would not be surprised to see him start by the end of the season...great prospect.

Lawrence: Did not have much time on the field.

Chee Kam: Used in his usual gamebreaking type role. He is a guy I'd love for him to play to his full potential this year.

Phil Gould

Juniors
I'd move AD to fullback and Thompson to wing. Jennings bombed two tries that I reckon Thompson would have scored.

Thompson busts his gut but he can't chime into backline and put anything on. He's a winger, or a safe 2nd string fullback.

Maybe you’re right there, Thommo probably would have scored those tries, if he’s not going to drift and inject himself where needed then at least he can give pace and good hands out wide.
I’m starting to think so too but he deserves more than one game to prove himself against AD. Adam needs to make everyone ask why he isn’t FB, he didn’t really ask the question tonight but I’m starting to wonder anyway.
Losing Brooks hurt us creatively.
All those sets we had on Saints' line might have ended better with Brooksie there.
Saints might have bombed a few, but so did we . . . and we handed them 6 points plus Rava's try was lucky.
Twal, Benjie, Reynolds, Walters, Nofa, Garner, Mikaele, Musgrove, Aloia and BJ and his half Italian brother all played a strong part in the win.
F saints, the 2 points are ours.
Brooks was needed to help crack the line when we were camped there. I think Joey is perfect for that, the game breaker, he just needs to be used effectively. Benji was the only real one giving us chances from close range. It’s been the story all too often, get the position but can’t score. It’s the key.

I thought grub played his guts out but seemed to be out of sync, he didn’t add anything more than his individual enthusiasm. But sometimes that goes a long way. We will see when the chips are down.

The forwards held their own against a top pack, looks promising.

Tiger05

First Grade
My concern with Thompson wasnt only his mistakes but I dont think he beat a single player with any of his runs. He looks to have bulked up and lost speed and doesnt look dangerous at all :(

You could handle this mistakes if he added something to the team but he didn't did he. I like him and he has been one of our best the last couple of seasons but he doesn't look like ever being a quality fullback plus Nofo was fantastic on the wing and Jennings hasn't made a mistake and he is a bigger body.

I'd have had CT as one of the first picked prior to watching that game. If he doesn't improve he may lose his spot.