What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 8 vs St Geo Illa @ WIN Stadium

Who will win? Round 8: St Geo Illa v Wests Tigers

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
It was a shitty game of footy but I thought our defense looked good. Could finally see some good patches of attack, but I was pretty disappointed we didn’t put 20+ on them. Saints were really, really bad.

Tiger05

First Grade
Garner is good in attack but ordinary in defence, I hope Blore will fix that other second 2nd row position.

I agree with most of what you stated except for the Garner comment. His defense was terrible I think round 1 and maybe round 2 but since then he has been really good.

I'd still like to see Blore come in and kill it in the second row. We need more threats out wide.

BJ can offer that for us but he is overpaid and he has been under performing. If him and Blore came good we'd be a much better team.

They have to get the balance of the middle forwards right as well. Twal, Joe O and Tamou were pretty ordinary yesterday. Stef, Mikaele and Seyfarth were all really good and got us on top.

Brooks isn’t doing enough for $900k

I appreciated BJ scoring that try, found redemption at long last. Madge went out of his way to accommodate him, huge leap of faith and it paid off. But we have to hope he stays in the zone.

Jimmy and cini might be a pretty tight unit.

Pezz70

Juniors
Why does our backline stands so flat in attack, if they all stood another metre or so deeper they would be more threatening in attack.
Yesterday was an improvement in that respect. I think a lot of it has to do with mediocre service from dummy half to be honest, interrupts the fluency of the attack and puts the defence on the front foot. We sort out dummy half service I reckon we win a few more games. I’m thinking we get Douehi and Brooks 2 steps closer to dummy half and another metre deeper for the next few games it will go a long way to fixing the problem.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Yep, we were clunky, but we were 1-6 against a top 6 side, I thought we showed some good things. Never expected us to be Storm like at this stage.

Doeihi is 7 games into his role, he was MoM, I thought he deserved it.

You would think Cini will keep his spot. Still not convinced about Talau being in the team.

IMO Hastings can’t come quick enough, we are desperate for 2 centres. Garner is good in attack but ordinary in defence, I hope Blore will fix that other second 2nd row position.

A work in progress, good to see our reserves coming though, but we are heading in the right direction imo.

Cini will eventually move into the centre’s imo. For now he can bide his time on the wing

I thought MOTM was a dead heat between Laurie and Doueihi, Laurie played his best game in tigers colours yesterday and was instrumental in our win

Pezz70

Juniors

I appreciated BJ scoring that try, found redemption at long last. Madge went out of his way to accommodate him, huge leap of faith and it paid off. But we have to hope he stays in the zone.

BJ played well, really didn’t do too much wrong, kept his head in check. 15kg off that guts and continued control of his head and 100% effort he is the sort of bloke that still has it in him to be a top liner. The mental issue is the biggest hurdle for him by a long way

Cini will eventually move into the centre’s imo. For now he can bide his time on the wing

I thought MOTM was a dead heat between Laurie and Doueihi, Laurie played his best game in tigers colours yesterday and was instrumental in our win

Laurie punches far far above his weight.

He just has the natural aversion to stage fright, which is hard to coach into a fullback.

The things he’s not good at, given a couple of seasons of strength and technique, I think he can improve upon.

His head is at 110%, he does his best when we are getting smashed. No sabbaticals.

I’m very proud of him and our recruitment for spotting him.

As a side though, we have a long long way to go.

Tigerm

First Grade

I thought the main trouble with Brooks was he nearly always kicked straight to an opposition player?

BrotherJim05

Bench
It felt like Brooks and AD forgot that they were the halves in that game. They kept taking on the line but then not even looking like they wanted to pass. For a lot of that game we were just running at the Dragons hoping they would f**k up (which luckily they did).

Overall though - good on the boys for the win. Hopefully we can improve on the areas that need improving and start building some combinations

It felt like Brooks and AD forgot that they were the halves in that game. They kept taking on the line but then not even looking like they wanted to pass. For a lot of that game we were just running at the Dragons hoping they would f**k up (which luckily they did).

Overall though - good on the boys for the win. Hopefully we can improve on the areas that need improving and start building some combinations

Yeah, we’ve swept some of the filth under the carpet mostly due to a surprise breeze coming through an open window. But it’s better than rolling around in it.

Once again, a belated appearance of composure although the dragons had a shocker.

A win is a win and I’m ok with it too.

“ Combinations” - let’s not carried away lol

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Yesterday was an improvement in that respect. I think a lot of it has to do with mediocre service from dummy half to be honest, interrupts the fluency of the attack and puts the defence on the front foot. We sort out dummy half service I reckon we win a few more games. I’m thinking we get Douehi and Brooks 2 steps closer to dummy half and another metre deeper for the next few games it will go a long way to fixing the problem.

You make a great point here.

For pretty much his whole career Brooks has stood too flat. The dummy half typically fires the ball behind him so as not to pass it forward but Brooks has to reach behind to catch it.

Compare Brooks' positioning at first receiver to a Thurston who always ran onto the ball at pace and caught it in two hands out in front. Doing this gives the defence less chance to prepare for a run a kick or a pass.

If someone can coach it out of him he will be a better player

Zoe Palmer

Juniors
A very fortunate win against a battered team who’s gone off the boil. The attack is forward dominated, mostly one out rubbish.
The backline bears no resemblance to the way the good teams are playing. Too slow in mind, body & tactics

the coach is a one trick dinosaur

A very fortunate win against a battered team who’s gone off the boil. The attack is forward dominated, mostly one out rubbish.
The backline bears no resemblance to the way the good teams are playing. Too slow in mind, body & tactics

the coach is a one trick dinosaur

Yeah I’m not going to take Madge off show cause yet.

Three reasonable games and I’ll start to turn.

Until then, he’s still in the lab under experimental conditions.

He’s gotta keep getting that little plastic wheel thing whizzing around anti clockstadt.

Another loss and the temperature probe goes back in.

Last edited:

Pezz70

Juniors
I thought the main trouble with Brooks was he nearly always kicked straight to an opposition player?
And 10m too short, he seems to land his long kicks on the 20m line a hell of a lot, when Brooks kicks ‘deep’ it almost always starts the opposition set between the 30-40m lines. Not winning the battle he needs to find the corners inside the 10m

Mario chalmers

Juniors
It's clear as f**king day that our halves are the issue.

Simpkin and Laurie are solid. I know Simpkin made a few errors with the forward passes to BJ overrunning the ball (overall I think BJ had a good game) but apart from that he was great.

Brooks and AD are supposed to be creating attacking plays and they did Jack f**king shit. I don't know if it's entirely there fault but f**k me they need to improve their decision making.

Cini was f**king awesome. Mainly his defense. He read the plays like a f**king champ and made some really crucial tackles. Hes ready to stay in FG

I think Talau showed quite a bit at right centre as well given limited opportunities. He is surely a better option than any other right centre options for the rest of the season and should be a walk up start in that role next year once BJ and Roberts are moved on.

Just needs more early ball. Doueihi was a bit too keen to run it yesterday.

CBD72BF8-3E77-4C01-9704-D29538F50667.jpeg
Photo courtesy of my Tiger buddy “Ralph” ( not his real name) at the game yesterday.

He’s the type to turn on us even after a win. He would have credited the victory to Satan being angry at the dragons, probably thru a misunderstanding.

He hates the club intensely which is why he drove from Narellan to the game and back.

I have no idea why he forgot to take shots of the actual game. Some of my friends are like that and no one cares less.

E74D80E9-BFDB-4E7C-93A8-782FAB8D5F4A.jpeg
I took this photo of a UFO for @Tigerm the other night.

Ralph puts @stryker to shame with his expectations of what a football side should be. So when he’s brutal, I’m used to it. They would get along well.

Last edited:

gordsy

Juniors
BJ played well, really didn’t do too much wrong, kept his head in check. 15kg off that guts and continued control of his head and 100% effort he is the sort of bloke that still has it in him to be a top liner. The mental issue is the biggest hurdle for him by a long way

He is too stupid to do that. He may have talent but he doesn't have the desire , commitment and brains to make it work.
Canberra's desire to piss him off and the fact only we wanted him for anything more than a pie and a coke speaks volumes.

Last edited:
I think Talau showed quite a bit at right centre as well given limited opportunities. He is surely a better option than any other right centre options for the rest of the season and should be a walk up start in that role next year once BJ and Roberts are moved on.

Just needs more early ball. Doueihi was a bit too keen to run it yesterday.
Talau will miss this week via suspension I believe, so Roberts will be back and Cini won't see the ball.

Talau to me is just like AD, they both need plenty of sprint training, Talau is not a winger he went on the 2018 Oz schoolboy tour of the UK as a 5/8 - but Madden was the starting 5/8. Talau with the sprint training IMO will do well in the centres. Cini went away as a winger (on the same tour) as did Stephen Crichton from the riff (as a winger).

When Doueihi ran it, plenty of times he just seemed to want to go on his own, never looked like passing it, this is the guy that some 'football people' say has great vision, well Sam Walker has vision, AD wears blinkers. Or is he coached that way?