What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 7 vs Titans @ Scully Park

Who will win? Round 7: Wests Tigers v Titans

• Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Issues:-
We have some dud signings. Reynolds
Tiger05, give the guy a break, he has had some bad (very bad) luck with injuries. They may have signed him for too much but you cannot fault HIS game and effort when he has played (OK last Monday was a shocker but he had 16 mates who collectively had shockers).

Tiger05

First Grade
Tiger05, give the guy a break, he has had some bad (very bad) luck with injuries. They may have signed him for too much but you cannot fault HIS game and effort when he has played (OK last Monday was a shocker but he had 16 mates who collectively had shockers).

I agree. When he has actually played he has been pretty good. He looks shot though. He can't seem to play consistent footy for us.

I saw literally 1 minute of the game and the score was 14-0 to the titans. Did they give up and go home after that or did we actually play well?

We showed up after 20 minutes. All four spine players combined well and we looked dangerous in their 20 which was a welcome change. Matto, Farah, Brooks and Mbye looked like they had played together for 10 years last night.

He looks shot though. He can't seem to play consistent footy for us.
I can't believe I'm defending Reynolds but will here.

1. He was injured at the start of the season,
2. He had his 1st game of the year in reserve grade in round 2 - scored 2 and set up 3.
3. He was a reserve for 1st grade in round 3, wasn't named in the 17. Benji was injured in this game.
4. He played his 1st game in 1st grade in round 4 against the Riff - perhaps the worst game of the year - you used the word consistent - everyone was bad that night.
5.Started again at 5/8 against the Broncs, everyone talks about that try by Chee Kam but Reynolds was outstanding that night his kicking game was superb.
6. Against Parra - who did play well for the Tigers?
7. Titans - a bad luck story and you say he 'looks shot''

As for consistent footy, look aver the comments from previous rounds, Brooks has been very good and poor as has a number of players, guys like Jennings have simply been poor.

We need to stop giving away big leads at the start of games,not every team is going to be as accommodating as the Titans and let us back into the game,especially with our limited attack.

Tiger05

First Grade
Brooks has been very good and poor as has a number of players, guys like Jennings have simply been poor.

I get it. Brooks has played well in all our wins but pretty poorly in a fair few games this season. He is a key player for us and he is inconsistent. Comparing Brooks to Reynolds shows the difference that I'm talking about. He hasn't been on the field enough to justify what we are paying him.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I saw literally 1 minute of the game and the score was 14-0 to the titans. Did they give up and go home after that or did we actually play well?

Other replies have summed it up pretty well. Downside was I felt that we didn’t work our way back into the game, some Titans errors and a few lucky ref calls did. However once we got the try to get back to 14-6 we seemed to get in a groove and didn’t lose it for the rest of the game.

Attack in the 20 was much better. Mbye was moving freely which allowed us to shift the ball side to side better then we have all year. With Reynolds off Brooks seemed to come into his ownand had his best game of the year. Esan and Mahe got early clean ball and made the most of it. Matterson is a star no matter where he plays.

At 26-14 between 10-15 to go Titans had like 6 sets in a row on our line and didn’t look like scoring.

Very pleasing win, especially after last week.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Guys was Momirovski on the bench,I don’t recall him at anytime being on the field?

He did not get on.

I thought maybe when Reynolds went off Mbye might go into the halves, Thompson to fullback, Jennings to wing, and Momirovski to centres, but Matterson did pretty well in the halves.

Gutsy win from the lads. That period where we held them out set-after-set-after-set on our goal line was awesome.

simmo05

Bench
I can't believe I'm defending Reynolds but will here.

1. He was injured at the start of the season,
2. He had his 1st game of the year in reserve grade in round 2 - scored 2 and set up 3.
3. He was a reserve for 1st grade in round 3, wasn't named in the 17. Benji was injured in this game.
4. He played his 1st game in 1st grade in round 4 against the Riff - perhaps the worst game of the year - you used the word consistent - everyone was bad that night.
5.Started again at 5/8 against the Broncs, everyone talks about that try by Chee Kam but Reynolds was outstanding that night his kicking game was superb.
6. Against Parra - who did play well for the Tigers?
7. Titans - a bad luck story and you say he 'looks shot''

As for consistent footy, look aver the comments from previous rounds, Brooks has been very good and poor as has a number of players, guys like Jennings have simply been poor.
When he copped that knee injury, he hopped after the ball carrier on one leg trying to still make the tackle. If the other 16 players had half his ticker, we would win every single week!

Dally M votes:
Ryan Matterson,
Alex Twal,
Mahe Fonua.

Judge: Danny Buderus

A good judge, Matterson without a doubt, Twal because he did all the grunt work.

WT Unity

Juniors

I've posted before about not understanding how some people blame a player based on a bad injury run. It's not like we signed a guy with a bad or injury prone history, he was averaging 20 games per season throughout his career with the Bulldogs - Can't blame the guy or the signing as being a risky one. It's bad luck plain and simple!

WT Unity

Juniors
I get it. Brooks has played well in all our wins but pretty poorly in a fair few games this season. He is a key player for us and he is inconsistent. Comparing Brooks to Reynolds shows the difference that I'm talking about. He hasn't been on the field enough to justify what we are paying him.

"He hasn't been on the field enough to justify what we are paying him"

OK - Can I ask how as a club this can be handled. You do understand how a contract works and that it's based on a per year $ amount? A club can't go around and dock players wages when they can't turn up for work based on injuries.
Also - The salary cap is $9M + (maybe someone on the forum knows the exact amount) so do the maths, 6s & 7s (spine players in general) get paid well. He was a recent origin representative (when signed) from a club that had played in 2 x GFs while he was there. Experience at a club that was regularly playing finals footy and Origin experience...did you think he could be signed for a couple a hundred grand?
I hope his injury is not too serious as I thought he was starting to come good. I think we're definitely a better side with him at 6....but I'm glad we have options to cover 6 as needed...Marshall, Matterson or MBye to 6 and Thomson to 1 - Whichever way the coach goes will be fine by me.

Tiger05

First Grade
"He hasn't been on the field enough to justify what we are paying him"

OK - Can I ask how as a club this can be handled. You do understand how a contract works and that it's based on a per year $ amount? A club can't go around and dock players wages when they can't turn up for work based on injuries.
Also - The salary cap is $9M + (maybe someone on the forum knows the exact amount) so do the maths, 6s & 7s (spine players in general) get paid well. He was a recent origin representative (when signed) from a club that had played in 2 x GFs while he was there. Experience at a club that was regularly playing finals footy and Origin experience...did you think he could be signed for a couple a hundred grand?
I hope his injury is not too serious as I thought he was starting to come good. I think we're definitely a better side with him at 6....but I'm glad we have options to cover 6 as needed...Marshall, Matterson or MBye to 6 and Thomson to 1 - Whichever way the coach goes will be fine by me.

I'm not stating you can do anything. As stated above sometimes it's just bad luck but he is having a lot of bad luck.

I think it was a risky signing and he is overpaid based on what he has provided to us. He also looks shot. He keeps getting injured. With hindsight we signed him on too long a contract as well. I hope he comes good and kills it for us but I'm starting to think it's not going to happen.

I'm also fine with the coach's decisions. To me he is doing a pretty good job.