What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 6 vs St Geo Illa @ WIN Stadium

Who will win? Round 6: St Geo Illa v Newcastle

• St George Illawarra Dragons 13+

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • St George Illawarra Dragons 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono078

Referee
His chase when they went down the left leading to the try with the Frizell-Lomax incident was either wheelchair worthy or just lazy. Couldn’t believe how slow he was.
I did notice this too. I didn't know why he didn't have more urgency there. It's not usually the part of the game you can fault.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
How AOB continues to escape scrutiny is beyond me. Considering his pedigree, he's done nothing since his arrival and continues to have the squad playing at a sub par level week in week out. I'd throw him in the Madge, Barrett, Brown basket. Surely his seat is warming up...
the closest coach he resembles to me is Stephen Kearney.

Most likely a bloody nice fella and a good assistant but doesnt appear to have the balls for first grade.

slotmachine

First Grade
Taking a dump on Pearce is fashionable, but that's the kind of game we win in 2021 with him playing.

Not through skill, but just will to win.

Morehead St

Juniors
Highlight was just Klem having a word to Lomax.
Too true. Never been a fan of Klem as I thought he was lazy, and made up for dumb errors by getting dirty, but I thought he had a big game today, while the gob full to Lomax was exactly what the smart arse needed for what he did to Frizell. You have to respect that.

I've gotta say too, Gags did a poor job on Suli defencively

There's been much to praise Gagai for this year but it's very clear he struggles when coming up against big physical centres. Was similar against Talakai a few weeks ago too.

Morehead St

Juniors
Not a chance in hell the refs miss that off-side penalty if it's one of the big clubs.
As a Souths supporter, I still agree with you. The 6-again was terribly one-sided, and just gave Saints continual momentum. All clubs infringe, so when the 6-agains is one sided, then so is the reffing. For me, a far worst error in not pinging the Dragons on the last restart for offside, was the ball steal off Lee with 5 minutes to go after he fielded a Crossland kick. He had 3 blokes on him and was being bundled into touch when the ball came loose. I thought he was trying to keep it in play, but a Saints player had illegally stripped him of possession in a gang tackle. A penalty any other day - where was the bunker?

aqua_duck

Coach

There's been much to praise Gagai for this year but it's very clear he struggles when coming up against big physical centres. Was similar against Talakai a few weeks ago too.
yep, hes had troubles with Suli in the past, there was one semi final when he was playing for souths against Manly where Suli looked like prime Mal Meninga against him.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Unfortunately Gags is going to have some games where he’s going to struggle with big units running at him. Still I’d rather have him on that right edge than most.

Morehead St

Juniors

As a Souths fan, what you have said is 100% spot on. Why defence coaches have not been able to correct his technique against larger units is a condemnation. For years he struggled against big fast blokes who could fend as he went high - only to finish with his face in the dirt.
As a professional, he has to revise his approach, otherwise he will be targeted - which could spell doom for his career and his team's chances.

King-Gutho94

Coach
How AOB continues to escape scrutiny is beyond me. Considering his pedigree, he's done nothing since his arrival and continues to have the squad playing at a sub par level week in week out. I'd throw him in the Madge, Barrett, Brown basket. Surely his seat is warming up...
The Johns brothers love AOB so i reckon he is safe for now.

They both might not be in the board but they both wield big influence in the sydney media and over the knights.

Matty especially is close to AOB and pushed the Knights in that direction back in 2019.

Woosh

Head Moderator
I thought Gagai defended well against Kikau one on one, and that was with a man down as well.
He wasn’t good in d yesterday though but he seemed gassed/sick?
Watching the replay of when Ponga sets up Tuala in the corner in the first half, Gagai didn’t even bother to push up in support which very unlike him.
Clifford didn’t help, he was lazy yesterday particularly when sliding in defense which is totally opposite to his games last year.
His effort areas in d were excellent last year.

Guys, just on the non call of offside from the short kick off....it surprises me how many people, including commentators, who don't know the rules. The Dragons player was offside when the ball was tapped back, but he is put onside as soon as he passes the player or the spot of where the ball was tapped back.

TooheysNew

Coach
No.

Watch it on slow. Firstly, the tap 'back' was flat at best. Secondly, he never retreated behind the player who tapped it back - he caught it in line with him, and then fell 2 metres backwards. And thirdly, if you want to be really petty, I'm fairly certain Su'a was offside when the ball was kicked.

No.

Watch it on slow. Firstly, the tap 'back' was flat at best. Secondly, he never retreated behind the player who tapped it back - he caught it in line with him, and then fell 2 metres backwards. And thirdly, if you want to be really petty, I'm fairly certain Su'a was offside when the ball was kicked.
I am not arguing if the ball went backwards, forwards or straight across. Just saying that if the ref ruled it was knocked back, he was correct in not ruling an offside penalty. Sua was correctly ruled as onside as soon as he went back past the spot Lomax hit the ball.

Latest posts