What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 23 vs Cronulla @ Browne Park

Who will win? Round 23: Wests Tigers v Cronulla

• Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 1-12

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 13+

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Might have said this before but I'll say it again-

Wests Tigers would be better off disbanding. The JV (apart from that glory run in 2005) has underdelivered for years- decades now.

Split the JV, Wests can go to Campbelltown full-time and set themselves up to capitalise on the growing S-W Sydney area as the Western Sydney Magpies. Focus on that area exclusively and they'll reap the rewards for years and decades to come. The NRL will consider them far higher priority than this identity-lacking, 3 home ground having, mediocre clusterf**k that is the Wests Tigers.

The Balmain side of the merger (or what's left of it) can go north. Pair up with the Brisbane Firehawks bid. Let them have the Tigers name. Brisbane Tigers, playing the majority of their home games in Brisbane with maybe 1 or 2 boutique fixtures a year at Leichardt. Again, the NRL will see them as a higher priority and they'll reap the benefits. The old Balmain fans who reside in SEQ get to see their team full-time, and a new generation of fans will get behind a venture that's actually competitive.
I probably would have argued the point in the past but the more this failure of a club sticks around with no successive plan in sight, the more I’m agreeing with people that say the WT’s franchise would be better off being scrapped and / or relocated

I don’t think I would lose much sleep over it.

Vozzy

Juniors
Madge looked like he was crying before the press conference like he was holding back tears he had after talking to the team. Maybe he had just been given the tap on the shoulder. I feel for him as a person like he probably has poor plans but he truly does care which makes it harder to find a new successor who can motivate the team as well as coach new skills. Madge probably doesn't realize he treats them like robots. We need a combo of Madges passion with Ivan/Sheens type (get best out of team and adapt to new rules and playing style) we have had one or the other. Bellemey/Robinson and Bennet seem the only ones.

stryker

First Grade
I probably would have argued the point in the past but the more this failure of a club sticks around with no successive plan in sight, the more I’m agreeing with people that say the WT’s franchise would be better off being scrapped and / or relocated

I don’t think I would lose much sleep over it.
It’s amazing to see what a difference one season makes to a persons viewpoint.
In the off season, you and I butted heads over my view that the above is true.
One doesn’t need to be toxic to see the truth. Welcome aboard 👍🏼

Pezz70

Juniors
On that no ridiculous no try, not that it makes a difference, but it exemplifies how shit the game is becoming. Rules can never be black and white, when they are policed as such it destroys the game, there should always be a space for discretion in applying the rules, in my eyes that was a try. The no discretion approach is destroying the game, the current state of the obstruction rule is ridiculous. We should go back to considering whether or not the ‘obstruction’ actually impacted the play, ie; would the defender have been able to make play on the ball. In the same vein, the six to go rule has to go, it is now being used to advantage the offending team on a regular basis, where a penalty would lead to a kick for touch and an extra 30 metres + a set, it leaves teams attacking off their own line struggling. There’s no benefit except to the offenders, similarly in the attacking zone teams should be penalised for infringing giving the attackers the option to have a crack at two points. I’m not only dismayed with the Tigers atm, the state of the game is getting me down

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
It’s amazing to see what a difference one season makes to a persons viewpoint.
In the off season, you and I butted heads over my view that the above is true.
One doesn’t need to be toxic to see the truth. Welcome aboard 👍🏼
Yeah this season has been the catalyst for turning me from a hardcore supporter to just a casual follower. I genuinely thought we had turned a corner and got sucked into the pre season trial hype.

i’ll be honest I don’t think any part of this season has excited me. The majority of our wins were either against heavily depleted sides or just sides we beat that were equally as bad as us.

our 2 best performers this year (Laurie and Stefano) were from rival clubs just looking to have a crack. I think that says a lot about the standard of our team

Das Hassler

Bench
On that no ridiculous no try, not that it makes a difference, but it exemplifies how shit the game is becoming. Rules can never be black and white, when they are policed as such it destroys the game, there should always be a space for discretion in applying the rules, in my eyes that was a try. The no discretion approach is destroying the game, the current state of the obstruction rule is ridiculous. We should go back to considering whether or not the ‘obstruction’ actually impacted the play, ie; would the defender have been able to make play on the ball. In the same vein, the six to go rule has to go, it is now being used to advantage the offending team on a regular basis, where a penalty would lead to a kick for touch and an extra 30 metres + a set, it leaves teams attacking off their own line struggling. There’s no benefit except to the offenders, similarly in the attacking zone teams should be penalised for infringing giving the attackers the option to have a crack at two points. I’m not only dismayed with the Tigers atm, the state of the game is getting me down

Agree....when they pull nonsense like that out of their arse because " that's what the rulebook says" even though all front rowers hang onto eachother, then why can't a defending captain challenge an attacking "from the scrum" try for the attacking team not puting the ball in the tunnel???...look it up...it's still in the rules that the ball "must"...repeat "MUST" be fed between the opposing props feet.. no matter that everybody feeds the lock ..i'd really love for a " in the rules" scrum feed challenge to either deny a try or award a penalty that decides a knockout game...hell even the GF and going by their justification of "in the rules" it COULD NOT be denied. .t).. just to highlight the farce that this game has become.

And just to add...it's been established now that a captain's challenge is not restricted to just challenging a refs decision...tedesco set the precedent last week of successfully challenging an offence that WASN'T picked up by the ref or bunker.

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
Yeah this season has been the catalyst for turning me from a hardcore supporter to just a casual follower. I genuinely thought we had turned a corner and got sucked into the pre season trial hype.

i’ll be honest I don’t think any part of this season has excited me. The majority of our wins were either against heavily depleted sides or just sides we beat that were equally as bad as us.

our 2 best performers this year (Laurie and Stefano) were from rival clubs just looking to have a crack. I think that says a lot about the standard of our team
This club has done nothing for 10 years now except blame everyone else internally and tread water. There has been no growth or progression on the field in that time.
The football club is not about winning the premiership. It is about the leagues club and maximising profits there.
During that decade we have unearthed and let go a lot of very good players whilst signing big names at the end of their careers on huge coin. That is an aweful strategy. It’s almost like they don’t care?

WA Tiger

Bench
Player confidence and calm (less mistakes and good decision making) and therefore cohesion the players are without..imo a big part of these are a result of the Coaches words. Without them, regardless of ability will lead to today’s performance more times than not.

Last edited:
I’d get rid of the assistant coaches. These guys were recruited by Madge,

I’d get Dean Pay as the defence coach.

I‘d get Andrew Webster (Webster was flicked to make way for the Madge appointments) back as the NSW Cup as I think he has the ability as a coach, mentor for the younger guys before they are introduced to 1st grade.

stryker

First Grade

I‘d get Andrew Webster (Webster was flicked to make way for the Madge appointments) back as the NSW Cup as I think he has the ability as a coach, mentor for the younger guys before they are introduced to 1st grade.
100%.
These assistants are not pulling their weight.
That old merkin in charge of our defence should be put down this morning. So should that other old merkin in charge of our conditioning and performance.

WA Tiger

Bench
Madge and Justin need to be shown the door, I’ve been a massive supporter of Madge, but he’s had three years, the team has got worse, he hasn’t been able to attract a decent experienced player, time to go.
Yea but you generally exhibit low skill levels with your assessment of players and coaches Pezz…esp the ones your most vociferous about eg Brooks and Madge …Please don’t give up tho. It always amuses me, when u keep getting it wrong

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench

The Rosco

Bench
The 1st half when Mulitalo crosses the try line out wide and then is allowed unhindered to carry on and place the ball under the posts summed up this heartless pissweak side, after watching that I knew exactly where this game was headed in the 2nd half.
Yep. That, plus when both our wingers defend 3 in and watch cut-out passes sail over their heads for a try. To stand there and watch the first one should have been a lesson. But oh no, not for our group of Fidiots. Rinse and repeat.
Cronulla barely kicked on the last on our line. Why risk a dropped ball when they know all they have to do is spread it wide, and their winger will have 4m of free space around him.
To watch our backline stand there and let them merkins stroll closer to the posts . . . without so much as an attempt to stop them . . . is defining of our playing group.
THIS is our problem.
You could have Bellamy coaching with Robinson and Bennet as assistants . . . with our team as players . . . and that shit still happens.
It's our players. The most of them don't give a fkk.
Yesterday, and MANY times before that . . . the holder of the clipboard is largely irrelevant.

WA Tiger

Bench
Yea maybe Then a
Yep. That, plus when both our wingers defend 3 in and watch cut-out passes sail over their heads for a try. To stand there and watch the first one should have been a lesson. But oh no, not for our group of Fidiots. Rinse and repeat.
Cronulla barely kicked on the last on our line. Why risk a dropped ball when they know all they have to do is spread it wide, and their winger will have 4m of free space around him.
To watch our backline stand there and let them merkins stroll closer to the posts . . . without so much as an attempt to stop them . . . is defining of our playing group.
THIS is our problem.
You could have Bellamy coaching with Robinson and Bennet as assistants . . . with our team as players . . . and that shit still happens.
It's our players. The most of them don't give a fkk.
Yesterday, and MANY times before that . . . the holder of the clipboard is largely irrelevant.
Good point and yes it’s Fkd up ….For that one tho I’m thinking Madge may have resorted to his go to line that he used in the doco tho “why are u here?!!

Remember (I do) getting tolled off or worse by the old man, boss or whoever when they couldn’t just talk to you. It was always accompanied with a “whats the matter with you” whining tone and prob with Madge in front of the group ……coz of that it was always in one ear out the other

Last edited:

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Madge's decision to really focus on defense these past few years has worked really well.
Such great decision making on choosing the assistant coaches. We will probably lose our defense coach next year with all the other teams offering mega bucks to snap him up.

simmo05

Bench
Madge's decision to really focus on defense these past few years has worked really well.
Such great decision making on choosing the assistant coaches. We will probably lose our defense coach next year with all the other teams offering mega bucks to snap him up.
Jason Taylor was hired to fix up defence....

2 rounds to go and only Dogs 674 & Cowboys 676 have had more points scored against them, Tigers 646.

what is surprising is the fact that the Tigers have scored more points than the 7th & 8th placed teams and all teams outside the 8 besides the 9th placed Titans. So the decision to focus on defence has worked really well indeed Ned.

And to finish up with Round 23. Their destiny was in their own hands (or should that be heads), they had to win their 1st final game of 3, forget about the table, forget about other results, focus and win.

Now, I have been saying the Tigers have no chance due to F/A but, the Tigers needed results to go their way, as well as win:
Storm beat Titans - tick - Titans stay on 20 points
Manly beat Raiders - tick - Raiders stay on 20 points
Broncs beat Warriors - tick - Warriors stay on 18 points
Chooks beat Saints - tick - St George stay on 18 points

All the Tigers had to do was win by 1 point and they would be on 20 points with atrocious f/a and Sharks back on 18 points.

Sitting on 20 points and staying on 20 points, again they'd need results to go their way:

Knights to beat Titans - 20 points still
Warriors to beat Raiders (both on 20)
Cowboys to beat Dragons - 18 points still
Broncos to beat Sharks - 18 points still and you get the same teams sitting on 20 points but again, the Tigers have the atrocious f/a.

Then the Tigers play the last game of the regular season as the FTA TV game, so we know they'll stuff that up.

Latest posts