What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 16 vs Warriors @ Scully Park

Who will win? Round 16: Warriors v Knights

• Warriors 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zoidberg

First Grade
The issue is “attitude” has been addressed before. They know it’s a problem but still can’t fix it.

Knight Vision

First Grade
These guys are first choice players in our 17 and arent there.
  • Brailey
  • Lee
  • Sione
  • Best
  • Glasby
  • Dsaf
  • Watson
Mann is a utility as our dummy half, a reserve grader is our 5/8, 2 fringe/reserve grade players on the bench, a rookie is our "utility" .

Would they have made a difference today? Sadly I dont think so. Today was just a shit attitude.

Spot On

Coach
So generally it’s attitude??? WHY??? First grade players, paid lots of money, chance to play semi’s etc, even under 10’s go out wanting to win, not many in this side/squad has played in a 1st grade semi let alone final/grand final. What does it take to make them up and ready for a game.
I have asked questions so does anyone have me some answers, I mean real answers.
I have one, more a suggestion than an answer, make Guerra captain, sack Pearce as captain tell him to tow the line and play for the team and if we don’t make home semi plus then no contract beyond his present one

Sold!

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I’ve been pretty forgiving of Pearce for a while now, maybe I expected him to come good and recapture the form he showed in 2018 and parts of 2019 but today is the straw that breaks the camels back for me and I’m now firmly in the “don’t re-sign Pearce” camp. It’s not that he’s totally responsible for the loss (given how impotent our forwards were today) but it’s more that he didn’t show even a microcosm of creativity when we needed him to.

When we were down 18-6 with about 20 mins left in the game that would have been the right time to chance our arm a bit. The forwards needed to move the ball around in the middle and try a few offloads and Pearce needed to throw in a chip & chase, mid field grubber or an early kick to turn the defence around or even just marshalling the troops and demanding a bit more from his team. However we got a bunch of one out hit-ups over and over again with a non-threatening bomb at the end of it. It’s like we went into robot-mode for the second half and somehow thought that it would win us the game.

Pearce just doesn’t seem to have any footy IQ, he seems to be pre-programmed all the time to do the same predictable thing. I’m not sure whether this is a coaching thing or whether he just doesn’t have the vision in the game to be able to do something different.

I’m not questioning his effort because I know he gives his all for this club but he just isn’t a very smart footy player unfortunately. He’s got one more year left with us and I hope he’s able to make the most of it but I seriously hope that once the player market is back in full swing that AOB is looking for a quality halfback for 2022 and beyond.

Also just on our forward pack. They were a disgrace today, they got beaten up and dominated by a patched up team. I also can’t get my head around this one out stuff every single set. I feel like we just don’t attack at all unless we’re in the opposition’s 20m zone, so there’s basically an 80m zone where the other team doesn’t need to worry about us doing anything other than one-out hit ups. I would love to see our forwards running in 2s and 3s and throwing a few short balls to each other to at least put the defence in 2 minds, in fact the one time that we did it was when Herman passed to Fitz and he went straight through and ran about 40 metres up field. So why did we then not do it again for the whole rest of the game?

I like AOB but I’m questioning what he’s actually doing with our attack because we seem completely clueless way too often, it’s been embarrassing watching us try to bumble our way to scoring a try in some of the games this year.

I really don't know what the solution is for us to be able to achieve anything other than scraping into the 8 and bowing out.
Attitude, yeah. But I think we need structure, leadership and direction. Pearce will never do that. Green might have settled us down a bit and given us some structure. I don't think we have anyone else who can. I reckon it should be coming from a 9.
Levi didn't work at all for us except that there were times when we'd get some structure from him. At times, not many, he'd come on and the pack would settle down behind him with options instead of one out hit ups. We need that and more. They really tightened up their defence against us in the second half. First half we had some penetration, second half they shut the one off hit ups down and we had nothing else.
We need an organiser and a settler, someone to take control, someone with experience.
No solution for this year I think.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Pearce just doesn’t seem to have any footy IQ, he seems to be pre-programmed all the time to do the same predictable thing. I’m not sure whether this is a coaching thing or whether he just doesn’t have the vision in the game to be able to do something different.
this

He’s got one more year left with us and I hope he’s able to make the most of it but I seriously hope that once the player market is back in full swing that AOB is looking for a quality halfback for 2022 and beyond.
They should be looking now, I'd even go so far to say of we dot have room in the cap then offload a couple of our non essential utility players - lets no waste another season

Also just on our forward pack. They were a disgrace today
played like a bunch of eunuchs.......... no f**king balls

I would love to see our forwards running in 2s and 3s and throwing a few short balls to each other to at least put the defence in 2 minds, in fact the one time that we did it was when Herman passed to Fitz and he went straight through and ran about 40 metres up field. So why did we then not do it again for the whole rest of the game?
Indeed, why is a very very good question. It's like no one is out there calling the shots.

I like AOB but I’m questioning what he’s actually doing with our attack because we seem completely clueless way too often
The honeymoon period will be finished soon for AOB if the team doesnt grow a pair of balls and play with some aggression.

newyboy

Juniors
Leg speed, we have no explosive forwards.

Also Ponga needs to watch some Terry Lamb and Robbie Ross highlight tapes and learn about backing up. Tedesco even has a go and it pays off every now and then.

Knight Vision

First Grade

Also Ponga needs to watch some Terry Lamb and Robbie Ross highlight tapes and learn about backing up. Tedesco even has a go and it pays off every now and then.
we have the 3rd most run mtrs in the comp, not too much wrong in that dept......

We're a ferrari with no one at the wheel

Loose Cannon

Bench

Take a look where Ponga stood in attack all game. 24 inches off Kurt Mann’s crack.

Not going to work. Needs more width. Green gave it, Lino can provide. But not happening. Structure is awful

Knight Vision

First Grade
watching the Bulldogs in the opening minutes playing with more enthusiasm they we did all game....
nothing to play for , bottom of the table team of nobodies.

Compete compete compete, Line speed , aggression , intent, in attack bodies in motion and backing up......their hungry.

Hope they show the Knights this first half on Monday

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/...m-players-following-warriors-belting/?cs=2503

KNIGHTS | Coach Adam O'Brien to conduct honesty session with his squad after Warriors debacle

BARRY TOOHEY

Newcastle Knights

Adam O'Brien will gather all his players together at some stage today for their weekly post-game review where he'll be looking for answers to one simple question.

All the Knights coach wants to know is why.

Why his footy side, with so much to play for after working so hard to put themselves right in the thick of finals contention, was humiliated on Saturday by the Warriors in Tamworth.

"I'm going to need answers from the group on Monday," O'Brien told the Newcastle Herald.

"I want to know why we think we can turn up like that. Why is it the three o'clock games, why is it the teams below us, why do we think we can just turn up and dip a toe at the start and expect everything will happen for us.

"Why? That's what I want answers for and we might be there for a while if we don't come up with something."

O'Brien's reaction to his side's dismal 36-6 defeat is understandable. He genuinely believed there were positive signs his players had conquered their mental demons in recent weeks after dismal loses to the lowly-placed Cowboys and Bulldogs earlier in the season.

Then they go and dish up that five weeks out from the finals when a top four berth is still within reach.

It felt like the back-end of 2019 revisited. Their simple errors to start the game and the disinterested defence at the death even had a stench of 2016 about it without the excuses.

The opening 40 minutes against the Cowboys in Townsville was poor but this was the side's worst performance under O'Brien.

Take nothing away from the Warriors, they were exceptional. Everything the Knights weren't. They respected the footy, continually mounted pressure and had the brilliance of the likes of fullback Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to produce the killer blows off the back of a whole lot of dominance.

Not surprisingly, O'Brien struggled to come up with one positive from the game.

"We gave away eight penalties and made 11 errors in the game, and we'd conceded 14 off-loads by half-time," O'Brien said. "They are pretty telling stats.

"I'm not pointing the finger at anyone because right across the board, we needed to be a whole lot better than that - everyone.

"It was the basics of the game - hanging onto the footy, making your tackles and sticking your contact. Just being everything we said we wanted to be at the start of the year.

"I didn't see any of that right from the start of the game. If you want to turn the ball over, you better defend well and we didn't do that. In the end, we got what we deserved."

O'Brien said he didn't see a performance like that coming.

"The build-up was good, they were saying the right things about it being a big game but our actions didn't back our words up," he said.

"I need to know why. If we want to get something out of the season, we have to make it happen, not expect it to happen."

Spot On

Coach
Good ol' honesty session.

Last throw of the dice.

Hopefully a few of them speak up and say what needs to be said.

They can turn it around if they want to.

Knight Vision

First Grade
you're born with a pair of balls or your not... no chance of growing a pair during an honesty session.

No pride in themselves