What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 18 vs Roosters @ Sydney Cricket Ground

Who will win? Round 18: Roosters v Knights

• Sydney Roosters 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slotmachine

First Grade
Not sure if the coaching staff can manufacture some attack over the off season. Don't think Frizzel will make much difference either. Strong ball carrier but those outside him will not see any ball. He does not pass and rarely offloads.

I was day dreaming yesterday and thinking swapping herman, guerra and glasby for frizzel and upgrades isn't going to make us a better team.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
This.

Both points

But the Great Andrew Jonhs said Hoy is this and that. He's a couple of seasons in reggies away being ready for firsts in whatever position he is suited.

We do have issues with the roster, namely - and obviously - the halves.

We also have issues on the edges and a total lack of creativity across the board in attack - with the exception of Ponga and a gun centre.

Not sure if the coaching staff can manufacture some attack over the off season. Don't think Frizzel will make much difference either. Strong ball carrier but those outside him will not see any ball. He does not pass and rarely offloads.

We need a genius attacking coach ASAP.
Agree with the last point here.

For all the Pearce bashing, it's not Pearce's game plan than sees us solely rely on one out hit ups that good defensive teams just swallow up.
Look at how the Titans forwards play. Lots of passes before the line between forwards, support runners too.
We play such a predictable style that if we want to move the ball wide the defence knows exactly who the one runner is we're targeting.

All year it's been "focus on defence, attack will come." Well there are two rounds left and we're the one of the most bland attacking teams in the comp.

Pearce is on a decline, that can't be denied, but a lot of this falls on the coaching not putting the team in positions to compete.

Knight Vision

First Grade

For all the Pearce bashing, it's not Pearce's game plan than sees us solely rely on one out hit ups that good defensive teams just swallow up.
Look at how the Titans forwards play. Lots of passes before the line between forwards, support runners too.
We play such a predictable style that if we want to move the ball wide the defence knows exactly who the one runner is we're targeting.

All year it's been "focus on defence, attack will come." Well there are two rounds left and we're the one of the most bland attacking teams in the comp.

Pearce is on a decline, that can't be denied, but a lot of this falls on the coaching not putting the team in positions to compete.
I agree on all points. We werent playing 17 immortals, any time a team puts 40 on you it shows a lack of attitude.

Pearce is NOT enjoying his footy and is at the bitter end of his career, I wouldnt be totally surprised if he pulls the pin. He looks like a guy with the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Our halves are a real issue. If we dont have room under the cap for a playmaker then we need to make room.

Our attack sucks. The attacking coach has got to go. Even lower placed teams play a more exciting attacking style of footy.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I don’t get why, if we are so confident in our defence (are we?) we don’t chance our hand more often in attack. Playing way too safe to ask any questions of their defence.

In defence of last nights attack, we looked drained of energy. We got monstered from kick-off and we were on the back foot most of the night. When we finally had a couple of chances to get some late points we looked too exhausted to offer much.

Knight Vision

First Grade
No doubt AOB is a decent coach but does he have the kahuna's and a ruthlessness to be successful time will tell.

Next season we are going to have Mann, Watson and Hoy in our squad with no obvious position for all 3 of them......and we have no money for a decent 5/8?

Pearce is a dilemma. Can basically stick a fork in him he's done. There's a cool 1 million invested in him and he is not value for money.

The attacking coach has got to go.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I do like AOB as a coach and this is a team he inherited. Hopefully he can get the players he thinks we need to come in over the next 12months. I think our improved form (sometimes) will be more incentive to attract better players too.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I do like AOB as a coach and this is a team he inherited. Hopefully he can get the players he thinks we need to come in over the next 12months. I think our improved form (sometimes) will be more incentive to attract better players too.

There's some big calls to be made, I'm interested to see if he has the balls to pull the trigger.

Spot On

Coach

Do you want the club to keep Pearce beyond his current contract?

Jono078

Referee
I think some are underestimating how much Brailey will bring for us next year - the signs were promising early this year and everything starts from his positions with decision making and delivery to get us on the front foot.

Frizzell hasn't had the best year, but go watch any Origin game he's in to remember what he can offer.

Fair bit of doom and gloom above, but there's still reason to be excited and optimistic.

I do think we'll fall flat and exit this years comp relatively easily because we just aren't showing the same sort of cohesion and desire as those above us, but there's plenty to work with for next season.

Spot On

Coach
I think some are underestimating how much Brailey will bring for us next year - the signs were promising early this year and everything starts from his positions with decision making and delivery to get us on the front foot.

Frizzell hasn't had the best year, but go watch any Origin game he's in to remember what he can offer.

Fair bit of doom and gloom above, but there's still reason to be excited and optimistic.

I do think we'll fall flat and exit this years comp relatively easily because we just aren't showing the same sort of cohesion and desire as those above us, but there's plenty to work with for next season.

I don't read it as doom and gloom but obvious strengths and weaknesses.

I agree re Brailey somewhat, but if he goes down in R3 next year then prepare for the same probs again unless there are structures in attack to promote the footy, not resorting to hit ups and a Mitchell Pearce low, end over end whatever you call it to end of sets. That is rubbish and Brailey won't fix that crap anyway. The halves must create and the coaching staff must do a good job here. Pearce is probably the most 'uncreative' half in the comp.

As for Frizzel, if he does not pass the footy or add anything much in attack (use of the ball) then we are not recruiting to strengthen our weaknesses.

Last edited:

Zoidberg

First Grade
I like Pearce but he needs to have the right halves partner. We haven’t had that for him. The Clifford (Cowboys) rumour has my interest. If we can’t get the right partner for Pearce next year, or he can’t improve with the right person, we don’t keep him.
Injuries haven’t been our friend again.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I like Pearce but he needs to have the right halves partner. We haven’t had that for him. The Clifford (Cowboys) rumour has my interest. If we can’t get the right partner for Pearce next year, or he can’t improve with the right person, we don’t keep him.
Injuries haven’t been our friend again.
The Clifford rumor has my attention for sure. Not often a young talented half comes on the market.

I hope there's something more to it than just rumour.

Yosh

Coach
As much as it sucks to watch us lose like plodders, this will be the first time we make the finals in a million years. As our wins started to stack up, so did our expectations. I think anyone here would have taken a top 6 finish with arms wide open at the start of the season.

The attack needs to improve. No doubt. Perhaps the idea was the improve gradually over a 2 or 3 year period. Work on the defense and attitude problem at the club first. Then slowly get in the team AOB wants, and challenge for the premiership from the 3rd year onward.

Anyhow. It hurt to watch that yesterday. If any other player threw that pisstake of an excuse of a pass to Fitzgibbon, they would be dropped automatically. I hope Pearce gets a week or two off before the finals because he needs it.

ryana87

Juniors
If AOB is willing to rest ponga vs Roosters...... Surely he can rest Pearce vs Dragons....... I just want to see Crossland given the no7 to see just how ineffective Pearce is vs a rookie

I reckon 9 is where our organisation and structure could come from. We've focused on delivery out of 9 (we've had to with injuries) and some play making but nowhere near the leadership we could have it we had someone like Cooke at 9. The new there's Cameron Smith...
Brailey might become that.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I think there is no doubt that Brailey would have made our attack look a lot sharper. He seems to be the most creative hooker we’ve had since Buderus. Macca did a good job of tackling and passing but didn’t really control the flow of the attack much and Watson is more of an opportunistic runner around the ruck. Mann has filled in admirably at 9 but his service is inconsistent and he doesn’t do much with the ruck.

Realistically we were always going to have a game like this here and there especially considering how difficult this season has been. The positive is that we’re playing finals footy again which feels pretty good. We have plenty of improvement left in us and stuff to work in for 2021 but let’s just savour what we have achieved this year.