What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Gold Coast @ Leichhardt Oval, Lilyfield

Who will win? Round 1: Wests Tigers v Gold Coast

• Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gold Coast Titans 1-12

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Gold Coast Titans 13+

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tigerm

First Grade
Last night, I drilled into our negatives. This morning, I will come up with some....eerr...positives.

Our running forwards were pretty good. While not brilliant, I believe they did their job well enough to give opportunities to win yesterday. Their defence up the middle was very solid as well. A definite and positive passmark from me. Our defensive errors basically came from the Talau-Nofoaluma combination and Laurie....the three men from this game who should be looking over their shoulder this week at the selection table.

I thought the effort from the team was a shitload better than last year....a fairly low watermark last year.....but I thought they kept at it for large amounts of time. Basic skills let them down (don't be negative Wizardman!!!)

Here comes the paragraph that will anger people and I can't believe Im saying this after his horror game. Lets give Brooks.....a little more time. His passing was shithouse and made a lot of errors. The bit that I still hold onto is the fact he tested the Titans line a few times and nearly sliced though. Like Api, Brooks pre-season was not a smooth one. The spine needs to be given a chance and at least have a few games together....a lot of doubts with the Laurie and Brooks selections...but if we are realistic, they seem to be our best shot....for now. I better leave as my blood pressure is raising...lol.
I thought his partnership with Papi was poor, hopefully it improves or Papi maybe change to right side?

Plus, the uniform looked horrible (and now unlucky) hopefully it’s destined for the bin😂

Apey

Staff member
I hate to say it.....but I told you so.

It IS round one and we will get better. But, I expected a shitload better than what we produced on the park today.

Our halves.....my f**k! Brooks is not great at the best of times but he had an absolute clanger today. He has deadset stolen a living off the back of this club. He simply f**king has to go at the end of the year or sooner.

Our centres had very ordinary games. Talau may need a spell in NSW Cup.

Laurie......f**k him off at the end of the year if we can get someone with promise.
I still can't believe our two useless clubs fought over Luke Brooks. Okay maybe I can..

Tigerm

First Grade
I'm not writing them off after one game. There is a long way to go. But agree, it was a terrible performance by the team.

All it really means atm, is we won't go undefeated for the season.

But, Bateman better be great :D :D :D

Last edited:

Tiger Ted

Bench
I'm not writing them off after one game. There is a long way to go. But agree, it was a terrible performance by the team.

All it really means atm, is we won't go undefeated for the season.

But, Bateman better be great :D :D :D
Based on his form in UK I’m certainly not optimistic albeit he isn’t a player I’m overly attaching much importance on as I’m comfortable with our forwards & expect them to hold their own for entirety of this season.We have glaring probs with our pathetic spine along with the deplorable outside backs.Our backline for many yrs has been an Achilles heel & there is nothing to indicate this is going to change anytime soon.Top 8 for this rabble is a pipe dream.

WA Tiger

Bench
I
Lets give Brooks.....a little more time. His passing was shithouse and made a lot of errors. The bit that I still hold onto is the fact he tested the Titans line a few times and nearly sliced though. Like Api, Brooks pre-season was not a smooth one. The spine needs to be given a chance and at least have a few games together....
Nurse: Doctor we still have a pulse..It’s very faint tho.
Doctor: Ok nurse. Listen are we all clear, If Brooks does regain consciousness, stress of any description on the field and he ends up back in here.
Nurse: I suggest an “orange boy” type role Doctor
Doctor: ok I’ll look into it. What’s the going pay rate for orange boys? Let’s make it happen!!

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Was it only Blore who was injured out of the game?

I thought Kepaoa played OK and should make a good utility for us.

Last edited:

Fordy20

Juniors
Probably picked that trick up from the last time him and Moses played together.

TBF though, there were a couple of sets where Nofo really got us rolling up the park with his cross field runs that people hate so much.

WA Tiger

Bench
I didn’t see any captaincy like “This is what we need to do to win” huddles etc from api (maybe I missed them) All I saw was a few coded hand movements for the next play. A great hooker doesn’t make a good captain…Get amongst it api..

JohnnyThailand

Juniors
I don't see any issues with our 2-5. Every ball they got in that game was near to with a flat line. Naden actually did a great job with what he was given. Staines was given the ball 2 inches from touch nearly every time and had to run back in to avoid being taken into touch. Nofo tried to spark with the cross field runs after getting no space. And I don't blame them for the structure. The halves make the choice on short side raids. Why Brooks would just hand it to Pappali or Naden when there's no overlap or space befuddled me. We're trying to create line breaks that don't exist in the middle of the park, and wondering why lumbering runs with slow play the balls in their 10 don't open overlaps on the edges. The lines reset by the time the ball gets to Douehi or Brooks. We used to cut that to shreds when Lawrence would run damaging lines back in or Marshall hot footed it with sidesteps and dummies. No defender is intimidated by Brooks with the ball. If he runs, jump on him. If he passes, the edge is covered, and there's no hole for the very obvious pass being thrown to Laurie if he's lurking around.

WA Tiger

Bench
Did api speak in the presser? I couldn’t watch it to the end. Api looked incredibly unconfident and incredibly uncomfortable Geez what do we have in store this year? I got a bad feeling. We have to win against Newcastle to put my fears to rest. But seriously we can’t with Brooks at half back. I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a low level of game IQ ..A level that causes us to miss vital opportunities A level that loses games and a level really that is impossible to come back from.....No team can win with that going on. Nofo’s the least of our worries. The longer sheens stays in denial about Brooks the quicker this year turns into being funny..then I’ll be ok..

westerntiger

Juniors
Brooks was a bumbling disgrace on Sunday. Koroisau off the bench just plain stupid. Benji and Robbie may as well throw that notepad into the bay at this point

Tigerm

First Grade
I never watch a losing replay, but sheen’s said we played ok and it was only the poor handling that basically let us down, I sort of agree but, imo a few other things were also very poor.
1. Nofa & Talau defence hasn’t changed, it was shit.
2. Laurie was rocks and diamonds.
3. We were devoid of any options to get over the try line. We certainly had enough opportunities.
4. The passing was atrocious at times, which led to drop ball.
5. Poor goal kicking continues to haunt us.

This stuff is basic footy, hopefully this will change sooner rather than later.

Latest posts