What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mathew Elliots coaching future

griffo346

First Grade
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffo346
Jason Croker (maybe)
Phil Graham (consider but lacks defence)
Jason Smith (i also would consider)
Simon Woolford (i would consider)

parra_panther

In my opinion...

Croker - 2006 may be his swansong
Graham - Worthy for discussions.
Smith - Same as Croker.
Woolford - not whilst Priddis is here (where would he go?)

only reason i would consider smith is to give our younger players more time in lower grades and he would replace presto

choc_soldier

Coach
griffo346 said:
only reason i would consider smith is to give our younger players more time in lower grades and he would replace presto

Fair enough.

But personally, I think that Wallace is being groomed for the number 6 jersey... perhaps number 7 if things turn to sh*t (i.e. Gower leaving).

Raiders Plight

Juniors
didnt expect that, had no idea Lang wanted to leave or was he told to? Elliot isn't too bad, he has done a fair job with the squad he's had here at the raiders.

choc_soldier

Coach
Oh, deary me... Lang may have been pushed...

Elliott to coach NRL club Penrith
Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 7:31 PM
By Adrian Proszenko

Penrith chief executive Glenn Matthews has revealed the stunning coup which lured Canberra coach Matthew Elliott to the Panthers in the space of 24 hours.

Elliott, one of the early favourites to take over the Newcastle coaching job being vacated by Parramatta-bound Michael Hagan next year, has signed a three-year deal with the Panthers.

Having read in newspaper reports that Newcastle had switched their attention from Elliott to Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens, Matthews phoned Elliott to gauge his interest in joining the Panthers - and then signed him to a three-year deal a day later.

"It all happened fairly quickly, I just needed to know if Matthew was available and he was delighted to have a quick chat," Matthews said.

"If you have got an opportunity to get the person you want for your organisation, and you don't take that opportunity then, you might not get that opportunity for another three or four years.

"There are very few people I think could do the job and you can't just put an ad in the paper.

"Everyone in the whole world thought he would sign with Newcastle and then out of the blue they announced they were having discussions with Tim Sheens, so it opened up an opportunity."

Matthews and Elliott didn't even have a chance to meet face-to-face, conducting brief negotiations over the phone.

After a verbal deal was struck, Matthews faxed a contract to Elliott, which he signed and faxed back on Friday, just a day after initial discussions.

In his sixth year with Canberra, Elliott was expected to remain with the Raiders long-term after they were willing to match a three-year deal tabled by the Knights.

However the father of four was keen to return to Sydney for family reasons and the last-minute offer from the Panthers was too good to refuse.

Matthews, who paid tribute to the tremendous work done by Lang at the Panthers, said his only regret was conducting the negotiations behind his back.

"He was disappointed in the decision, but understood why I was doing it," Matthews said.

"He was more disappointed in the fact I had spoken to Matthew before I talked to John and I'm disappointed I did that as well.

"I certainly promised John I would talk to him first, but things just happened so quickly.

"Ideally we would like to make decisions on coaches in the off season but the commercial reality is that's garbage, it won't happen."

Lang informed the Panthers players and coaching staff of the change at a meeting before they left Alice Springs, where they defeated Newcastle 38-30 in the trial.

Panthers hooker Luke Priddis said the shock announcement came "out of the blue".

"We all knew John was off contract at the end of the year but we were understanding the decision would be made mid-year," Priddis said.

"It came as a bit of a shock ... it came out of the blue.

"That's the way the business of rugby league seems to be going these days.

The move is a major blow for Lang, who guided the club to the 2003 premiership and now joins Parramatta's Brian Smith in facing an entire season knowing he's already been replaced for 2007.

Elliott, Hagan, Smith and Lang will all be under immense scrutiny this season amid suggestions their current clubs could suffer due to their pending departures.

Elliott said he would have no problems concentrating on his role this year with the Raiders.

"I feel enormously flattered and very fortunate to be able to continue my coaching career in the NRL with Penrith," Elliott said.

"In the meantime I intend to ensure that my coaching continues to improve."

Brought to you by AAP

http://www.nrl.com/News/News/tabid/...29/Default.aspx

innsaneink

Referee
LOL...Elliott didnt need much convincing. Faxed a contract :lol:...

as Bruno Cullen wouldve said, "were not buying a block of land"

As has been mentioned earlier, the whole things Newcastle fault, the whole sorry mess. :lol:

Hurriflatch

Referee
To be honest Brian Smith coaching the Raiders could be a good thing

Smith is great at getting a side from the bottom of the ladder to consistant finalists it's taking the final step thats been his problem.

The Raiders 2005-2006 remind me a lot of Parra around 1996 when Smith took over

Lots of good young kids coming through but zero direction at any level of the club.

freeridermx

Juniors
lol i cant believe they done that to john lang he has been great for the panthers and this is how they repay him .lol i still cant believe it . when i first seen it i was thinking lang must of retired but nope they just went behind his back . very questionable call by the panthers.

sydraider

First Grade
freeridermx said:
lol i cant believe they done that to john lang he has been great for the panthers and this is how they repay him .lol i still cant believe it . when i first seen it i was thinking lang must of retired but nope they just went behind his back . very questionable call by the panthers.

Lang has done a great job at the panthers IMO and I felt he was pretty damn good at the sharks whilst he was there.

He sems to do well when he is around richo, maybe a coaching directors role or assistant coaches role awaits him at the bunnies in 07?

griffo346

First Grade
Its Truely A Sad Day For Us Fans Exspeically Now We Know Wat Happened To The Poor Fella I Am Disopointed In The Management Of My Club :(

mmmmmmmmm i didnt know it was legal to fax contracts maybe it is now :?

PLEASE WHY ELLIOTT WE COULD HAD SMITH OR MAYBE EVEN ANDERSON

cainen

Juniors
aids said:
why were panthers unhappy with Lang?

Who knows. But there must be something. All I can think of is that Penrith's recruitment has been pretty poor under him. But when has Penrith ever had a good recruitment strategy? Plus he's hardly the only one to blame for that..

Caged Panther

First Grade
Sounds like a bloody amatuerish way to recruit a coach to me. Especially when your doing it behind the back of an incumbent, who happened to have won you a premiership, who also happens not to have indicated one way or another whether he wanted to extend his contract.

greeneyed

First Grade
Very sad for John Lang, with Penrith doing this behind his back. Elliott's public pronouncements about the honourable way to negotiate contracts doesn't look like it was followed either. Not that I care too much about that... I'm glad Elliott is out of here - if only it was tomorrow.

Latest posts