What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Review from the Sharks site

Inferno

Coach
In a performance described as ‘embarrassing’ by coach Ricky Stuart, the Sharks have slumped to a 26-16 loss to South Sydney.

Souths jumped out to a 20-6 half time lead and while the Sharks showed more commitment in the second 40 minutes, they had given the opposition too much start and were unable to bridge the gap.

While praising his opponents for their performance, Stuart was left disappointed by the efforts of his side, particularly in the first half.

“We let in four soft tries in the first half and yet we were only beaten by 10 points,” Stuart said. “The overall performance by our players, in front of 17,000 fans, was somewhat embarrassing.

Stuart hinted at possible changes to his line up for the next round against St George Illawarra, but praised the efforts of two of his most senior players.

“If the rest of the team put in similar efforts to Lance (Thompson) and Noddy (Brett Kimmorley) we wouldn’t be sitting here on the losing side,” he said. “They both busted their backsides for the team.”

Also escaping the criticism from Stuart was interchange hooker Isaac De Gois, who put in a wholehearted effort at dummy half.

“I was pleased with Isaac’s game. He did some good things for us tonight,” Stuart added.
Running with the assistance of a strong breeze and on the back of a handling error from the Sharks, followed by a holding down penalty to Souths, the visitors mounted the first attacking raid of the contest.

Throwing the ball wide David Peachey picked up a loose pass and managed to plant the ball down within millimetres of the corner post for the first scoring play of the night. Joe Williams converted from touch and Souths led 6-0.

With Souths enjoying the better field position, they again camped deep inside the Sharks half of the field and once more it was a former Shark who would score. Another backline passing movement saw Nathan Merritt the recipient with the speedy winger scampering 10 metres to score.

Almost from the kick off the Rabbits were in again with prop Peter Cusack busting through some brittle Sharks defence before finding Peachey, then hooker Daniel Irvine in support, in what was a spectacular 70-metre try. When Williams converted, Souths had jumped out to a commanding 16-0 advantage.

The Sharks managed to stand firm against further Souths onslaughts and when they were able to build some pressure of their own, they started to work their way back into the match. After some enterprising lead-up play a perfectly weighted Brett Kimmorley cross kick was plucked out of the air by winger Luke Covell for the Sharks first try of the match.
Just when the Sharks looked like creating some momentum, it was Souths, against the run of play, who would extend their lead courtesy of a 75-metre solo effort from Merritt.

The Souths flyer stepped through brittle Sharks defence and out-sprinted the cover defenders to score in the corner.

The teams went to the break with Souths ahead 20-4.

Now with the southerly behind them, the Sharks were able to camp inside the Souths end of the field and force their opponents to defend their goal line in the first period of the second half. Their persistence was rewarded after 15 minutes of trying when hooker De Gois spotted a small opening and snuck over from dummy half. Covell added the extras and the Sharks had given themselves a glimmer of hope at 20-10 behind.

Those hopes however were all but dashed when Dustin Cooper made an error retrieving a kick off his own goal line and Souths second rower David Kidwell was able to step past a couple of Sharks defenders to go over untouched. Williams converted and Souths had assumed a match-winning 26-10 lead.

Lance Thompson looked like he had narrowed the margin just four minutes later, however the video referee denied the try and Souths stayed 16 points in front.

Souths would repel the Sharks attacking raids until a consolation try to Fraser Anderson in the closing moments put some respectability into the scoreline.

As well as Kimmorley, tireless backrower Thompson and hooker De Gois, the Sharks were well served by Anderson on the wing and Phil Leuluai coming off the bench.

In the earlier matches it was a similar story for the Sharks with all four preliminary games going the way of the visiting teams.

In the Premier League, up against a North Sydney side full of players with first grade experience, including highly paid Kiwi international Joe Galuvao, the Sharks battled hard but were eventually overrun by the Bears, going down by 28-12.

On a positive note Mitch Brown continued his comeback from off-season groin surgery and played strongly, while Paul Stephenson had probably his best game in Sharks colours, scoring a smart solo try while running and tackling strongly.

In the forwards Jacob Selmes toiled hard, while hooker Brett Finn made a number of incisive darts out of dummy half, one of those runs resulting in a try adjacent to the uprights.

In the Jersey Flegg the Sharks slumped to a disappointing defeat at the hands of Souths Juniors, giving up an early 18-point lead before going down 32-24. The Sharks struggled to control the ball and the big Souths forwards in the second half, with the visitors running in five second half tries.

Local junior Daniel Sayegh, five eighth Zac Mullane and half back Quincy To’o To’o were among the Sharks best.

On a huge day of football, the under-16 Matthews Cup and under-18 SG Ball sides were also in action, with both going down to Illawarra.

The Sharks will attempt to regroup for next week’s local derby against St George Illawarra, with that match scheduled for Monday night.

Source: http://www.sharks.com.au/index.php?id=435&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=432&tx_ttnews[backPid]=432&cHash=e8e97702f4

Was Sticky watching a different game to everyone else?

Doesn't sound like Noddy will be going anywhere any time soon.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Nobody on here as ever denied Noddys effort. I don't think anybody trys harder than him in the NRL.
the poor bugger just can't play.
we know it, the coach is starting to know it & the players play like it.
its hard to flick a person who trys so hard.

fizman

Bench
blacktip-reefy said:
Nobody on here as ever denied Noddys effort. I don't think anybody trys harder than him in the NRL.

I agree and thats why I would play him at hooker.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
well that aint going to happen, although it should have happened 4 years ago when rugby league advanced past his limited skill set.

Inferno

Coach
Do you think he will get dropped Reefy, and if so when do you think this will occur?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
No, I don't think he will get dropped, especially with Dykes injured, as he is the only logical choice at the club for half & 5/8.
I think kearney would go great at half, however he needs to be gifted some games there & Dykes would have to control game flow from 5/8, taking the play out of the middle third. Whilst I think this is a good thing, I dont think sticky likes to play this way.
I think there will be changes this week though.
I expect Simmons to be dropped for his disgraceful effort. Embarrassing that the guy is a 4 year NRL veteran & does not know how to chase down & run an opponent across the line.
I expecct Stapo to be gone.
I expect Ciraldo to be gone.
I expect Kinga to be gone.

I expect Perenara to come in
Cooper to fullback
Williams to bench.

Inferno

Coach
Dykes won't be injured forever, should he be back next week and Kimmorley put in a couple more performances like last night then what?

Stapler made a couple of uncharacteristic misses but he will definitely still be there. I actually think Ross will be benched with Stapler and Dougy starting.

sticky ricky

Juniors
blacktip-reefy said:

I think the players know he provide us with no attacking flair hence taking things into their own hands with the players trying to barge over dummy half and the short passes to forwards trying to barge over the line.

No point giving it to Nobby.

sticky ricky

Juniors
Inferno said:
I actually think Ross will be benched with Stapler and Dougy starting.

I agree, Ross isn't quite right at the moment but he hasnt played for so long. Douglas has been our best prop by far this season.

Dave Q

Coach
I thought your fullback had a pretty strong game.

Big Rangy fellow, satisfactory yardage, looked pretty safe.

The intent was there from the sharks in the second half, and although knocking off from the attack a bit, Souths defended grimly to stave off the resurgence.

You can take something from that second half, much more positive and controlled.

Boldo

Juniors
Reefy,

Kearney is a running player. He is no halfback. What are you thinking??? He wouldn't even make the souths team....

Kimmorley is the halfback, Thommo was solid. The rest were bloody hopeless. I do agree Reefy that those other players you mentioned will be dropped.

I was not impressed with Cooper. I think they should give Nielson and Stephenson a go.

They missed Dykes.

Surely

Post Whore
Haha f**king ha, cooper to fullback, simmons may have been ordinary, but cooper is f**ken useless.

And if bird wasn't the most dangerous shark out there, i'm reefy's uncle, if only some of our backs would follow him through in support.

Dread

Juniors
Cooper looked... highly unlikely to be playing next week, given that he needed to be helped off the field late in the game. Looked like a knee, looked like a bad injury. He was down for ages.

Unless there's another option I think Simmo will be getting a reprieve.

spider

Coach
blacktip-reefy said:
I expect Simmons to be dropped for his disgraceful effort. Embarrassing that the guy is a 4 year NRL veteran & does not know how to chase down & run an opponent across the line.
but f**k he pulled him no probs on a turn and chase - you are talking about merrit

how many players would have even got close to getting near the bloke

can i ask exactly what did he [simmons] do to command a 'disgraceful effort' reefy?

especially after the sensational effort from the rest of the side - more so our great defensive effort?

cheese

Bench
I'm worried by the way Ricky is going into bat for Kimmorley.

His obsession with Finch over the past few seasons was to his detriment. Had he dealt with the problem when he should have, I'm sure he would have been a career coach at the roosters.

Effort is enough to make a forward look good ....Effort is enough to make a hooker look good. Effort is enough to make a fullback look good (polglase) ....Effort sure as f**k ain't enough to make a halfback look good.

cheese

Bench
I'm merritts biggest fan .....I had it out on the table when we signed him in 03.

One thing merritt isn't is extremely fast. He's quick, but he's never been the quickest at any club he's played at.

Simmo should have got him ....It was an extremely lazy effort

spider

Coach
cheese said:
Effort is enough to make a forward look good ....Effort is enough to make a hooker look good. Effort is enough to make a fullback look good (polglase) ....Effort sure as f**k ain't enough to make a halfback look good.
it is when you put in a cross field kick and you make the tackle

we really were ordinary last night

taking nothing away from souths for their won - but we let in soft tries, or were soft defesively in the lead up