What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 20 vs Wests Tigers @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 20: Newcastle v Wests Tigers

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Wests Tigers 1-12

• Wests Tigers 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mozza91

Coach
I winced, he got absolutely monstered lol. Got straight up, to his credit. I daren't say it aloud... but he's actually been getting better lately. We'll see how he goes under pressure against a decent team though.
He’s serviceable and is getting better but watching Koroisau tonight made me realise how much difference a high quality hooker makes. If we had Brailey all season I think we’d be playing Finals football.

aqua_duck

Coach
I winced, he got absolutely monstered lol. Got straight up, to his credit. I daren't say it aloud... but he's actually been getting better lately. We'll see how he goes under pressure against a decent team though.
Crossland is indestructible, I’ve seen him get smashed, get run over, get ragdolled and at times there’s part of me that was hoping it’d be enough for him to at least get taken off for a check up or for him to be winded or something minor but nope he manages to get up every single time.
I think maybe the fact he hasn’t got a single fast twitch muscle fibre in his body makes him a lot more durable

Apey

Staff member
He’s serviceable and is getting better but watching Koroisau tonight made me realise how much difference a high quality hooker makes. If we had Brailey all season I think we’d be playing Finals football.
I thought Api phoned it in a bit tonight tbh. But even when he's phoning it in his service is very good.

mozza91

Coach
I thought Api phoned it in a bit tonight tbh. But even when he's phoning it in his service is very good.
The difference when he went off and Simpkin came on was massive. He’s such a running threat and almost always makes the right decision.

perverse

Referee
Crossland is indestructible, I’ve seen him get smashed, get run over, get ragdolled and at times there’s part of me that was hoping it’d be enough for him to at least get taken off for a check up or for him to be winded or something minor but nope he manages to get up every single time.
I think maybe the fact he hasn’t got a single fast twitch muscle fibre in his body makes him a lot more durable
Yeah his bones are bendy like a babies or something.

Woody90

Juniors
That was a weird game. Never really looked like losing but couldn’t put them away either. Definitely not a great performance, but I guess it’s a good sign of improvement that we can sometimes win this year playing poorly. Last year we definitely would have lost that.

Crowd was very quiet too…almost seemed like a lack of excitement because everyone was expecting we’d probably end up losing.

Hard to read into that game too much one way or another. Some good and some very bad. AOB has probably got a bit of a stay of execution for a couple more games. I just hope the powers that be realise we only beat the Bulldogs and the Tigers and don’t suddenly decide he’s safe due to these last 2 games.

Yosh

Coach
Good to get to 2 points but can't say that was an NRL quality match. Some good signs, DSafiti was pretty good, Crossland is improving, our halves and fullback are NRL quality, the 2 worst players were luckily ex Knights players not current.

Storm game will be fun. It'll decide the season. If AOB manages to win and get us into the 8, he will keep his job. Lose next week and I think that'll be the end for him finally.

aqua_duck

Coach
Forget all the skills, ability etc Crosslands even at his worst gives it 100%+
Cannot fault his effort at all and he always puts himself in position to receive the ball from an offload, little things like that.
I think there’s two things that really hold him back, firstly physical ability, but more importantly he lacks instincts and craftiness. Runs at the wrong times, goes to the wrong side a lot, in many ways he has the same issue as alot of the ‘star’ halves that come out of the juniors. IMO the traditional junior pathways have really failed in developing good young halves because of how effective a junior team can be by being structured, hence the playmakers that steer those teams around become almost robotic and never really develop great instincts.

aqua_duck

Coach
Good to get to 2 points but can't say that was an NRL quality match. Some good signs, DSafiti was pretty good, Crossland is improving, our halves and fullback are NRL quality, the 2 worst players were luckily ex Knights players not current.

Storm game will be fun. It'll decide the season. If AOB manages to win and get us into the 8, he will keep his job. Lose next week and I think that'll be the end for him finally.
I’d argue the worst was Hethrington and it’s not particularly close.
D Saf ran hard and bent the line but would it be a complete D Saf performance without a few careless errors?
If we just miss the 8 I don’t think AOB will get the sack especially if there’s no obvious replacement.

I really can't see us beating Melbourne unless they are very complacent.
I know it's not impossible for us to get into the 8 but I think it's doubtful.

The only hope I have is that I recall when we had a crap start to the year but then went on to win a string of matches at the end of the year to hit the 8 and then get knocked out in the semis.

Woody90

Juniors
I really can't see us beating Melbourne unless they are very complacent.
I know it's not impossible for us to get into the 8 but I think it's doubtful.

The only hope I have is that I recall when we had a crap start to the year but then went on to win a string of matches at the end of the year to hit the 8 and then get knocked out in the semis.

Yeah I also think it’s extremely unlikely we can make the finals. Will be good to see how we go against Melbourne next week. To be honest, if we can’t beat top 8 teams now there’s no point us making it just to get knocked out week 1 again. I know a top 8 finish is considered a pass mark for a season but tbh I think it might be better for us to just miss out and have them hungry for next year knowing they would have easily made it (maybe even top 4) if they had have won just a couple of those tight games.

Couldn’t believe it reading the stat that we’re in the top 4 for tries scored this year. Yes the Dogs game would have helped that but every club plays the same teams. We should be a bit higher than we are on the ladder.

mozza91

Coach
Statement game this coming weekend. Anxiety is high as a supporter and that is a good thing. Sell out?
We haven’t sold out in years plus the Storm don’t bring many fans, I don’t count those who are born and raised in Newcastle and support Melbourne because they’re a lower life form.

With good weather 25K is a chance.

Burwood

Bench
Just saw a clip of Joey saying that he’d do somersaults home if Hetherington gets binned for slapping Will Smith.

After getting binned a few rounds ago for doing the exact same thing to Izack Tago, it begs the question- does Joey, a member of our coaching staff, actually watch our games?