What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Gold Coast @ Leichhardt Oval, Lilyfield

Who will win? Round 1: Wests Tigers v Gold Coast

• Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gold Coast Titans 1-12

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Gold Coast Titans 13+

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Das Hassler

Bench
What happened to Blore? I was so emotional about the tigers not turning up that I missed what happened to him. His stats were
Sackable, I obviously missed something

HIA
You shouldn't be getting emotional....bad for your health and it's only Rnd 1....you could be dead by Easter if you're not careful

Das Hassler

Bench
I'm.puting a lot of it down to new combos first game jitters...it'll be a repair week. Panthers and the Chooks were about as bad ( not to mention the also new look dogs who were off the charts worse) . Get fixed all that need's fixin for next week. If we had to lose then I'm glad the bloopers were shared around so everyone needs to lift. That was Api....Paps and Brooks first game so I'm not too panicked

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
In fairness Simpkins was close to the best on the field while he was there. I guess the idea was Api couldn’t go 80 so would rather have him out there at the end rather than the start
I wouldn’t disagree. I can’t think of any other contenders. Same as what Penrith did with Api

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Have we been misled into thinking Api is fit and injury free? He didn't look that good for the 15mins or so he was on the field.

Pezz70

Juniors
I wouldn’t disagree. I can’t think of any other contenders. Same as what Penrith did with Api
A reflection of how inept we were that Simpkin could even be considered a contender for our best player off that performance. Not saying he was diabolical but his performance was below par for an average NRL first 13 player. I’m sick of the shit the Tigers dish up season after season. Following the tigers is like self flagellation with barbed wire

WA Tiger

Bench
A reflection of how inept we were that Simpkin could even be considered a contender for our best player off that performance. Not saying he was diabolical but his performance was below par for an average NRL first 13 player. I’m sick of the shit the Tigers dish up season after season. Following the tigers is like self flagellation with barbed wire
Yea it’s a bit sad, but I didn’t mind Simpkin . He didn’t stand out for all the wrong reasons and He looked likely at least.

Express to stats;

We won almost every single category but still found a way to lose.

Critical errors at key times on early tackles. The Tigers curse at full power.

Brooks is simply f%^king nonsense for his $1.1m. When he ran I rubbed my eyes.

Doogie needs a 1km square target zone to kick the ball to.

Stef..🤔😞

Tim tried to sound philosophical, but f**k, all those fundamental blunders. He can’t be pleased.

This is a lot of extra work for the coaching stakeholders.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
I can’t take Laurie, the 3rd and 4th tries were directly his fault. 2 basic knock ons with no pressure. Staines fullback, Tupou wing next week
And what’s he doing up in the line and not covering the kick through for their try?

Your attack looks so much better than under Madge. Just need to improve the fundamentals which let you down today.
Api starting from the bench was stupid.Papali’i was awful and looks lost out there with Brooks feeding him the ball.
I’d be playing him in the middle until he adjusts to your style.

Doueihi is your best player but should be sacked from the goal kicking duties.

Api didn’t play in preseason. My guess is he had about an hour in him so the decision was to only burn one change. I would switch Papalii to get him on the same side as Douehi, he has more range to his game than Brooks and would be better able to get something out of him. I’d hardly call him terrible though, was a 6-7/10.

Goalkicking has been diabolical here since Hodgson left, Douehi is probably our second best kicker over the past 15 years (Richards being a runaway leader).

Overall, it is difficult to go from Madgeball to Sheenius footy this quickly. Sheen’s originally came to the club in 2003 and even in 2004 our attack was garbage. Historically we were a team that would finish a season strongly during his first tenure, so I don’t think this result is a disaster. However I do think it is a game we could and should have won. I’d definitely look to bring Wakeham in for Brooks next week and I’d probably also look to get Seyfarth in the side to tighten us up defensively. We aren’t winning games when we are gifting sides 10 points through lazy defence.

JohnnyThailand

Juniors
Just finished watching the game... Didn't make a lot of sense compared to what we saw against the Raiders last week.

Last week the passes were on the chest and to players running onto the ball. Last week the line had starch. Last week there was creativity in the attacking plays.

Today, I thought the forwards played well. Only stymied by no organization from the halves in attack. But as for our backs? Our halfback sucks. Our 5/8th is a centre. And our fullback never generates feedback beyond 'tries hard'.

If I have to watch another set in the oppositions 20 that consists of 3 wasted carry ups, an unimpressive flat footed and easily read dart at the line by Brooks, and a terrible 5th tackle decision by either Douehi or someone who isn't supposed to have the ball I'm gonna... No. I can't say anything. Because I'll have to do it 10000 times this year.

Wizardman

First Grade
Last night, I drilled into our negatives. This morning, I will come up with some....eerr...positives.

Our running forwards were pretty good. While not brilliant, I believe they did their job well enough to give opportunities to win yesterday. Their defence up the middle was very solid as well. A definite and positive passmark from me. Our defensive errors basically came from the Talau-Nofoaluma combination and Laurie....the three men from this game who should be looking over their shoulder this week at the selection table.

I thought the effort from the team was a shitload better than last year....a fairly low watermark last year.....but I thought they kept at it for large amounts of time. Basic skills let them down (don't be negative Wizardman!!!)

Here comes the paragraph that will anger people and I can't believe Im saying this after his horror game. Lets give Brooks.....a little more time. His passing was shithouse and made a lot of errors. The bit that I still hold onto is the fact he tested the Titans line a few times and nearly sliced though. Like Api, Brooks pre-season was not a smooth one. The spine needs to be given a chance and at least have a few games together....a lot of doubts with the Laurie and Brooks selections...but if we are realistic, they seem to be our best shot....for now. I better leave as my blood pressure is raising...lol.

Latest posts