What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

possm

Coach
If we could offload Widdop for a good price this year, I think he is on around 900K a season, it would have been in our best interest to offload him. I would play him left centre if I was coach, with Lomax being our other centre. I think he would be better than Lafai, and he wouldn't be holding any youngsters back. I would be hoping the Marsters is good enough to take the left centre spot next year and would even give him a run there if we got and injury to a centre. I would have been trying to offload, Widdop, Aitken and Lafai before this season started.

We could have let Widdop go but wanted him to stay for 2019. This could only happen if the Eels were subsidiing either Hayne or Norman.

But you are right, imagine what SGI could have done with the extra 900k. Quality outside backs come to mind.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
My response to Jimmy didn't format correctly, so I re did it here

Norman and Widdop are different players with different strengths. Normans greatest strength is his playmaking and game managing ability. He is also very good at going to the line and putting a runner through a hole. We have lacked that for a long time. Widdop's greatest strength is his running game and taking advantage of opportunities that present themselves.

When Norman was playing halfback for Parra, he was touted as Cronk's future replacement in the Qld team. He also got his 900K contract then and we were also in the market for him. He was one of the form players in the competition. Norman and Widdop would actually make a very good halves pairing.

Those two in the halves would be Marshall/Widdop Mark II....no thanks.

Norman plays one noteworthy game followed by a half dozen mediocre ones. It’s been his weakness for years now.

Frank Facer

First Grade
We could have let Widdop go but wanted him to stay for 2019. This could only happen if the Eels were subsidiing either Hayne or Norman.

But you are right, imagine what SGI could have done with the extra 900k. Quality outside backs come to mind.
I agree. I also imagine if we could have offloaded Aitken and Lafia as well as Widdop. We could have bought 2 outside backs, one being Robert Jennings, who Maguire is playing centre for Wests and a prop if ones become available.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Those two in the halves would be Marshall/Widdop Mark II....no thanks.

Norman plays one noteworthy game followed by a half dozen mediocre ones. It’s been his weakness for years now.
I disagree that Norman and Widdop would have been Marshall Widdop Mark II. Norman is a genuine halfback, but most of you haven't worked that out yet.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think the point here re: Norman was we had to move on him now. If we had waited until this seasons end, we could not predict if other clubs would also require a quality half by then, either through injury, poor form or even retirement.
So moving on him was the right decision for the future and whilst not ideal for the now, at least we wont be in for a player market frenzy for a half at seasons end.
Norman will take time to adjust to Dragons footy (be that good and bad sides) and gave to remember the cess pool he came from.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I disagree that Norman and Widdop would have been Marshall Widdop Mark II. Norman is a genuine halfback, but most of you haven't worked that out yet.

If your assessment is correct, SGI will have two halfbacks in the halves from next year onwards.

Same result as Marshal/Widdop.

Hold the Moet.

Dragons 09

Juniors
Marvellous how there are all these "move Widdop on" notions which is solely bought about by buying Norman, who has done exactly what?
Showed a couple of glimpses of "off the cough genius" and an ability to not make the tangible difference in a teams performance over a year.
If we are chasing a premiership then IMO we have a far better chance of doing that with Widdop in the 6 jumper.
Norman has not even come close to Widdop's performances over the past few years, yet people want him to get the gig.
How we love to pin our hopes on new boys who have a bit of press hype about them.
If we were to lose Widdop and Norman crashed and burned (quite possible although coach will stick no matter what) where to then for the season?

You may have missed my point above OT. There was only 2 replies to the suggestion raised by "ground zero" above at the time you commented and i was one of those replies, so i assume "all these move Widdop on notions" was in reference to my post?

If so, i never suggested moving him on was "solely bought about by buying Norman" and i certainly never suggested that i "wanted him to get the gig". I'm not even suggesting that Norman is half the player that Gaz is and well may turn out to be a flop.

What i was trying to say is, Widdop signed a long lucrative contract with us and since the day he signed, our recruitment and retention strategies have been made with the understanding that we had a world class 5/8 locked in for 4 years at $900K a season and that we had to work around those facts. All of a sudden, he decides mid contract that he wants to go on another journey, which creates complications for our recruitment and retention past decisions and future planning.

If i need to spell it out simply, i am dirty on what Gaz has done! The difficulties he has created on recruitment and retention has led to Norman's knee jerk signing (if Gaz was staying put, would we have signed him at all?) which has possibly held back Fields progression, has definitely held back Dufty's progression and led to one of the top 5/8's in the game finding himself at fullback (not what i consider the best thing for the club) to cater for the problems that he himself has help create.

For me, it has nothing to do with me thinking Norman is the great white saviour, far from it. I am just pissed off with the situation that Gaz has created for the club and on that basis, more than happy for him to go now and use his money to correct some of the problems he has helped create. Club first! End of rant!

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
You may have missed my point above OT. There was only 2 replies to the suggestion raised by "ground zero" above at the time you commented and i was one of those replies, so i assume "all these move Widdop on notions" was in reference to my post?

If so, i never suggested moving him on was "solely bought about by buying Norman" and i certainly never suggested that i "wanted him to get the gig". I'm not even suggesting that Norman is half the player that Gaz is and well may turn out to be a flop.

What i was trying to say is, Widdop signed a long lucrative contract with us and since the day he signed, our recruitment and retention strategies have been made with the understanding that we had a world class 5/8 locked in for 4 years at $900K a season and that we had to work around those facts. All of a sudden, he decides mid contract that he wants to go on another journey, which creates complications for our recruitment and retention past decisions and future planning.

If i need to spell it out simply, i am dirty on what Gaz has done! The difficulties he has created on recruitment and retention has led to Norman's knee jerk signing (if Gaz was staying put, would we have signed him at all?) which has possibly held back Fields progression, has definitely held back Dufty's progression and led to one of the top 5/8's in the game finding himself at fullback (not what i consider the best thing for the club) to cater for the problems that he himself has help create.

For me, it has nothing to do with me thinking Norman is the great white saviour, far from it. I am just pissed off with the situation that Gaz has created for the club and on that basis, more than happy for him to go now and use his money to correct some of the problems he has helped create. Club first! End of rant!

I’d say with confidence that Widdop’s recantation of his long term SGI contract is more of a reflection against McIdiot than anything else.

Simply put, he’s had enough of being poorly coached and wants out asap.

I’m more pissed off at Millward’s poor recruiting skills ie. no wingers for the upcoming season...WTF?

Dragons 09

Juniors
I’d say with confidence that Widdop’s recantation of his long term SGI contract is more of a reflection against McIdiot than anything else.

I’m more pissed off at Millward’s poor recruiting skills ie. no wingers for the upcoming season...WTF?

I couldn't say with confidence, but It could well of played a significant role in his decision, i guess we will never really know. But the fact the decision has been made, for whatever reason, I am happy to look forward and use Widdop's money to help sort out our deficiencies and secure our in-house prospects..

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I couldn't say with confidence, but It could well of played a significant role in his decision, i guess we will never really know. But the fact the decision has been made, for whatever reason, I am happy to look forward and use Widdop's money to help sort out our deficiencies and secure our in-house prospects..

Morris, Merrin, Bird, Dugan etc.

Too much of a coincidence,

Old Timer

Coach

My original post was rather generalist in nature and was taking into account commentary from both recent and past posts re letting Widdop go.
Thanks for your clarification but disagree to some point with your comments re recruitment.
The club in fact wasn’t too put out about Widdop’s leaving and was very busy chasing Hayne to be our FB and pretty much had all its eggs in that basket.
So the reality was that a new FB not a 5/8 replacement was required and if Hayne had kept his nose clean and signed Norman never comes to our club.
Therefore Hayne f**king up is the reason behind Norman’s arrival and Widdop now becomes the casualty of that.
If Dufty was considered not ready for 1st grade and we needed a FB we should have kept going down that track but in the end we didn’t and we took the “cheap subsidised” option of getting Norman now and then making stupid changes to accomodate him.
By doing the above the door has been firmly shut on all other half options in our club and the only way forward for the likes of Field is if Hunt ultimately goes to hooker which explains to me why the club aren’t too worried about Robson leaving.
So our recruitment initially was never about replacing Gaz the club was ok with the situation of having him leave at the end of the year and they thought adding Hayne at FB gave them a premiership window.
IMO Norman is no Hayne nor Widdop and people say his best position is in fact halfback so why not relocate Hunt and get the best option of all?

Frank Facer

First Grade
If your assessment is correct, SGI will have two halfbacks in the halves from next year onwards.

Same result as Marshal/Widdop.

Hold the Moet.
Hunt may be better suited to 5/8. He has a the running game of a 5/8. There has been question marks over Hunts ability to game manage and to make the crucial plays. Playing 5/8 would with Norman halfback will allow Hunt to play his natural game. He can still be a playmaker, but with less responsibility less pressure. I have stated numerous times that if I was coach, Norman would be wearing the number 7 on his back and playing halfback and Hunt would be wearing the number 6 and playing 5/8.

Are you able to give reasons, why Hunt wouldn't make a good 5/8?

Como Connection

First Grade

Millward is the last of the club's problems I say.
Plus Corey will be fine and will straighten the attack.
That would be a good idea.
CC

Como Connection

First Grade
My original post was rather generalist in nature and was taking into account commentary from both recent and past posts re letting Widdop go.
Thanks for your clarification but disagree to some point with your comments re recruitment.
The club in fact wasn’t too put out about Widdop’s leaving and was very busy chasing Hayne to be our FB and pretty much had all its eggs in that basket.
So the reality was that a new FB not a 5/8 replacement was required and if Hayne had kept his nose clean and signed Norman never comes to our club.
Therefore Hayne f**king up is the reason behind Norman’s arrival and Widdop now becomes the casualty of that.
If Dufty was considered not ready for 1st grade and we needed a FB we should have kept going down that track but in the end we didn’t and we took the “cheap subsidised” option of getting Norman now and then making stupid changes to accomodate him.
By doing the above the door has been firmly shut on all other half options in our club and the only way forward for the likes of Field is if Hunt ultimately goes to hooker which explains to me why the club aren’t too worried about Robson leaving.
So our recruitment initially was never about replacing Gaz the club was ok with the situation of having him leave at the end of the year and they thought adding Hayne at FB gave them a premiership window.
IMO Norman is no Hayne nor Widdop and people say his best position is in fact halfback so why not relocate Hunt and get the best option of all?
Disagree, Norman was always the number one target.
CC