What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 20 vs Canberra @ Suncorp Stadium

Who will win? Round 20: Newcastle v Canberra

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Canberra Raiders 1-12

• Canberra Raiders 13+

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

perverse

Referee
As far as what went right today - we turned up across the park. We still looked pretty lost in attack at times, worryingly so occasionally - but it was the effort on efforts and doing the little things right and Ponga and Bests class on the left that pulled us through it.

That is the kind of game I've been dying to see from us all year when not at full strength. Just show up and do your job as best you can. It's not complicated, it just takes hard work and some mental fortitude. You could cop losing games if we at least showed up like we did today and had a crack, rather than dropping the heads and giving up after one or two things go wrong. We need to fix that consistently to take the next step up as a club, and it's kinda irrelevant who takes the field until we have it. We'll never be consistent without it.

Zoidberg

First Grade
We still did the old “mistake, followed by a ruck infringement, followed by a penalty” sequence we often do.

Well, he sucked when he played hooker is all too. We already tried that. I mean, objectively speaking what did he do today? Made some good tackles and one or two good kicks... that was it. He does a very convincing invisible man impersonation, but because he can make a few tackles everyone seems to want to find a spot to squeeze him into the team. He's nowhere near a full strength NRL team at this stage. I think if he keeps developing in reserve grade, he will give us good service as a backup half and who knows down the track, maybe he can reach the lofty heights of a late blooming Chad Townsend or something.

With no teams banging the door down to sign him, and him not banging the door down to be included in first grade, I don't see any reason to try and work him into the team in a position that isn't the halves. He's fine as depth.
Pump the brakes a little there big fella

In no way am I saying he is in out top 17, not even top 20 to be honest.

He'd make a handy back up hooker is all. He can defend, pass and run. Can't see much future in the halves for him

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Good game from us today, not perfect but any stretch, conceding 24 points wasn’t great but a couple of those tries were in garbage time when the game was as good as over.

It was really great to see us playing a bit more expansively today. A couple of those shifts to our left edge were slick and it was good to have Bradman back.

I actually think the turning point in this game was early on when we successfully defended about 4 consecutive sets on our own line then forced an error and everyone came running in to congratulate the tackler. Then we went up the other end and scored a try to go up 12-0, this really put us on the front foot for the rest of the first half.

I’m not sure where I stand on Crossland. He was invisible last week and looked a bit more involved today but certainly wasn’t doing much more than tackling and the occasional kick or pass. He’s playing like a guy who doesn’t want to make a mistake and be responsible for something going wrong. Clifford on the other hand is prepared to fire some shots, not all of them are going to be successful but he wants the ball in his hands and wants to influence the result. I think if Crossland is ever going to be a first grader he needs to demand the ball and up his involvement in the game.

Jono078

Referee
I think Crossland is a victim of COVID. If he had the last 18 months in reserves to build his game he’d be a lot better player right now.

He really needs that comp next year to call all the shots and get his hand on the ball and make some plays.

Certainly not a write-off yet IMO but there is a big difference between he and Clifford right now.

Also thought AOB had one of his better conferences. He said he is almost at fault for signaling the game was done when he got Ponga off but he did it purely for the fact we’ll be playing again in 4 day time, but he wasn’t happy about the last two tries.

Rod

Bench
Clifford isn't the sort of half who has his fingerprints all over the game but some of the things he does make a big difference. The kick for Mann was perfect, and his kicking game in general has added a lot with the likes of his long kicks and spiral bombs. I'm keen to see how he goes with an extended period next to Pearce.

aqua_duck

Coach
Clifford isn't the sort of half who has his fingerprints all over the game but some of the things he does make a big difference. The kick for Mann was perfect, and his kicking game in general has added a lot with the likes of his long kicks and spiral bombs. I'm keen to see how he goes with an extended period next to Pearce.
Clifford has some really good attributes for a half, one of the biggest boots in the comp, decent short kicking game, can take the line on and his a really good size for a half.
I don't think it's much coincidence the cowboys won 3 out of 4 right before he left and half lost 7 straight since

Yosh

Coach
He is a big body in defense as well. I think he needs to learn to manage the game better. Take early kicks, know when to just kick it long and deep instead of just high.

I think he also needs to return back to the right.

Re Clifford, for his few flaws he's still by far the best half we've had here in forever. Like really, he craps all over anyone from recent times including Pearce. He can kick... how long has it been since we've had that?

Alex28

Coach
Re Clifford, for his few flaws he's still by far the best half we've had here in forever. Like really, he craps all over anyone from recent times including Pearce. He can kick... how long has it been since we've had that?
🤣🤣🤣

Clifford is a good kicker, but he’s average at everything else. You really hate Pearce huh.

Latest posts