What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 7 vs Cowboys @ Queensland Country Bank Stadium

Who will win? Round 7: Cowboys v Knights

• North Queensland Cowboys 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Queensland Cowboys 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
As each week goes by this team should be more embarrassed they lost to this hopeless lot, absolutely disgusting.

Silent Knight

First Grade
It leaves a bad taste in my mouth that’s for sure. The Cowgirls did put in a pretty decent first half against us in that game, but that just pisses me off more because they’ve been absolute gash ever since.

I still recall that little prick Clifford talking post-game about how SuperCoach Green told them to kick the ball dead to nullify Ponga, like it was an absolute genius move.

I hope we f*cking towel those frauds up when they come to Newcastle.

Knight76

Juniors
It leaves a bad taste in my mouth that’s for sure. The Cowgirls did put in a pretty decent first half against us in that game, but that just pisses me off more because they’ve been absolute gash ever since.

I still recall that little prick Clifford talking post-game about how SuperCoach Green told them to kick the ball dead to nullify Ponga, like it was an absolute genius move.

I hope we f*cking towel those frauds up when they come to Newcastle.

The funny thing is though, that the idea is not even based on reality. Ponga isn't dangerous on kick return. Most of the time he passes to someone else, or runs back to the line and takes the tackle.

Now my memory is fairly poor, but I can't recall Ponga returning a ball and breaking away to score a try. I'm sure there are some decent kick returns in there, but for the majority, he isn't that much of a threat on kick return. Not enough to warrant kicking it out as a game plan.

He might have told his team that was the reason, when really he was hoping it would give his team a chance to rest the D line each set of 6 and give them a chance. Which is why Brown started doing it.

Knight Vision

First Grade
The funny thing is though, that the idea is not even based on reality. Ponga isn't dangerous on kick return. Most of the time he passes to someone else, or runs back to the line and takes the tackle.

Now my memory is fairly poor, but I can't recall Ponga returning a ball and breaking away to score a try. I'm sure there are some decent kick returns in there, but for the majority, he isn't that much of a threat on kick return. Not enough to warrant kicking it out as a game plan.

He might have told his team that was the reason, when really he was hoping it would give his team a chance to rest the D line each set of 6 and give them a chance. Which is why Brown started doing it.
you're right, up until this season Ponga was well down the rankings of NRL FB stats on kick returns. Few games in this season though he's made a dramatic improve on his stats. Not sure about now though.

He's not what you'd call a great kick returner at all.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
you're right, up until this season Ponga was well down the rankings of NRL FB stats on kick returns. Few games in this season though he's made a dramatic improve on his stats. Not sure about now though.

He's not what you'd call a great kick returner at all.

Agreed, I think the biggest area for KP to improve on at the moment is his kick returns. He always seems to either pass to a winger or jog it back and try to step someone but often gets tackled by several defenders.

I would like to see him charge it back with some real intent and not be scared to get hit every now and then. I think KP bringing it back at full pace and being able to change direction at speed would put more doubt in the chasers’ minds than him just dawdling forward and trying to step past a set defensive line.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Also just to echo some other people’s thoughts it is absolutely shameful that we lost to the cowboys who have looked like a wooden spoon team in the 2 games they’ve played since then. How we allowed them to dominate us like that in the first half is a disgrace.

Yosh

Coach
I wish KP played a little more in the mold of Tedesco... Run first and play make second. Seems like KP is trying to play too much like a play maker instead of focusing on his superb running game.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I wish KP played a little more in the mold of Tedesco... Run first and play make second. Seems like KP is trying to play too much like a play maker instead of focusing on his superb running game.
it will be interesting to see how Tedesco's career unfolds.....at the moment without his speed he doesnt have much, speed is temporary as you age you slow. Tedesco doesnt have much of a passing or kicking game.....lets see how the back end of his career goes.

Yosh

Coach
it will be interesting to see how Tedesco's career unfolds.....at the moment without his speed he doesnt have much, speed is temporary as you age you slow. Tedesco doesnt have much of a passing or kicking game.....lets see how the back end of his career goes.

I'm talking less about speed but the way he attacks sides relentlessly. He gets the ball and is attacking 100% intensity each time. KP has class written all over him but seems to be containing his inner attacking demon.

His initial intuition seems to want to run the ball instinctively (as shown when he returns the ball from the in goal area) but has been coached to take a more structured and paced approach in attack. Gets the ball two wide from the ruck and just acts like another peg in the clog.

Terribly explained but can someone elaborate haha...

Latest posts