What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 6 vs Cronulla @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 6: Newcastle v Cronulla

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Knight Tales

Juniors
No two ways about it. Brodie and Braddy are our centres this year going forward. What a discovery he was today. His defence was Matt Cooper like in so far he is all hussle. Never allows his opponent to relax. Read the numbers beautifully.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
No two ways about it. Brodie and Braddy are our centres this year going forward. What a discovery he was today. His defence was Matt Cooper like in so far he is all hussle. Never allows his opponent to relax. Read the numbers beautifully.
I don't think that will happen, but I thought Jones was defending 1 or 2 further in than centre for much of the game? Fortunately Musgrove put his hand up tonight for a wing spot, which could see us shuffle Hunt to centre of his hammy is ok.

perverse

Referee
Actually, having just watched the highlights again, maybe they will run Jones in the centres and just have him defend 1 or 2 in. Could happen. We've had worse there this year.

Jono078

Referee
I don't think that will happen, but I thought Jones was defending 1 or 2 further in than centre for much of the game? Fortunately Musgrove put his hand up tonight for a wing spot, which could see us shuffle Hunt to centre of his hammy is ok.
AOB made it sound like Hunt has a torn Hammy, sounds like he's out for a little bit.

Hopefully Lee can come back next week.

1 Ponga
2 Musgrove
3 Jones
4 Best
5 Lee

Best backline so far this season?

Allstar Knights

Juniors
One thing our team lacks outside of Ponga and Watson is a bit of X-Factor, especially in the forwards. We have a strong working pack who go forward well, but there aren't many players who create opportunities through the middle like Watson can with his speed, energy and ball-playing. He's exactly the kind of player we need in the team if we're ever playing finals footy again. Can't believe people don't rate Watson as high as some of us.

Actually, Frizell's hard running and late footwork at the line has caused the opposition some problems, especially tonight

I'm hoping Jones can give us a point of difference in the forwards too. Throw him in the backrow for good minutes next week and see what he can do while his confidence would be high.

Last edited:

Knight Tales

Juniors
Watson will hopefully stay on but he is far too good a player to be stuck changing positions every 5 mins and be expected to be comfortable and own it. There are about 8 or 9 clubs who could use him as a starter.

Knight76

Juniors
Actually, Frizell's hard running and late footwork at the line has caused the opposition some problems, especially tonight

Frizell has heem very good for us so far, he has scored or went very close to scoring every game. And his runs are damaging.

Our pack does generate a decent amount of offloads but we dont use them. We should be looking to attack wide with any offloads but we just pass the ball once or twice usually to the next forward waiting to take the next hitup.

We need to vary our sets more, some one out forward play, spread the ball wide looking to create something in sets even from our own half, kick on the 5th more and get Brailey kicking from dummy half try the pass back inside behind the ruck more often etc.

Our kick pressure needs work and our support play, well, we actually need suppory play in other pkaces than right on their line.

Johns Magic

Referee
One thing our team lacks outside of Ponga and Watson is a bit of X-Factor, especially in the forwards. We have a strong working pack who go forward well, but there aren't many players who create opportunities through the middle like Watson can with his speed, energy and ball-playing. He's exactly the kind of player we need in the team if we're ever playing finals footy again. Can't believe people don't rate Watson as high as some of us.

I'm hoping Jones can give us a point of difference in the forwards too. Throw him in the backrow for good minutes next week and see what he can do while his confidence would be high.

Really agree with this post.

We need a few more points of difference in this side and Watson is a key ingredient. I haven’t noticed poor defence from him? Yes he can get bumped but I haven’t seen actual missed tackles or weakness.

He is far from a natural ball player but his energy and intent in attack is opening things up for us. Jacob’s should-have-been-try last night is a prime example. And he’s had 3 try assists in 5 games before that playing similarly.

I don’t think I’ve watched more than 5 minutes of Clifford play but I’m hoping he is an instinctive attacker. And I can’t wait to see Bailey Hodgson come through.

We need more of that not less. We are no threat in attack without Ponga currently. Too robotic.

Alex28

Coach
AOB made it sound like Hunt has a torn Hammy, sounds like he's out for a little bit.

Hopefully Lee can come back next week.

1 Ponga
2 Musgrove
3 Jones
4 Best
5 Lee

Best backline so far this season?
I thought Toa was fine when Best was in the team. He’s definitely the future of the club - I’d have them playing more together now before Lee goes at the end of the year.

Frederick

Staff member
I thought Toa was fine when Best was in the team. He’s definitely the future of the club - I’d have them playing more together now before Lee goes at the end of the year.
Correct me if I'm wrong but has To'a played outside Best before? I thought To'a was a right side winger, not left.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
I really feel the 2023 team will be where we start to see the Backs actually come together. All things being progressive we could have.

1. Hodgson
2. Toa
3. Young
4. Best
5. ?
6. Ponga
7. Clifford

mozza91

Coach
Exciting game. Ponga was brilliant. Really happy with Jones and Musgrove too, they need to be there every week.

Full credit to the video ref taking it upon himself to get Cronulla over the line after a tough week.

Knight Tales

Juniors
I really feel the 2023 team will be where we start to see the Backs actually come together. All things being progressive we could have.

1. Hodgson
2. Toa
3. Young
4. Best
5. ?
6. Ponga
7. Clifford
Would wait till see how Clifford functions as an organisational half at a high level before you even contemplate moving KP. Last night he showed signs of a real drive to prove the doubters wrong. He was doing the things Teddy and Papa do weekly where they push in the line or make space and create a hole for another runner and push the pass. If this continues this side is capable of making noise again. As Johns Magic says it can’t just be up to KP. The team need to work for him to pounce when the defence are distracted from his place on the field in attack. The Roosters and Storm create enough different angles and attack points to cloak the involvement of Teddy and Papa. They pop up when teams least expect. That is the massive difference between them and us AT present.

aqua_duck

Coach
Correct me if I'm wrong but has To'a played outside Best before? I thought To'a was a right side winger, not left.
Toa played mostly fullback and centres in juniors, in my opinion he's not a great winger as he's more of a footwork and get on the outside type player rather than someone who hits it up straight.
Best and To'a played aust schoolboys together in 2018, the backline was:
1.Tesi Niu
2.Jason Saab
3.Star To'a
4.Bradman Best
5.Stephen Crichton

Yosh

Coach
Toa played mostly fullback and centres in juniors, in my opinion he's not a great winger as he's more of a footwork and get on the outside type player rather than someone who hits it up straight.
Best and To'a played aust schoolboys together in 2018, the backline was:
1.Tesi Niu
2.Jason Saab
3.Star To'a
4.Bradman Best
5.Stephen Crichton

If To'a is a centre then we have 3 young centres with great potential. Going forward, who will be the one most likely to play on the wing then? Best seems to have cemented his spot. I would like to see Dom play a bit on the wing as he is tall and looks to carry the ball strongly. Then again we have Musgrove as well who seems like a great option going forward.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I love seeing the stories on FB about Ponga and Watson’s illness in the lead up to the game. So many comments saying they shouldn’t of played, they could infect other players, blah blah blah.
Where do these people come from? Welcome to the real world.

I love seeing the stories on FB about Ponga and Watson’s illness in the lead up to the game. So many comments saying they shouldn’t of played, they could infect other players, blah blah blah.
Where do these people come from? Welcome to the real world.
Frizell had it the week before. Bit late to worry who else could have got it. Possibly more contagious when there are no symptoms.

Latest posts