What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 4 vs Dragons @ WIN Stadium

Who will win? Round 4: Dragons v Knights

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2018 - Round 4
St George Illawarra Dragons v Newcastle Knights
WIN Stadium, Wollongong (TICKETS)
Sunday 1 April 2018

Gates 1:30pm

TL-SGI18.png

1. Matthew Dufty 2. Nene Macdonald 3. Euan Aitken 4. Timoteo Lafai 5. Jason Nightingale 6. Gareth Widdop 7. Ben Hunt 8. James Graham 9. Cameron McInnes 10. Paul Vaughan 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Tariq Sims 13. Jack de Belin
Interchange: 14. Luciano Leilua 15. Kurt Mann 16. Leeson Ah Mau 17. Hame Sele 18. Jeremy Latimore 19. Zac Lomax 20. Jacob Host 21. Blake Lawrie

TL-NEW18.png

1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Shaun Kenny-dowall 3. Sione Mata'utia 4. Tautau Moga 5. Nathan Ross 6. Brock Lamb 7. Mitchell Pearce 8. Herman Ese'ese 9. Slade Griffin 10. Jacob Lillyman 11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon 12. Aidan Guerra 13. Mitchell Barnett
Interchange: 14. Jamie Buhrer 15. Chris Heighington 16. Jacob Saifiti 17. Daniel Saifiti 18. Ken Sio 19. Jack Cogger 20. Danny Levi 21. Luke Yates

REF-YELLOW-1000px_1.jpg

Referees: Grant Atkins, Jon Stone
Sideline Officials: Nick Morel, Phil Henderson
Video Referees: Ashley Klein, Ben Galea

Feeder team matches
DRAGONS (NSWRL) & KNIGHTS (NSWRL)
SAT
Dragons v Knights @ Michael Cronin Oval (Gerringong), Flegg 1pm
SUN
Dragons v Knights @ WIN Stadium, ISP 1:45pm​

Last edited by a moderator:

Knightmare

Coach
I'd be interested to see how last nights' game might have gone had there not been the 20 minute downpour at the start. The slippery conditions underlined the problem this team has with discipline and respect for possession, especially in the first 2-3 tackles. The scoreboard wasn't an accurate reflection on the game itself and had it stayed dry I reckon there would've been another couple of Knights tries- if Moga didn't throw them away with his idiocy...

The tipsters and the bets will be heavily on the Dragons for this one. They'll be confident after putting 50+ on the Titans and returning to the Gong, but provided it stays dry and the Dragons don't pull out to a considerable lead by h/t, I could see an under-the-rader effort here and reasonable chance of an upset. Obviously Widdop is the guy to mark for them, and Hunt looks better and more confident than he's been in years. So long as there's not careless errors when Knights are defending on the 5th tackle or attacking early in the set- and we have guys backing up Ponga- I reckon it'll be closer than some might tip.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I hope that Brown puts a rocket up a few of the guys after last night's match, especially some of our middle forwards, Barnett and the Saifitis were basically non-existent last night. I expect us to be much better against the Dragons, and we'll need to be because I would argue their forward pack is better than the Roosters' and their spine is arguably in better form too.

I expect the Dragons to win but I think we'll be much better, especially if it's not monsoonal like it was last night.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I’m expecting another hefty defeat. Dragons are a slick outfit and we showed some worrying signs last night.

mozza91

Coach
We’ll win this. They’ll be hurting after last nights result and St George will be cocky. Ponga will tear it up and we’ll win in a high scoring game.

mozza91

Coach
Shit, there goes our 4 from 4.
Say what you want. You beat a Brisbane side who played as bad as I’ve ever seen them play. Beat an underwhelming Cronulla side in a tight one and played some brilliant attacking footy against a team that barely competed defensively.

St George have played some very good football but they aren’t unbeatable and I think we can ask some questions in attack than that might trouble you.

Swarzey

Bench
Last night will be the worst defeat we'll suffer in 2018. Dragons will probably do enough to win but I can't see them belting us like the Roosters did.

Spot On

Coach
Geez Swarzey, I hope your right. I need to see massive improvement from our pack to get some confidence when up against the better teams. I think they can deliver but just haven't seen them rip in yet.

Our line speed, or lack of, is a bit of a concern as is our tackling technique which a don't like at all. I think we'll struggle to get over the advantage line with the ball and have little hope of stopping them when they have it unless we change up what were doing so far.

ALSGI

Bench
Say what you want. You beat a Brisbane side who played as bad as I’ve ever seen them play. Beat an underwhelming Cronulla side in a tight one and played some brilliant attacking footy against a team that barely competed defensively.

St George have played some very good football but they aren’t unbeatable and I think we can ask some questions in attack than that might trouble you.
Fair enough mate.
Donkeys, Scumulla and Tightarses were shit, so our wins weren’t that good - I get it.
Hope you guys do ok.

PhilGould

Bench
1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
3. Sione Mata'utia
4. Tautau Moga
5. Nathan Ross
6. Brock Lamb
7. Mitchell Pearce (C)
8. Herman Ese'ese
9. Slade Griffin
10. Jacob Lillyman
11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12. Aidan Guerra
13. Mitch Barnett

14. Jamie Buhrer (C)
15. Chris Heighington
16. Jacob Saifiti
17. Daniel Saifiti

18. Ken Sio
19. Jack Cogger
20. Danny Levi
21. Luke Yates

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
3. Sione Mata'utia
4. Tautau Moga
5. Nathan Ross
6. Brock Lamb
7. Mitchell Pearce (C)
8. Herman Ese'ese
9. Slade Griffin
10. Jacob Lillyman
11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12. Aidan Guerra
13. Mitch Barnett

14. Jamie Buhrer (C)
15. Chris Heighington
16. Jacob Saifiti
17. Daniel Saifiti

18. Ken Sio
19. Jack Cogger
20. Danny Levi
21. Luke Yates

Looks solid, Jacob & Daniel on for Herman & Jacob L, Heighno on for Barnett and Buhrer on for Griffin. Much more well rounded bench imo.

Burwood

Bench
Zero creativity from hooker- It’s going to be painful watching Buhrer and Griffin with their slow and steady ball distribution for 80 minutes. At least with Lamb and Watson we got 15-20 minutes of spark in the opening two rounds.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Zero creativity from hooker- It’s going to be painful watching Buhrer and Griffin with their slow and steady ball distribution for 80 minutes. At least with Lamb and Watson we got 15-20 minutes of spark in the opening two rounds.

Slade will play 80 min and I have seen more creativity from him in 3 games than I have ever seen from Levi.

PhilGould

Bench
Creativity and service aren't the same thing. I wouldn't call either of them particularly creative hookers.

Glendale

Juniors

I think this is Browny trying to counter the Dragons pack with 4 forwards on the bench. Levi will get his chance, probably next week.

Frederick

Staff member
At least Slade hasn't stunted attack by falling over a player who isn't in the ruck to try and get a cheap penalty.

Slade is an ultimate professional on the field, and his time as Smith's understudy shows in his pinpoint service, strong defense, and understanding of when to run and when to pass.

Levi is quick off the mark, yes, but his passing from dummy half isn't as accurate, he's not as strong defensively and, quite frankly, he's a bit stupid on the field.