What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

blacksafake

First Grade
People saying he’s our best 5/8 but I’m not sure about this. It’s a lot different ball playing out wider than in traffic with the defence in your face & whether he’s tough enough physically or mentally for the constant attention is debatable. He’d also have to do more in defence which would take some gas out of his attack.

the garage

Juniors
Dufty's attacking skillset is something quite rare and cannot be taught. It is something of immense value.
His passing game alone to be held in high appreciation.

A team is a combination of total skills, both in attack & defense, and any individual must be seen in that light.

To my mind Dufty's attack is very much an advantage that cannot be coached whereas defense can be somewhat defined by team structure.

Do your job Hook and coach the team, don't take the easy option to the teams detriment.

To let go of Dufty now is criminal, 25yo? right in his prime with best 3 years of his career pending.

Have no idea what Dufty is asking but if the Bronco's sign him for < 600k how stupid are we.

As I have said there is obviously a money stalemate. He will not budge on what we are willing to offer. Market value is quite low as you yourself acknowledge. They would probably rather start from scratch than pay overs. We are already paying good coin for Hunt, Lomax and DeBelin plus we have a few players that clubs won’t be paying the final year in their deal so we don’t really have money for paying overs anymore. If our halves actually did their job ie Sullivan starting and reaching his potential we may not need such an attacking fullback. I personally have seen some good signs from Ramsey. But I’m looking for positives not waiting for a drop to say I told you so. He will get over that just like Rava and his light stepping, flick passes and speed will all come to the fore once he gets confidence using them in first grade. Is he the answer? I don’t know but it’s way too early to rule him out. All the coaching staff have seen something most people on here haven’t so I’ll leave it there. Long story short Dufty is gone, Ramsey is here long term, let’s support him.

Good post.
I think it’s a shrewd move from the dragons. Perhaps something like this..

Dufty asked for a price..$600k per season..
they didn’t think he’s worth it..
Looking at fullbacks in other teams, assessing the market for #1’s, interest would be limited to a few at most...
Give him advice to explore his options...

Then a number of things might happen

- If he gets a new club - good luck and we can use that money elsewhere.
- he doesn’t get a new club, and accepts a lower, “more reasonable” offer.
- his form improves dramatically, having taken away his “entitlement” to the #1 jersey. Rises to the challenge. He could prove he’s worth it and we keep him..
- his form stays as is, or drops... he doesn’t prove he’s worth it and the decision is justified.

I think there’s upside in what they’ve done. Paul McGregor challenged him last year - effectively “you can go play at the Gold Coast if you want”... Dufty didn’t go, and what do you know - his form improved dramatically..

Here we are again, the challenge to him has been set, and what do you know - he pulls that performance on Thursday out of the bag.. Who knows whether it will last or not..

But it proves to me that it’s Duftys attitude which is the major factor in assessing him as a viable signing or not. And to me it’s not valuable at the moment. Seems he needs it taken away from him before he puts his best in. Needs a kick up the arse... that shouldn’t be required in professional football, and especially at $600k a year.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dufty vs Brisbane
2 tries
5 try assists
15 runs

That's not a bad conversion rate for 15 runs. Basically, every second time he touched the ball, we scored.

Plus he also saved a try in defence. But he may have been out of position for Brisbane's last try, so time for him to pack his bags.

Illusion

Bench
Dufty vs Brisbane
2 tries
5 try assists
15 runs

That's not a bad conversion rate for 15 runs. Basically, every second time he touched the ball, we scored.

Plus he also saved a try in defence. But he may have been out of position for Brisbane's last try, so time for him to pack his bags.
Soon as he makes a defensive error the knives are out .... but when he scores or sets up play most don't say much the moment an error is made they pounce ..... when the rest of the team is leaking point he makes an error its Duffs fault .....

surfleague

Juniors
People saying he’s our best 5/8 but I’m not sure about this. It’s a lot different ball playing out wider than in traffic with the defence in your face & whether he’s tough enough physically or mentally for the constant attention is debatable. He’d also have to do more in defence which would take some gas out of his attack.
Yes .. it would be a risk but I remember when Billy Smith was shifted from centre to half and that worked out OK!

He must be retained and moved to five-eighth. If this happened we would not have had a #6 with this much x-factor since Choc (and that's no disrespect to Sowie. They're just different types of #6).

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The box told me that five try assists is just one short of equalling the record.

I know Brisbane are shit, but when you've got people scrambling for the record books, that's gotta be worth something.

And at the end of the day, you can only play the team in front of you.

Right now Brisbane are having nightmares about Matt Dufty. How good is that?

boardlumps62

Juniors
These are a list of Current Fullbacks in the NRL off the top of my head... Where do people think Dufty Ranks amongst these..

Ie - who is he better than....

Mine are in order

Trbojevic
Tedesco
Tuivasa Scheck
Papenhuyzen
Mitchell
Gutherson
Ponga
Nicoll-Klokstad
Brimson
Hynes
Laurie
Kennedy
Edwards
Allan
Walsh
Holmes
Watene Zelezniak
Hoy
Isaako

I may have missed a few, apologies.

For me - and i'm honestly not being vindictive or smart - he'd sit around Walsh/Holmes.. Walsh is only new and has incredible talent, no doubt will rocket up the charts next year. Ie Walsh has far more upside IMO than Dufty.

I can only rank confidently rank him above Hoy, Isaako, and possibly Watene Zelezniak.

We currently have the best collective quality of fullbacks I can recall. Maybe he does need a positional shift....
And the ones who are better than him are all locked up. So we replace a try scoring whiz with who one of the blokes out of contract that he is much better than anyway. Think someone is playing poker hope they don't end up clutching at air when Duff dashes through the backdoor.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Good post.
I think it’s a shrewd move from the dragons. Perhaps something like this..

Dufty asked for a price..$600k per season..
they didn’t think he’s worth it..
Looking at fullbacks in other teams, assessing the market for #1’s, interest would be limited to a few at most...
Give him advice to explore his options...

Then a number of things might happen

- If he gets a new club - good luck and we can use that money elsewhere.
- he doesn’t get a new club, and accepts a lower, “more reasonable” offer.
- his form improves dramatically, having taken away his “entitlement” to the #1 jersey. Rises to the challenge. He could prove he’s worth it and we keep him..
- his form stays as is, or drops... he doesn’t prove he’s worth it and the decision is justified.

I think there’s upside in what they’ve done. Paul McGregor challenged him last year - effectively “you can go play at the Gold Coast if you want”... Dufty didn’t go, and what do you know - his form improved dramatically..

Here we are again, the challenge to him has been set, and what do you know - he pulls that performance on Thursday out of the bag.. Who knows whether it will last or not..

But it proves to me that it’s Duftys attitude which is the major factor in assessing him as a viable signing or not. And to me it’s not valuable at the moment. Seems he needs it taken away from him before he puts his best in. Needs a kick up the arse... that shouldn’t be required in professional football, and especially at $600k a year.
Excuse my ignorance, but where has this 600K figure come from?

Firstly, I don't think it's enough.

Secondly, other Clubs are paying that, and overs, for quality attacking backs.

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
I know Brisbane are shit, but when you've got people scrambling for the record books, that's gotta be worth something.

There was a report in one of the papers of an unnamed senior Dragons official playing down the performance claiming that it was against an "under 20s" level opposition.

Leaving aside that the Dragons often lose (and recently have lost) games against that quality of opposition, it still begs the question of why Dufty? Why wasn't it Hunt posting those numbers? Or Norman? Or Bird or De Belin or AM?

I thought each of those named played well the other night but if it was so easy, why such a gulf in the output?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
There was a report in one of the papers of an unnamed senior Dragons official playing down the performance claiming that it was against an "under 20s" level opposition.

Leaving aside that the Dragons often lose (and recently have lost) games against that quality of opposition, it still begs the question of why Dufty? Why wasn't it Hunt posting those numbers? Or Norman? Or Bird or De Belin or AM?

I thought each of those named played well the other night but if it was so easy, why such a gulf in the output?
Which news source was that? Unnamed official speaks volumes. That said, this Club has stuffed up numerous times before.

Illusion

Bench
The box told me that five try assists is just one short of equalling the record.

Right now Brisbane are having nightmares about Matt Dufty. How good is that?
Yes Willow but what's worse than that he most likely end up there and doing the same to us next year .....

LINESPEED

Juniors

Well our disastrous Board remains unchanged, unrepentant & unambiguously full of arseholes

... and Duff & his management have justifiably no doubt called them such.

Entrenched buffoons with unchallenged egos have ruined many a Club around the world.

Time to act yet again Webby

... or they’ll throw you under the bus soon enough.

The official alluded to must be the anti-Duff cheerleader

... and it’s not a difficult guess IMO

Fan & player power needs harnessing.
Where are you Benny?

...time for some leaks from the inside too

Name the bastard

Where’s a decent journo when u need them FFS?

Last edited: