What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 14 vs Sharks @ Southern Cross Group Stadium

Who will win? Round 14: Sharks v Wests Tigers

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
At the start of the year I just wanted a team that could show heart in defence and be in every game with a chance. So far, apart from the warriors game that's what I've got. I'm pretty happy with that considering most people wrote us off as wooden spooners.

For old Balmain supporters we're nowhere near 14 year semis drought back then from 91 to 05. The team is on an upwards tragectory and we may not make it this year but our time will come.

Yesterday was a huge let down as I thought we were going to snatch a late win but there's a lot of reasons to be positive. We are in a way better position as a club than this time last year

Trollhammaren

Juniors
1 Tuimoala Lolohea, 2 Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, 3 Esan Marsters, 4 Mahe Fonua, 5 Corey Thompson, 6 Benji Marshall, 7 Luke Brooks, 8 Russell Packer, 9 Elijah Taylor, 10 Ben Matulino, 11 Chris Lawrence (c), 12 Michael Chee-Kam, 13 Matthew Eisenhuth

Interchange: 14 Alex Twal, 15 Josh Reynolds, 16 Josh Aloai, 17 Tim Grant

Reserves: 18 Robbie Rochow, 19 Tyson Gamble, 20 Pita Godinet, 21 Kevin Naiqama

Tui still at fullback, ET still at #9. This is going to be a long week.

Tiger Ted

Bench
1 Tuimoala Lolohea, 2 Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, 3 Esan Marsters, 4 Mahe Fonua, 5 Corey Thompson, 6 Benji Marshall, 7 Luke Brooks, 8 Russell Packer, 9 Elijah Taylor, 10 Ben Matulino, 11 Chris Lawrence (c), 12 Michael Chee-Kam, 13 Matthew Eisenhuth

Interchange: 14 Alex Twal, 15 Josh Reynolds, 16 Josh Aloai, 17 Tim Grant

Reserves: 18 Robbie Rochow, 19 Tyson Gamble, 20 Pita Godinet, 21 Kevin Naiqama

Tui still at fullback, ET still at #9. This is going to be a long week.
The mind boggles at the selection of the 1 & the 9.
Additionally if Packer doesn’t put in this wk he can fk off !

BuffaloRules

Coach
Any possibility that McQueen is ever in the frame for selection one week?

And signed to 2020 as well...

Think Ivan might have laid a turd with that signing...

Tiger05

First Grade
Any possibility that McQueen is ever in the frame for selection one week?

And signed to 2020 as well...

Think Ivan might have laid a turd with that signing...

Terrible signing but I'm pretty sure he was a JT signing. We still have to see how Packer, Matulino, Tui, Reynolds, Mbye & Twal turn out.

I honestly think Packer is going backwards. I've never liked the Reynolds signing but he was good last week. Twal is a potential gun. Looks better to me that Packer. I think Mybe could be a quality signing.

Tiger05

First Grade
Looking at that team it's obvious we need some players to come back. MWZ should do an average job but he isn't someone who can win you games or add much to the side. A back three of Thompson, Tui and MWZ won't help us go forward and the forwards will need to improve out of sight. I suppose they can pass the ball edge to edge and hopefully Marsters and Fonua get some space.

Our centres are potential defensive liabilities but they can bust the line and offload. Brooks has been a gun all season. That is about the only place our points are going to come from and the wingers backing up after someone makes a bust. Benji can make a couple of good plays but he is also making more poor plays.

Liddle is in reserve grade. I think he has to stay there until he can get his game together. You want to push him but I think it's hurting the kid at the moment. Let him get his game together and then come back into grade.

I still think ET shouldn't be at hooker. Reynolds won't be able to make 80 though. I suppose the best changes might be Godinet in for ET, ET to the right edge, drop MCK from the team and play Kev instead of Tui. It seems to me though a little bit like shuffling deck chairs on the titanic.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I suppose the best changes might be Godinet in for ET, ET to the right edge, drop MCK from the team and play Kev instead of Tui. It seems to me though a little bit like shuffling deck chairs on the titanic.

That instantly makes the team better IMO

Kev went pretty good at fullback last year when Teddy was injured/Origin. Not sure why he hasnt been given a go there, particuarly since Tui has been diabolical the lsat 2 weeks and isnt even goal kicking

Tigerm

First Grade
I think the problem is, we don't know what is happening within the team, are blokes playing busted, discipline issues etc.

Its still a new team that is coming together. I was hoping a top 4 spot this year, but don't think that is possible, but top 8 is still a chance.

I think we are a chance to beat the Sharks, we are still putting in, the Warriors is our only blowout score.

Tiger05

First Grade
That instantly makes the team better IMO

Kev went pretty good at fullback last year when Teddy was injured/Origin. Not sure why he hasnt been given a go there, particuarly since Tui has been diabolical the lsat 2 weeks and isnt even goal kicking

I think Ivan is just giving Tui a good go because I can see him being punted. He doesn't look like a fullback. Last year at 6 he looked good. Maybe he should be at 6 in ISP.

simmo1

First Grade
I think Ivan is just giving Tui a good go because I can see him being punted. He doesn't look like a fullback. Last year at 6 he looked good. Maybe he should be at 6 in ISP.

He should definitely move back to 6 if he is to be picked at all. He looked promising there last year and Benji has been stinking it up for a while now. Move Benji back to the bench and Reynolds to hooker.

I wouldn't mind mixing up our prop rotation. Maybe bring matalino off the bench and start with grant or twal. Ffs packer has to put in more than 18 minutes in his first dig.

We've gotta try something different.

ET at 9. I'm reaching for the bottle already just thinking about it.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Terrible signing but I'm pretty sure he was a JT signing. We still have to see how Packer, Matulino, Tui, Reynolds, Mbye & Twal turn out.

I honestly think Packer is going backwards. I've never liked the Reynolds signing but he was good last week. Twal is a potential gun. Looks better to me that Packer. I think Mybe could be a quality signing.

Looks like you are right about McQueen being a JT signing...

Makes me feel better about Ivan’s judgement...

Tiger05

First Grade

McQueen was a dud signing but we have to wait in relation to IC signings to see how they turn out. I don't think they will be as bad as McQueen. He has looked pretty ordinary in ISP.

Tiger Ted

Bench

The jury is still out big time re majority of Cleary’s signings.Additionally y the fk he sees the need to negotiate 4 yr deals with players who are clearly nothing special beggars belief.Unless the player is an established star in his prime like Thurston Slater or Cam Smith then 4 yr contracts r fraught !

Makes me feel better about Ivan’s judgement..
With a little searching it's safe to say that Taylor started it.

From Foxsports April 12, 2017

WESTS Tigers have signed Gold Coast forward Chris McQueen on a three-year NRL deal which runs until 2020.
The former Queensland Origin back-rower will play out the season with the Titans before linking up with Ivan Cleary’s Tigers side in 2018.

It’s understood McQueen’s contract is worth around $400,000 per season.

“I’m really looking forward to having Chris on board for the next three seasons,” Cleary said in a statement.

From the Courier Mail Feb 23, 2017
The Tigers are set to offer Chris McQueen a three-year deal. ... McQueen had a positive meeting with Wests Tigers coach Jason Taylor....

From nrl.com Dec 15, 2017
Wests Tigers recruit Chris McQueen could have been forgiven for feeling unwanted by Ivan Cleary after being the club's final signing for 2018 by Jason Taylor before the coach was sacked.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Winning this game is easy, all we need to do:
1. Sign Mbye
2. Sign Farah
3. Re-arrange team like so:

1. Mybe
2. MWZ
3. Marsters
4. Fonua
5. Thompson
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Packer
9. Farah
10. Twal
11. Lawrence
12. Taylor
13. Eisenhuth

14. Matulino
15. Grant
16. Sue
17. Aloai

By having two 80 minute 2nd rowers and an 80 minute hooker we are basically rotating 9 props through the middle 3 forwards

It's so good its Sheenius

Shredder

Juniors
BrotherJim Its simple isnt it.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, I didnt want to just click "like"

Tiger05

First Grade
Winning this game is easy, all we need to do:
1. Sign Mbye
2. Sign Farah
3. Re-arrange team like so:

1. Mybe
2. MWZ
3. Marsters
4. Fonua
5. Thompson
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Packer
9. Farah
10. Twal
11. Lawrence
12. Taylor
13. Eisenhuth

14. Matulino
15. Grant
16. Sue
17. Aloai

By having two 80 minute 2nd rowers and an 80 minute hooker we are basically rotating 9 props through the middle 3 forwards

It's so good its Sheenius

This is exactly what I want to see at some point in the future. I would be fine though with 6 middle forwards - Packer/Matulino/Twal/Eienhuth/Aloiai & one of Grant or Sue. You could have MCK on the bench that would cover for injuries in the backs or give us some quality time (he was playing good footy of the bench) on the edge. You could even have 2 hookers. I'd love to see Liddle get some time on the park because he looks good at times.

That pack shouldn't get rolled and the backs should be able to score some points. The only concern is a weak back 3 but at least they have some speed and ability.

Mybe and a hooker can't come quick enough can they. They would change our team significantly.