What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mateo anyone???

Eels Dude

Coach
I'd like to see him back as long as he's not too expensive. Let's face it, our back row is very ordinary. I'd say easily the worst in the NRL and strengthening it should be a priority. Paulo did some good things last year but mainly playing as an acting half as opposed to in the backrow.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
It's not hard to see he wants to come back he has said he would like to return and we wouldn't have to compete too hard for him as we now have Stuart who i'd say he would rather play under than Cleary (even though its his ex coach)

Why?

Bigfella

Coach
Defensive liability. You saw him in the 2011 grand final. Sole reason Manly won.

Sure did see it.

Wasn't much else to do after Parra missed the semis that year except get ready for us to go on to win the widden spoon the next year.

I didn't realise at the time how lucky we were to be rid of such a liability. He probably was equally bad the last time he played for us, when we were also in the grand final.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sure did see it.

Wasn't much else to do after Parra missed the semis that year except get ready for us to go on to win the widden spoon the next year.

I didn't realise at the time how lucky we were to be rid of such a liability. He probably was equally bad the last time he played for us, when we were also in the grand final.

Actually he played for us in 2010, though you'd be forgiven for thinking he didn't.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
I can't see why people are comparing Mateo and Paulo. I personally don't think their "styles" are anything alike.

Mateo is an "In/through the line" player. He's a runner, who can break/half break the line and pop an offload (65 in 2012).

Paulo is a "before the line" player. A ball player more than a ball runner. If I was going to compare Paulo to anyone, I'd be more thinking of Glenn Stewart (without the shifty eyes). Yes Paulo can throw an offload, but even Hindy had more in 2012.

That's a good assessment.

I think they can both play a similar game depending on what role their coach wants them to play. I think Paulo could play the "In/through the line" role too, just not as well as Mateo. He has the ability to offload that's for sure. Mateo can also be more of a ball player. It would depend on what Stuart would want i guess. Maybe we will end up with both in out 17 for 2014 playing those two different roles, which would probably be good.

strider

Post Whore
I can't see why people are comparing Mateo and Paulo. I personally don't think their "styles" are anything alike.

Mateo is an "In/through the line" player. He's a runner, who can break/half break the line and pop an offload (65 in 2012).

Paulo is a "before the line" player. A ball player more than a ball runner. If I was going to compare Paulo to anyone, I'd be more thinking of Glenn Stewart (without the shifty eyes). Yes Paulo can throw an offload, but even Hindy had more in 2012.

I concur

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
At his best he's an incredible attacking player, but he's lazy - he does f**k all work off the ball - and he struggles to be effective after 20 minutes of play.

You need two good defensive halves if you want to carry Feleti Mateo in your defensive line.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Paulo and Pauli Pauli sounds like an R&B group from the 90s.

If I recall correctly, they had the hits "Are you really going to break (the defensive line)?" and "My baby only loves me for my offloads".

Was terrible when people found out they had been miming the whole time and it was really Ray Price who was signing.

Latest posts