What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 18 vs Melbourne @ AAMI Park

Who will win? Round 18: Melbourne v Newcastle

• Melbourne Storm 13+

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Melbourne Storm 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Still Nutty

Juniors
Let's play a fun game of overs/unders.

The Storm this year have some ridiculous scoring averages.

After 16 games it's as follows:
Attack: 36.50 points per game
Defence: 12.13 points per game

With that information... Would you think we are going to be able to score more than 12 points against them, and more importantly do you think we can hold them to under 36 points?

Sounds bleak, but if we can do that you would just about consider it a win if we can negatively impact their averages!
Although I would like to see a clear impact on both our 'against' and 'for' figures, if I wanted to see impact on one over the other, I'd like to see us keep our 'against' below 24 for this game.

Our defence seems to be turning a corner and I am more interested in seeing a sustained improvement on that front than adding 6 or 8 points a game to our 'for' column at this point in our development. Doing that but still 'leaking' 36 points to the Storm will not see us playing competitive football this year.

The main reason Melbourne have been a powerhouse for so long is because their 'against' is consistently down to those levels against all comers - if we can build and sustain improvement there, our opportunity to play and compete in finals football will be greatly improved this year and into the future.

slotmachine

First Grade
I;m pretty interested in how the game plays out overall rather than how many storm put on.

If we control field position through the forwards and kicking game but leak a few long range tries because the Storm are just ridiculously talented that's a better result than battling away off our try line for 80 minutes.

Jono078

Referee
Glad we didn’t go straight from Newcastle to Melbourne to prep for the match- looks like the storm will be rushing up to Queensland tonight to get out of Victoria.
I'll say it again... something about recent times has things aligning in our favour. Enjoy the ride, the next few months should be fun.

perverse

Referee
Mann into halves with Sasagi into the centres? Rather that than move Connor
I'd definitely prefer Watson and Clifford in the halves, but it ain't gonna happen. Coaches favourite Derpy McCantpass will get the nod. He was in the QLD squad after all!!

PhilGould

Bench
I see moving Connor out of his role and into the halves as weakening a legitimate strength. Moving Mann doesn't move the needle either way

perverse

Referee
I see moving Connor out of his role and into the halves as weakening a legitimate strength. Moving Mann doesn't move the needle either way
I just think weakening our pack or bench to keep Kurt Mann away from the ball is a satisfactory trade off. We can cover a weakening in our pack. We can't cover Kurt Mann trying to handle the ball 40+ times a match. It ruins the entire team.

Latest posts