What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Cooper Says:

Parko1310

Juniors
Wasn't Brett trying to get Josh to come to the Dragons, but salary cap pressures didn't allow it, so Brett went the other way? Josh was bad timing coming through when we had Cooper and Gasnier. You can't keep them all.

As for Gasnier

Gasnier admits he needed to start again. He left the NRL with a bitter taste in his mouth, brought about by dissatisfaction over the handling of his contract. It had nothing to do with St George Illawarra or the game of rugby league. But when the chance came to link with Ewen McKenzie at Stade Francais, Gasnier jumped.

"My thought process was I definitely don't want to play for another NRL club and that wasn't going to solve the situation, because my problem wasn't with the Dragons," he said.

He had a 3rd party deal, that 3rd party didn't pay him. How is that the club's fault?

Also, being a better servant of the club doesn't make someone a better coach. Should coaches be hired based on how long they played for the club, or ability as a coach?
I believe Brett was worth a fair bit more than what he got when he signed his last deal with the Dragons. He was told if he signed for less, the club would make up for it in the next deal by paying him a fair bit more, and playing him as a fullback. So, he signed, but the next time he came off contract they low-balled him and went back on their promise in terms of not only playing him at fullback (as they had Dugan there), but also not paying him his worth.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I believe Brett was worth a fair bit more than what he got when he signed his last deal with the Dragons. He was told if he signed for less, the club would make up for it in the next deal by paying him a fair bit more, and playing him as a fullback. So, he signed, but the next time he came off contract they low-balled him and went back on their promise in terms of not only playing him at fullback (as they had Dugan there), but also not paying him his worth.
To fair, that may be true but he wanted to play with his brother at Canterbury which was a factor

Coffs dragon

Bench
Not all players bow out in the circumstances they want or prefer. It’s a team sport and one of the toughest in the world.
Man up and get over it!
Sowie was shunted out the door & left some bitterness behind. He has gladly returned to the mighty RedV to help out in a coaching capacity.
Forgiveness works wonders.

FlameThrower

Bench
I’m not really following this Matt Cooper saga - what’s his beef and why is he making a fuss now after 10 years?

BLM01

First Grade
Not all players bow out in the circumstances they want or prefer. It’s a team sport and one of the toughest in the world.
Man up and get over it!
Sowie was shunted out the door & left some bitterness behind. He has gladly returned to the mighty RedV to help out in a coaching capacity.
Forgiveness works wonders.
I can guarantee if Price or Mary was still at our club around coaching Sowie would not be back.

Walpole

Juniors
It appears to me as a grab for relevance, in an attempt to get a big money fight, or plug a new book.
It very much sounds like there's a book coming out. Goes hand in hand with all the reality TV appearances. Question is though, is anyone really going to read a book written(??) by Matt Cooper?

DfL

Juniors
Don't understand the deal with the bloke lol. Rated him as a player but guy still fishing for some sort of attention and relevance. He had comments to make about the team not showing up to their awards night, but then he misses out on the reunion. Has been talking about how shit we have been but also wants to wait until next year when the season has started so he can speak out and get "maximum coverage" and try and screw the season for us. Abit delusional don't you think or just a scummy move. Either all the guy is a bit how ya going cause it deadset was the longest time ago.

possm

Coach
Unlike some, I support what Matt Copper is doing. I hope he shines a light on Peter Doust and Craig Young's mismanagement and backroom deals.

I would say the most probable reason for Matt to be speaking up now, is that Peter Doust has been re-appointed to the Board and Craig Young has resigned. If I were to guess the reason for Cooper's angst, I'd say it was a promise made by Doust and Young in regard to payment or terms of a contract. Morris left due to promises not being honoured and I suppose other have done the same.

Qdf

Juniors
Unlike some, I support what Matt Copper is doing. I hope he shines a light on Peter Doust and Craig Young's mismanagement and backroom deals.

I would say the most probable reason for Matt to be speaking up now, is that Peter Doust has been re-appointed to the Board and Craig Young has resigned. If I were to guess the reason for Cooper's angst, I'd say it was a promise made by Doust and Young in regard to payment or terms of a contract. Morris left due to promises not being honoured and I suppose other have done the same.
Yes.....a couple of real shonkies those two. One down one to go.

Latest posts