What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mateo in secret talks with the Dogs.

lingard

Coach
boo hoo - :( Anderson shouts at Mateo and he how wants to go and join his father-figure mate Jimmy Dymock at the Dogs.

Sounds like a Jaime Lyon / Noel Cleal situation to me (though Mateo is not a moron like Lyon).

He is a great talent and will probably carve it up at the Dogs, but he is erratic, makes errors, and ultimately, if he does not want to be here, let him go and get some other pieces to the puzzle that will make us better. We have enough playmakers, and are not struggling at the moment with a c list halfback (with all respect to Robson).

Resign Mortimer and Keating to long term deals and sign a defensive, Ray Price style lock to replace Mateo.

I think you`re right. Not many will agree with me (and I know Raudonikis doesn`t! :lol:), but I think Mateo`s magic is just a little bit over-rated. I think that`s why Anderson wanted to tone him down a bit and turn him into a more traditional style of lock (ie: cut out the fancy stuff).

But I think you`re a little bit wrong about Price. Sure, he was a great defensive lock; but he was also one of the best attacking locks the game has ever seen.

btaag

Juniors
I think you`re right. Not many will agree with me (and I know Raudonikis doesn`t! :lol:), but I think Mateo`s magic is just a little bit over-rated. I think that`s why Anderson wanted to tone him down a bit and turn him into a more traditional style of lock (ie: cut out the fancy stuff).

But I think you`re a little bit wrong about Price. Sure, he was a great defensive lock; but he was also one of the best attacking locks the game has ever seen.

Totally agree - Ray Price was a god and was a great attacking player and runner of the ball. I guess another way of saying it is that Price was a more old school, conventional lock (- eg, not a playmaker like Jim Dymock or Mateo), Wayne Pearce being another in the old mould.

I really like Mateo as well - he reminds me of Jim Dymock (therefore not suprising that they get along so well), but Jimmy Dymock could also smash plenty of forwards in his day and was a great defender. I still get the feeling Mateo is a bit of a defensive liability, though that can be coached.

Eelementary

Post Whore
When Feleti is switched on and firing, he IS magic. He can kick, pass, run, offload...

Problem has been consistency imho. I know he's young, and he'll develop consistency with time.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Michael Hagan tried to defend Feleti in the middle of the field, where locks normally do, and keep Hindmarsh on the flank. But Hagan found it difficult doing that because during the game Hindmarsh would always say to Mateo "go out there" and Hindy would defend where the lock normally would.

Im not sure that Ando wanted Feleti to defend more specifically, but I know he wanted him to do the more nitty gritty work that a lock does. Ando sees that Mateo in his play is always looking for an attacking option, when sometimes the hit up is the best option. If Mateo can find the value of the hit up, im sure Ando would allow him to return to his natural game.

As for Mateo's consistancy, I still think he isnt fit enough. He should be an 80 minute lock with the type of work he does, but he isnt. Worst thing we could do is give up on him, something we have done in the past.

I say bye bye to Mateo if it turns out he is negotiating out of school. if he discussed anything to do with his contract to the Eels at the Albion isnt that taboo right there? Dogs should be looked at.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Michael Hagan tried to defend Feleti in the middle of the field, where locks normally do, and keep Hindmarsh on the flank. But Hagan found it difficult doing that because during the game Hindmarsh would always say to Mateo "go out there" and Hindy would defend where the lock normally would.

Im not sure that Ando wanted Feleti to defend more specifically, but I know he wanted him to do the more nitty gritty work that a lock does. Ando sees that Mateo in his play is always looking for an attacking option, when sometimes the hit up is the best option. If Mateo can find the value of the hit up, im sure Ando would allow him to return to his natural game.

As for Mateo's consistancy, I still think he isnt fit enough. He should be an 80 minute lock with the type of work he does, but he isnt. Worst thing we could do is give up on him, something we have done in the past.

I have little doubt that with a bit of work he'll become the game's next superstar. He just needs to put that work in.

But he has it all there, potentially - agility, skill and a fair bit of pace for a big guy. Has all the talent in the world.

Sparky 74

Juniors
Are Inu & Mateo still with the Eels in 2010 ?

As the Canterbury Lassies were sniffing around them like dogs on heat.

EELICIT

Juniors
Are Inu & Mateo still with the Eels in 2010 ?

As the Canterbury Lassies were sniffing around them like dogs on heat.

LOL, we need to c**k the leg and deliver any excrement we can deliver directly to their sidewalk lined trees

Latest posts