What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 9 vs Canberra @ McDonalds Park

Who will win? Round 9: Canberra v Newcastle

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Jeez we needed that win. I know the raiders are down on confidence but so are we so that’s such a big win in the context of our season.

We’re probably going to have to settle for scrappy wins for a while given our problems in key positions but we showed a heap of fight in this game which was really lacking last week.

Phoenix was good I thought, not dominant but he got his hands on the ball regularly enough and made some good supporting runs. Hopefully he sees this as a performance that he can build on moving forward.

We’ve got a great opportunity to get back to back wins next week and we should have extra motivation given the Tigers best is earlier this year.

Burwood

Bench
Funny hearing the different opinions on Watson and his role in the team:

1. He’s doing very well, so make him a starter and get him involved as much as possible, or
2. He’s doing very well, so keep him on the bench and have him come on after 20 minutes against tiring players.

PhilGould

Bench
To'a had some absolute howlers in defence and under the high ball (50/50 call on one of them) but saved a certain try and got a crucial strip in the final minutes. Ultimate rocks or diamonds game.

I'd like to see Sue get a start at some point. Might not pump out the same stats Klemmer does but he runs hard and gets quick play the balls.

Spot On

Coach
Crossland went well, need Mann to stop kicking so much and let Crossland do more, first half was not so good, Brailey was very good, rotation of bench was better, don’t know why we didn’t start Jones for Fitzgibbon but can’t complain, Sue is all effort, Watson is so much better coming on after 20-25 mins, Friz was strong. Musgrove gave effort but if Hunt back then he can replace him. Ponga not at his best but still did very good things

Good on him.

Was there any reason so many people had this kid written off so badly??? Had anyone seen him play in the halves for more than 1 game??? He was the standout half in the Mlb trial, looked infinitely better in attack than Pearce and Mann yet the knives have been out before he's started.

perverse

Referee
Good on him.

Was there any reason so many people had this kid written off so badly??? Had anyone seen him play in the halves for more than 1 game??? He was the standout half in the Mlb trial, looked infinitely better in attack than Pearce and Mann yet the knives have been out before he's started.
You're having a laugh yeah? For starters, huffing and puffing about Crossland because he didn't completely shit the bed for one game is premature - which is exactly what you're accusing everyone else of. He's got a lot of good football ahead of him if he's to prove anyone wrong about anything. Shannon McDonnell produced some better games for us than that. Tyrone Roberts and Brock Lamb had some way better games.

I mean everyone knows why you're saying it at the end of the day, and it has little to do with Crossland, but it still reads like a 5 year old wrote it.

Secondly I feel great for the kid that he had an ok game. Unlike your demented self, I'm sometimes happy to be wrong - and if he can build a good season off that game then that would be awesome for us. We need it.

And finally, to answer your question, the reason why people have been writing him off is because up until now he's literally been invisible on the field. Not just bad, completely invisible. Classically speaking that isn't a good sign for future prospects, regardless of his role. It's not hard to piece together, and where are all the posts of you defending him at the time for you to be so incredulous and santicmonious about it now?

What a mindboggling obsession you have with our #7. I'm honestly tempted to notify the club about you, I'm starting to suspect you might be a danger to the guy.

Apey

Staff member
It was the same last year, but no-one wanted to have a bar of it at the time.

Here's a reminder of the David Klemmer we bought:

I'm not sure I'm even that happy with just blaming the rule changes, tbh. I don't know what his go is, but he's not the barnstorming prop that we thought we were getting unfortunately. I can't knock his work ethic, but he's way slower now and has far less venom in him in general. As you said, offload is gone too.

He seems very slow compared to this. Has he bulked up too much? Looks smaller in that video too.

Spot On

Coach
There was a reason Klem was over looked for Origin the past few seasons. Despite what Knights supporters thought, there were and are better options at that level.

Spot On

Coach
Hopefully Crossland stays fit and he can have a good stint in the halves, gain some NRL experience in his preferred position and give the coaching staff a good look at his strengths and weaknesses.

Jono078

Referee
Funny hearing the different opinions on Watson and his role in the team:

1. He’s doing very well, so make him a starter and get him involved as much as possible, or
2. He’s doing very well, so keep him on the bench and have him come on after 20 minutes against tiring players.
It’s an interesting one. Those for him starting say he’s the only forward that offers something different.
My view is I’d rather have the bigger battering rams start the match and then have Watson come on to take advantage of tiring defenses, which he has shown time and time again he’s capable of doing.

don’t think there’s a wrong or right answer here, just different preferences for the dynamic of the team.

Frederick

Staff member
Gladly take the two points, but being realistic we barely beat a struggling Raiders team that played with 15 for most of the match - they were all out of energy by the 70th minute. The first half showed that nothing has changed at all. Still glaring issues with the team that the win yesterday will do nothing but paper over

Spot On

Coach
It’s an interesting one. Those for him starting say he’s the only forward that offers something different.
My view is I’d rather have the bigger battering rams start the match and then have Watson come on to take advantage of tiring defenses, which he has shown time and time again he’s capable of doing.

don’t think there’s a wrong or right answer here, just different preferences for the dynamic of the team.

I like that option as well. O'Brien has done a great job improving his ability to pass. Has a number of try assists already this season. He is now more than just a running threat. He can cause damage with his running game AND put support runners through the line and/or in for a try. He's become much more valuable to us now simply by adding an extra skill to his game that he is now executing under pressure.

Knight Tales

Juniors
If you guys were going to replace Klem who would you sign? Not saying he is going anywhere. James Fisher Harris would be my pick but we have to be realistic. Panthers will never let him go.

Old dog

Juniors
If you guys were going to replace Klem who would you sign? Not saying he is going anywhere. James Fisher Harris would be my pick but we have to be realistic. Panthers will never let him go.
You tossed out realistic when you talked of replacing Klem

Zoidberg

First Grade
I like that option as well. O'Brien has done a great job improving his ability to pass. Has a number of try assists already this season. He is now more than just a running threat. He can cause damage with his running game AND put support runners through the line and/or in for a try. He's become much more valuable to us now simply by adding an extra skill to his game that he is now executing under pressure.
Member those few times playing for us Watson has made a great break, had support, drew the fullback, then throws a shocker of a pass to ruin the whole thing.

Zoidberg

First Grade
We’ve got a great opportunity to get back to back wins next week and we should have extra motivation given the Tigers best is earlier this year.
Yeah sorry, I’ll put my hand up now. I’m going to the game next Friday so chalk it down for a loss.