What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 18 vs Melbourne @ AAMI Park

Who will win? Round 18: Melbourne v Newcastle

• Melbourne Storm 13+

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Melbourne Storm 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono078

Referee
This is the sort of game where we should just cut our losses and rest anyone who’s carrying an injury. I also wouldn’t want Ponga to back up because in the past he’s usually injured himself when backing up after Origin.

We’re not even close to the storm and their second string side without their origin players still should beat us comfortably so I would rather the coaching staff treat this as a game as an opportunity to keep our stars on the park long term. The run home is more important than a game that we have about a 10% chance of winning.
This crossed my mind, but also this is an opportunity to beat Melbourne with their stars backing up too - that would be a HUGE confident boost moving forward. So the risk/reward here is high.

Imagine Ponga backs up and we run out 1-17 and we beat the Storm - that does huge things for us IMO.

GidleyTwinz

Juniors
This is the sort of game where we should just cut our losses and rest anyone who’s carrying an injury. I also wouldn’t want Ponga to back up because in the past he’s usually injured himself when backing up after Origin.

We’re not even close to the storm and their second string side without their origin players still should beat us comfortably so I would rather the coaching staff treat this as a game as an opportunity to keep our stars on the park long term. The run home is more important than a game that we have about a 10% chance of winning.

I don't really understand this line of thinking. If we're no chance of even beating the storm's second string side, why bother resting players?

To maybe help us get enough points to make the finals? Who cares if we make the finals if we're literally no chance to compete?

May as well just phone it in for the rest of the season, which is exactly the message the coach would be sending to the squad by resting blokes for the game this week... Sounds like something Brownie might do - remind me why half the squad quit on him again?

Yosh

Coach
I think we should be playing our best weekly. We have had many players injured and they should be relatively less fatigued compared to players who have played the whole season.

I want us to win every remaining game. I don't think it's out of the question if we keep our first choice spine on the field.

Jono078

Referee
Pretty sure the only guys to play every match have ben Brailey and Barnett, and they've just had the BYE.

We should be full steam ahead now.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
This crossed my mind, but also this is an opportunity to beat Melbourne with their stars backing up too - that would be a HUGE confident boost moving forward. So the risk/reward here is high.

Imagine Ponga backs up and we run out 1-17 and we beat the Storm - that does huge things for us IMO.
I agree there’s almost nothing sweeter than beating Melbourne but I can’t help but feel that we’re just not at that level yet.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I don't really understand this line of thinking. If we're no chance of even beating the storm's second string side, why bother resting players?

To maybe help us get enough points to make the finals? Who cares if we make the finals if we're literally no chance to compete?

May as well just phone it in for the rest of the season, which is exactly the message the coach would be sending to the squad by resting blokes for the game this week... Sounds like something Brownie might do - remind me why half the squad quit on him again?
I felt bad posting this but I suppose I’m just a bit jaded by all the years of being completely outclassed and out enthused by Melbourne, Roosters, Panthers et al.

Realistically are we a chance of winning the comp???

No.

However I think we could slip into the bottom of the top 8 and knock off a side in week one which I feel would be a good result and help set us on the right path for next year.

I don’t expect the coach to actually take this approach btw. It’s more a representation of how I feel about where we’re at as a team. The better sides are so far ahead of us and there are certain fixtures I look at on paper and just don’t see how we can win them.

My biggest concern is Ponga. He’s going to play in a super physical game tomorrow night and will undoubtably be targeted by the blues and will probably get knocked around, battered and bruised. If we then ask him to back up I just can’t see it ending well for us and then if he’s out for another few weeks that greatly dents our chances for the run home.

I admit that my post looks pretty negative but as a fan I just feel like I’ve seen it all too many times haha.

GidleyTwinz

Juniors
I felt bad posting this but I suppose I’m just a bit jaded by all the years of being completely outclassed and out enthused by Melbourne, Roosters, Panthers et al.

No.

However I think we could slip into the bottom of the top 8 and knock off a side in week one which I feel would be a good result and help set us on the right path for next year.

I don’t expect the coach to actually take this approach btw. It’s more a representation of how I feel about where we’re at as a team. The better sides are so far ahead of us and there are certain fixtures I look at on paper and just don’t see how we can win them.

My biggest concern is Ponga. He’s going to play in a super physical game tomorrow night and will undoubtably be targeted by the blues and will probably get knocked around, battered and bruised. If we then ask him to back up I just can’t see it ending well for us and then if he’s out for another few weeks that greatly dents our chances for the run home.

I admit that my post looks pretty negative but as a fan I just feel like I’ve seen it all too many times haha.
I can actually totally relate to the worry about Ponga backing up from origin. I absolutely am worried too.

Which, as I think of it, is actually a bit of a major concern. There does seem to be something about his body composition that makes him injury prone - especially in the lower half of his body.

But it's a bit of an informative moment for the club - all the really elite players back up, or at least could if they needed to (maybe some forwards are exceptions). If KP is so physically unable to stay healthy, then it doesn't matter how talented he is, he won't be able to ever drag us to a premiership.

None of my mates who are Roosters fans are worried about Tedesco backing up from a "super physical game"

Jono078

Referee

No.
Now listen... I don't want to get toooooo crazy here, BUT...

If there was ever a season where things were seemingly aligning for us at the right time and also having confidence our full strength team can build to something over the coming months, especially while those above us start to get crippled at this stage of the year... I am not ruling this out.

Close enough if good enough is my train of thought with the team right now.

You can go back through my posts and threads from April or so but I've always felt that our early struggles would be long forgotten by a super strong finish, which so far is unfolding just as I had planned in my super optimistic imagination.

If we really put in an effort in this game we've got a lot to gain. Clifford is still fairly fresh and there are a lot of combinations that could develop.

The gap between the top teams and the rest is huge.
I'd like to still think any team on their day can beat any other but it's harder with that gap.
A positive for us is that we have more to gain than they have to lose.
Maybe they'll take it too lightly (but not likely).

Yosh

Coach
If we really put in an effort in this game we've got a lot to gain. Clifford is still fairly fresh and there are a lot of combinations that could develop.

The gap between the top teams and the rest is huge.
I'd like to still think any team on their day can beat any other but it's harder with that gap.
A positive for us is that we have more to gain than they have to lose.
Maybe they'll take it too lightly (but not likely).

I know I am totally biased but I honestly think we are the closest to the top teams compared to the others. The first half of the season wasn't pretty but we are still 8th (or there abouts) some how. That's going to be hugely motivating for the club.

Furthermore, the whole side looked a lot more confident against the Cowboys. It's easy to see why with Ponga out the back instead of Hoy and having Pearce lead the side around instead of running around like headless chickens following Mann. Confidence breeds confidence.

I really can't see us losing a game again during the regular season, bar the Storm game, maybe. The bubble might be bad news for other clubs but getting our boys out of their comfort zone in Newcastle might just be the biggest blessing in disguise. On top of that, we are grouped with the best sides in the competition in the Panthers and Roosters as well. It feels to be all the stars are lining up.

To conclude, I can't see us losing another game for the rest of the regular season. I'm willing to bet we beat the Storm or at least take the game down to the wire. I see us finishing 4th or even 5th. Crazy because we literally had the worst half season I've ever seen but that's how crazy the world is right now.

ryan.a87

Juniors
I know I am totally biased but I honestly think we are the closest to the top teams compared to the others. The first half of the season wasn't pretty but we are still 8th (or there abouts) some how. That's going to be hugely motivating for the club.

Furthermore, the whole side looked a lot more confident against the Cowboys. It's easy to see why with Ponga out the back instead of Hoy and having Pearce lead the side around instead of running around like headless chickens following Mann. Confidence breeds confidence.

I really can't see us losing a game again during the regular season, bar the Storm game, maybe. The bubble might be bad news for other clubs but getting our boys out of their comfort zone in Newcastle might just be the biggest blessing in disguise. On top of that, we are grouped with the best sides in the competition in the Panthers and Roosters as well. It feels to be all the stars are lining up.

To conclude, I can't see us losing another game for the rest of the regular season. I'm willing to bet we beat the Storm or at least take the game down to the wire. I see us finishing 4th or even 5th. Crazy because we literally had the worst half season I've ever seen but that's how crazy the world is right now.

I know what you mean. I know Im totally biased, but you look at the team sheets for this weekend, and on paper - I truely believe we have the better team. Obviously the storm are a different beast and their systems are so much better

but looking at their 1-17,. I would probably take Olam and Fox over Mann and Tuala.......I would rather Clifford over Munster atm (munster hasnt been that good this year), you could make an argument for Hughes over Pearce......and I would take Bromwich over Fitz.........but thats it.......our bench is much better than theirs and wouldnt trade anyone else in our forward pack

slotmachine

First Grade

That you Brownie?
Should probably focus on your team losing five straight over the origin period mate.

I understand why you have that opinion mate

However, its a losers attitude and thats exactly what this club needs to turn around

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I understand why you have that opinion mate

However, its a losers attitude and thats exactly what this club needs to turn around

As I’ve stated before. My opinion is somewhat influenced by the last 15 years of supporting an underperforming club so I feel like it’s best not to get my hopes up.

I’m sure the coaching staff are thinking about our upcoming game differently to me, and that’s why they’re getting paid big bucks to run the team.

My opinion will be influenced more towards the positive when I see us actually performing consistently on the field and if we actually manage to beat a top side or two or at least play well against them.

Zoidberg

First Grade

That is such a biased view, and I loved reading it. I dearly hope you are close to the mark.

Jono078

Referee
Let's play a fun game of overs/unders.

The Storm this year have some ridiculous scoring averages.

After 16 games it's as follows:
Attack: 36.50 points per game
Defence: 12.13 points per game

With that information... Would you think we are going to be able to score more than 12 points against them, and more importantly do you think we can hold them to under 36 points?

Sounds bleak, but if we can do that you would just about consider it a win if we can negatively impact their averages!

Latest posts