What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Bickerstaff

Steel Dragon

Bench
we've managed to sign a heap of our younger players (good stuff imo) but we shoulda kept signing guys like bicks before we even thought about that oxygen theif woolford

Wicks

Juniors
If you look at the timing of the resignings and when Woolford could talk to teams that thought doesnt work out. Woolford is in a more crucial position and Bickerstaff isnt in that same way. Seems like we've set a value rather than being too restricted by the cap.

The Preacher

First Grade
Wicks said:
If you look at the timing of the resignings and when Woolford could talk to teams that thought doesnt work out. Woolford is in a more crucial position and Bickerstaff isnt in that same way. Seems like we've set a value rather than being too restricted by the cap.

FFS, we,ve got Gorrell, Young and Ndira to cover ONE crucial position, we didn't need to sign Woolford. Bickerstaff would be great for the young blokes coming through, he doesn't get suspended frequently, and he's not an injury crock. The fact we have signed "The Germ" and not Bickers is a crock also,
A CROCK OF SIHT. :twisted:

Wicks

Juniors
Dean is a backrower who has filled in at hooker We've had Hornby passing from acting half. Both Gorrell and Ndira are offcontract and we dont really know what they want. If they go, they will be replaced. Neither have the experience on their own but they can stay and earn a spot. Woolford doesnt come into it We wanted an experienced hooker.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Its unfortunate that any player has to negotiate a fee lower than the year before, but it happens often. Matt Bickerstaff is a fine player with the right attitude, and good luck to him in whatever he decides. But at the end of the day it is a business and Saints have a few forwards coming through.

Players like Bickerstaff are on the backend of their careers now. Like lots of players throughout the League, he was signed on to fill the void and offer experience while young players were establishing themselves, and while other players were on rep duties. I have to say, Bickerstaff in particular has performed above expectations, and I speculate that this would be the reason why the door is still open for him.

And the issues of signing Woolford and retaining Bickerstaff are poles apart. Key positions and all that.

Corkie292

Juniors
Gentlemen, with respect, I think the issue of signing Woolford and not retaining players like Bickers is a perfectly reasonable question to ask. Woolford is 31, is that not toward the end of his career. He is too often in trouble with the judiciary and has gone from Captain of the Raiders to clearly "on the nose" with Canberra officialdom and can't Goal Kick. We have a wealth of hookers and absolutely no need to waste money on another one. Ndaira shows promise, Goz has performed admirably after being thrown a lifeline and these 2 guys would be much better value than spending $100,000 on a player of the likes of Simon Woolford. Bickers is 30 (a year younger than Woolford) performed well above expectations, and the closest he's come to the judiciary is going past in a bus ! My answer, save $100,000 by not bothering with Woolford, and use that money for retaining proven performers like Bickerstaff, Gorrell etc. Makes perfect sense to me.

Wicks

Juniors
Corkie292 said:
We have a wealth of hookers and absolutely no need to waste money on another one.

It's our weakest position. I'm glad you're not doing the recruitment and retention.

The Preacher

First Grade
Wicks said:
It's our weakest position. I'm glad you're not doing the recruitment and retention.

Wicksy... Pleeeaase, if you keep backing the signing of "The Germ" i'm going to keep your posts and use them for fertilizer come spring gardening.
"Our weakest position", that's Bullsiht !:?

Fuddy

Juniors
Bickerstaff has been playing great footy this year. Guys like him and Sam Isemonger have kept the Dragons moving up the ladder whilst the rep players have been away and both have been rewarded with positions in the 17 above others who at the start of the season were apparent booms and are now in reggies (eg Corey Payne).

Both Bickers and Sammy were treated poorly by past clubs (particularly the Sharks) and were not given the opps they deserved. I know that both are rated by the club and Brownie is impressed by what they have brought to the club this year.

I must disagree with Wicks and others who suggest that Dean Young is a backrower filling in at hooker - I think the Dragons look far better with Young at hooker and moving him into the back row (as good a 80 minute player in the game at the moment) when an elusive impact player comes on for periods at dummy half - although in the long term he'll probably finish up at lock but can play about 6 positions.

I think the decision to rush in and buy Woolford was a stunning one - but it is hard to be too critical when the same team of recruiters kept the three most important current off-contract players at the club. I believe that the club is currently trying to keep both Bicksrs and Sammy at the club and if that occurs it's hard to see both playing anywhere else but first grade on current form.

Wicks

Juniors
The Preacher said:
"Our weakest position", that's Bullsiht !

The club disagrees. With centres looking strong and the halves improving although always a battle there hooker is the weakest position. Signing Tony Caine helps if he can overcome his injury.

Fuddy said:
I must disagree with Wicks and others who suggest that Dean Young is a backrower filling in at hooker - I think the Dragons look far better with Young at hooker and moving him into the back row (as good a 80 minute player in the game at the moment) when an elusive impact player comes on for periods at dummy half - although in the long term he'll probably finish up at lock but can play about 6 positions.

I agree with you in regards to this year But whether it was Alker from Salford or Woolford and Caine we were looking to shift Young back next year.

Steel Dragon

Bench
Ok - explain to me why we have 3 quality hookers at the moment - Nadira, Young and Gorrell - let one go last year - Ennis, and at the moment we have one 5/8 - Barrett!?!?!!??!

If you ask me 5/8 is our weakest by far. Hornby is a good stop gap solution, and Gaz has done little thus far to suggest he is the future for the dragons in the #6.

Now tell me again what our weakest position is.....

The Preacher

First Grade
Steel Dragon said:
Ok - explain to me why we have 3 quality hookers at the moment - Nadira, Young and Gorrell - let one go last year - Ennis, and at the moment we have one 5/8 - Barrett!?!?!!??!

If you ask me 5/8 is our weakest by far. Hornby is a good stop gap solution, and Gaz has done little thus far to suggest he is the future for the dragons in the #6.

I'm with you Steelo. I think Wicks is employed by the club somehow. Too nice trying to explain buying and selling. C'mon Wicks, fess-up !!;-)

Wicks

Juniors
Steel Dragon said:

Hooker.

Gasnier Hornby Blayney R Williams B Dureau N Wynn. Or Gorrell Ndaira D Young Keith Davidson McPhail. Stronger at fiveeighth than hooker even if you include players not playing hooker for the Dragons next year. Hornby Gasnier play fiveeighth from their usual positions now.

Quality is an overstatement. Gorrell Ndaira are not under contract Gorrell might be signed. Club says Young will play backrow.

I was looking at halves all together A few players play both. Dragons look at the depth in all three positions together.

Steel Dragon

Bench
The Preacher said:
I think Wicks is employed by the club somehow. Too nice trying to explain buying and selling. C'mon Wicks, fess-up !!;-)

Either that or Wicks is an Undercover Scummer.:crazy:

The Preacher

First Grade
You're a club plant aren't you Wicksy, c'mon, fess-up. 21 posts old, did you join just for the recruitment season. Tell us, c'mon Wicksy ??? :)

Father Ted

First Grade
Wicks said:
Neither nuclear nor tropical :p

I have a feeling that quality players in depth around 5/8th and 1/2th might be more of a problem next year rather than hooker .

dubopov

Coach
If you've been watching recent games, you'll notice that in attack, Hornby is dummy half and Young is playing like a wide receiver.