What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 4 vs Titans @ Suncorp Stadium

Who will win? Round 4: Titans v Wests Tigers

• Gold Coast Titans 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gold Coast Titans 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

simmo05

Bench
After a little bit more thought during the week, I reckon we actually match up pretty well v Titans. Their biggest threat is guys like Arrow and Fotuaika though the middle which our forwards can hopefully handle. They don't have a lot of strike on the edges which is our weakness. Benji and Brooks' game management should be able to see us home.

Titans by 4.
Close!

Wizardman

First Grade
The most surprising thing about this week were the number of our fans who actually tipped us to win this week. Yes, we have a better roster than Gold Coast, we beat a decent team the previous week and had better form than the Gold Coast. None of that has ever mattered in the past.

We have an awful habit of playing badly and losing the week after we beat a decent team. We have been doing that consistently for the last eight years or so at least. If we are ever going to crack a top eight spot, we simply have to play our asses off every single week and not play down to the level of poor opposition. Our roster (contrary to the belief of many on here) is just not strong enough to win if we are not at our absolute best every week. Teams like Melbourne and the Roosters can get wins when playing average....we simply do not have that luxury. Until we play with the same effort and intensity that we do when playing good teams, we will not make the eight....it is as simple as that.

1. Douhei: He is our best option but I thought he took a few steps backward this week. Im not sold on him as an elite footballer and we do need to keep looking for an elusive fullback. Not mobile, neither a good playmaker. We had Tedesco and Papenhyuzen in our system not that long ago....tears!!!. Give me a tissue!!!!

2. Nofoaluma: He is probably the next good player we are going to lose from our system. Great effort and took his opportunities.

3. Leilua: Another player that took a step backwards from last week. He really needs to get on the Tony Ferguson shakes and shed a few. He is our main backline presence and we need more from him.

4. Moses M'Bye: The absolute only positive to this guy is his defence. His attack at centre is virtually non-existent.I'd still keep him at centre for now for that reason but by f**k I hope we have a junior centre step up to the plate before the end of the season. Im not convinced by the Talau hype and I'd pick M'Bye over him due to defence. We need to get rid of him definitely by the end of the year.

5. Jennings: I hope Madge did not lose the reciept from Souths. I'd like to return him. I cannot remember him have an above average game for us. I'd rather have two midget wingers in the team that have a go than a tall, useless prick. We should give Koribete a ring.

6. Benji: He has done a lot for our club and busts his ass. But, lets not keep him past 2020.

7. Brooks. These new rules should be right up Brooks alley. If he does not make progress this year, the Tigs should go a different direction. f**king awful game from him today.

8. Aloiai: Against a committed forward pack, this guy usually comes second best. I want more from him.

9. Grant: Another decent game from him. I'd advise him that he should go back to Melb next season....too classy for our mob.

10. Mikaele: Poor game....big questions on whether he can take that next step. I have my doubts.

11. Garner: The man does try hard...but seems like a poor mans Chris Lawrence when Chris went well. No real impact.

12. Leilua: To his credit, the man had a go. Things did not pan out for him like last week.

13. Twal: An unusually quiet game in attack from Alex. He did tackle his ass off though so deserves a free pass.

14. Clark: Tries his ass off but ultimately not a first grader. We need better players than him on our bench.

15. Walters: No real time in game.

16. Lawrence: Time for this bloke to give it away....offers nothing sadly.

17. Seyfarth: Like last week, he seems to like tackling. Nothing in attack though. In my opinion, we have the worst bench in the comp.

Vic Mackey

Referee
The most surprising thing about this week were the number of our fans who actually tipped us to win this week. Yes, we have a better roster than Gold Coast, we beat a decent team the previous week and had better form than the Gold Coast. None of that has ever mattered in the past.

We have an awful habit of playing badly and losing the week after we beat a decent team. We have been doing that consistently for the last eight years or so at least. If we are ever going to crack a top eight spot, we simply have to play our asses off every single week and not play down to the level of poor opposition. Our roster (contrary to the belief of many on here) is just not strong enough to win if we are not at our absolute best every week. Teams like Melbourne and the Roosters can get wins when playing average....we simply do not have that luxury. Until we play with the same effort and intensity that we do when playing good teams, we will not make the eight....it is as simple as that.

1. Douhei: He is our best option but I thought he took a few steps backward this week. Im not sold on him as an elite footballer and we do need to keep looking for an elusive fullback. Not mobile, neither a good playmaker. We had Tedesco and Papenhyuzen in our system not that long ago....tears!!!. Give me a tissue!!!!

2. Nofoaluma: He is probably the next good player we are going to lose from our system. Great effort and took his opportunities.

3. Leilua: Another player that took a step backwards from last week. He really needs to get on the Tony Ferguson shakes and shed a few. He is our main backline presence and we need more from him.

4. Moses M'Bye: The absolute only positive to this guy is his defence. His attack at centre is virtually non-existent.I'd still keep him at centre for now for that reason but by f**k I hope we have a junior centre step up to the plate before the end of the season. Im not convinced by the Talau hype and I'd pick M'Bye over him due to defence. We need to get rid of him definitely by the end of the year.

5. Jennings: I hope Madge did not lose the reciept from Souths. I'd like to return him. I cannot remember him have an above average game for us. I'd rather have two midget wingers in the team that have a go than a tall, useless prick. We should give Koribete a ring.

6. Benji: He has done a lot for our club and busts his ass. But, lets not keep him past 2020.

7. Brooks. These new rules should be right up Brooks alley. If he does not make progress this year, the Tigs should go a different direction. f**king awful game from him today.

8. Aloiai: Against a committed forward pack, this guy usually comes second best. I want more from him.

9. Grant: Another decent game from him. I'd advise him that he should go back to Melb next season....too classy for our mob.

10. Mikaele: Poor game....big questions on whether he can take that next step. I have my doubts.

11. Garner: The man does try hard...but seems like a poor mans Chris Lawrence when Chris went well. No real impact.

12. Leilua: To his credit, the man had a go. Things did not pan out for him like last week.

13. Twal: An unusually quiet game in attack from Alex. He did tackle his ass off though so deserves a free pass.

14. Clark: Tries his ass off but ultimately not a first grader. We need better players than him on our bench.

15. Walters: No real time in game.

16. Lawrence: Time for this bloke to give it away....offers nothing sadly.

17. Seyfarth: Like last week, he seems to like tackling. Nothing in attack though. In my opinion, we have the worst bench in the comp.

think that sums us up well

for the life of me I don’t understand our bench. Clarke is a plodder. Seyfarth has potential but isn’t there yet. Lawrence is hopeless

For those 3 Musgrove, MCK and Id even give Packer a run

jennings to be shot out of a cannon to the sun

283E9A20-9006-4C71-A183-18F5E10AB853.jpeg It’s just so effing typical.

Every time we get a half mongrel about the teams chances, they break our hearts.

Like the wretched dogs last year.

But with a few exceptions, the titans are supposed to be the village idiots of the nrl and we were too busy dreaming of finals footy to notice the game went for the full 80.

Benj got us back and we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

The poor old titans looked like they’d won the grand final. Respect.

Still, I think they would have put 40 on the broncos.

No need to say where we are on the ladder atm.

They can walk back to Sydney as punishment ( hop on one leg).

Thommo got the last laugh this week. Everyone thought he was mad. He owns us tonight.

it’s going to take a week to get over this easy. I’m filthy.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Saw it coming a mile away. To give up a two try lead against the Titans twice is pathetic.

This club has never been able to cope when the opposition lifts the intensity.
Agree, but just can't work out why. The starting forwards we have seem to be NRL standard, as Macnaz said, why have we put 2nd grade forwards with them?
WTF is Musgrove?

Front-Rower

First Grade
The starting forwards we have seem to be NRL standard

No, they aren’t NRL starting quality (forget the hooker). Our two starting front rowers from last night might be NRL standard but from the bench or one or the other in a higher quality pack. The second row is laughable.

Legion

Juniors
Typical isn't it, how as soon as we start believing that things have turned around, sensing that there's a light at the end the tunnel, the players completely extinguish that hope, as if they're taunting us for ever believing in them.

Others here saw it coming. Fortunately I kept my mouth shut and didn't criticise their lack of faith. They've conditioned us well not to expect much better. Yet another kick to the guts.

The one positive from this is what Maguire said at the post match interview. He hit the nail on the head saying; "I'm sick and tired of the ups and downs of performance, it's as simple as that. We need to change that. That's what this club has been, I didn't want to say that but that's the truth and the truth is that we need to fix that as a playing group, coaching staff and everyone. We need to change the way this club does things, around the way we do things when we perform."

He goes on to say that it comes down to "character" [the lack of] that "we need to fix that fast".

About bloody time that someone addressed the elephant in the room.
Is it too much to expect for the entire club to support his stance?
Maguire is like a breath of fresh air. Respect. He's my last remaining hope. If he's unable to instill a sense of pride into players wearing our jumper, then ....... I don't even want to say it.

Front-Rower

First Grade
About bloody time that someone addressed the elephant in the room.
Is it too much to expect for the entire club to support his stance?

Mate, the club doesn't care about results. They care about our fans being goo goo gaa gaa over Robbie, Benji et al.. because it puts bums on seats. I'm still of the belief Ivan left not because he wanted to coach Nathan but because he knew exactly what the hell was going on around the joint as soon as Marshall walked back in the door.

Furthermore, is it any bloody coincidence that the only time we have had consistent results was when we had a fair dinkum half-back (Scott Prince), a half-back who was more than competent (Robert Lui (disgraceful what he did), and a decent forward (Anthony Laffranchi and Gareth Ellis, I'm looking at you. Heck, even throw Russell Packer in there. Those first 8 games or so he played for us were amazing. I went to a game at ANZ and was shit scared of him just sitting in the grandstand).

The unknown

Juniors
Would be tempted to get Packer back as early as next week, even if it was a 25 minute stint from the bench

14. Walters
15. Aloiai (start Musgrove)
16. Packer
17. Chee Kam/Blore

Would bring in Talau for Jennings aswell

Vic Mackey

Referee
Mate, the club doesn't care about results. They care about our fans being goo goo gaa gaa over Robbie, Benji et al.. because it puts bums on seats. I'm still of the belief Ivan left not because he wanted to coach Nathan but because he knew exactly what the hell was going on around the joint as soon as Marshall walked back in the door.
).

Agree with this

Its inbedded at the club. I still remember getting told in 2013 that Grant Mayer signed Pat Richards without even consulting Mick Potter. Potter was then forced to play him whilst we released Koribete. I didn’t believe it at the time, however now see it was 100% true.

results have always been secondary to the club, feel good stories are more important

Tigerm

First Grade
Agree with this

Its inbedded at the club. I still remember getting told in 2013 that Grant Mayer signed Pat Richards without even consulting Mick Potter. Potter was then forced to play him whilst we released Koribete. I didn’t believe it at the time, however now see it was 100% true.

results have always been secondary to the club, feel good stories are more important
Vic, this doesn't make sense, results are all important to all clubs, it's what brings the sponsors and members money into the club, as they can't survive on NRL handouts.
Winning is the biggest feel good of all.
Though we have brought some duds, but one of the problems imo, is without results, the better players generally don't want to come. Benji has been of our better players since he came back, but I do think his time (to retire) is near though.

WA Tiger

Bench
1 I think there’s just too many smiles about the club...No more smiling I want you shit scared about any thing bad that might happen on game day and the possible consequences . 2 Too many smiles from the captains..I want a quota of half of what they say to be “No we are not happy with how we are going and there will be consequences if things don’t change” ...even when we are winning! 3 Thank god we can watch the Dragons today and discover “some” self respect..4 Welcome back Pezz was worried there for a bit ..

Vic Mackey

Referee
So just read that 2 titans players have been charged from last nights game, we didn’t receive a penalty for either incident

I suppose we would much rather have the shortening up period now than later.

Against the Titans gives it much more effect than against a top rated side.

I’ve had a look at that last Titans try, it was an outstanding play under pressure.

Kelly has nowhere to go, so he deftly kicks it into space on the angle and any one of three Titans may have scored. It was good game awareness and even better when you think he had a few seconds at best to compose the play and then execute it.

By any measure, it was perfectly executed. Perfect speed and trajectory, it created the time necessary for the attack to capitalise. A lot of these kicks often dribble over the dead ball line, they are overcooked, but this was one of the best I’ve seen for ages.

You can see the titans players, they sense the play is on almost immediately and they are at white hot pace coming through.

Probably to defend it, we would have needed some players to have slided over earlier and some of our chasing wasn’t so good.

They shouldn’t have been that close to our try line anyway, many of our players were mia. They are not even in the camera shot.

Old mate went in virtually untouched.

I guess my point is that we should be courageous enough to say that they took the perfect try scoring option at the time, and I am reluctant to flatter ourselves completely by blaming us.

They had the one and only chance to win and ffs they found a way.

We were awful, but their last try was magic from a footy point of view.

So while the loss is very hard and we cruelled it, there was a bit of rare flare from the Titans.

Last edited:

Pezz70

Juniors
No, they aren’t NRL starting quality (forget the hooker). Our two starting front rowers from last night might be NRL standard but from the bench or one or the other in a higher quality pack. The second row is laughable.
Aloia and Twal were outstanding in a side that got thumped. Grant was good enough, the rest you wouldn’t give a penny for. Brooks should shine with the free flowing football but needs to recognise when to get the ball and run. Benji running on one leg was very ordinary in defence has got a real problem with lateral movement at the moment. Our right side red zone defence was shithouse I believe this is as a result of the fact that Benji is injured and Nofoaluma really struggles to read the plays. As for our left side while ever you’ve got Jennings there, mmmmm!!! Nofoaluma was ok in most other parts of his game though