What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

getsmarty

Immortal
Dufty vs Brisbane
2 tries
5 try assists
15 runs

That's not a bad conversion rate for 15 runs. Basically, every second time he touched the ball, we scored.

Plus he also saved a try in defence. But he may have been out of position for Brisbane's last try, so time for him to pack his bags.

Agree...BUT he hasn't been able to do this against top 4 sides on a consistent basis....Rocks and diamonds....Let me put forward this imaginary scenario...If the coaching staff have given him "X amount of time " to fix his defense and other issues and they are not happy with the progress, then so be it....

He has been in the top grade for 5 years....arguably the former coach wouldn't have helped his progress...Flanno worked miracles last year ...

Griffin is known for bringing through juniors.... I reckon Sloan has been earmarked for the position and dufty may possibly want a long term deal....

Personally I hate losing promising local juniors and it will be sad to see him in an opposition jumper, but it is what it is....

Gareth67

First Grade
I’m not privvy to any inside goss but maybe he’s being moved on for a reason?

Regardless of the reason it appears that he will be on his way , but what I do not understand ( and I am sure that I am not alone here ) is just who will replace him ? Griffin cannot afford to have one of the younger brigade replace the man as they would be too inexperienced .

His only option is to look outside and whomever this mystery fullback is he must be most adept in both attack and his defense , otherwise getting rid of the Duff will be a wasted exercise .

Regardless of the reason it appears that he will be on his way , but what I do not understand ( and I am sure that I am not alone here ) is just who will replace him ? Griffin cannot afford to have one of the younger brigade replace the man .

His only option is to look outside and whomever this mystery fullback is he must most adept in both attack and his defense , otherwise getting rid of the Duff will be a wasted exercise .
Just a hunch but I’d imagine Griffin has a plan of sorts.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yes Willow but what's worse than that he most likely end up there and doing the same to us next year .....
Exactly right. I asked the same question at the game. Do we really want Dufty ripping us a new one when he plays against us?
Thanks.

The Mole isn't a great source. @The calm one 's owl is more on the money.

But if the quotes are correct, the Dragons official is the one who should be shown the door.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Agree...BUT he hasn't been able to do this against top 4 sides on a consistent basis....Rocks and diamonds....Let me put forward this imaginary scenario...If the coaching staff have given him "X amount of time " to fix his defense and other issues and they are not happy with the progress, then so be it....

He has been in the top grade for 5 years....arguably the former coach wouldn't have helped his progress...Flanno worked miracles last year ...

Griffin is known for bringing through juniors.... I reckon Sloan has been earmarked for the position and dufty may possibly want a long term deal....

Personally I hate losing promising local juniors and it will be sad to see him in an opposition jumper, but it is what it is....
Why is there this focus on trying to 'fix' Dufty's defence? Lockyer was an ordinary defender but Bennett built a team around him.

Not having a go, just asking.

Everytime I see a try scored through the backline I check out what was happening closer to the ruck.

We have forwards, they decide who will win on the day. The backs decide by how much.

ALSGI

Bench
And the ones who are better than him are all locked up. So we replace a try scoring whiz with who one of the blokes out of contract that he is much better than anyway. Think someone is playing poker hope they don't end up clutching at air when Duff dashes through the backdoor.
Yes it’s looking like a very public game of poker and his Manager Clinton S is doing well trying to earn his cut out of a bigger contract than it seems Dragons are wanting to pay. Clinton certainly has everyone talking about Dufty and let’s be honest Dufty’s performances has everything to do with the current talk and hype too.

Always been a big Duffman fan and for me losing him would be up there with BMoz, M. Gasnier, Mundine, Tallis, M. O’Connor and S. Edge.

Hope to see Duff the Magic Dragon signed on a new contract very soon (with us), perhaps with some ‘play like you did the other night and we’ll pay you a huge bonus’ clause or two?

I hate to be negative and I’m not saying we extend Dufty at any cost but if we lose him and re-sign the likes of Norman - I’m out.

Illusion

Bench

Mate none of the team have been good top 4 sides , Duff did against Parr as did the whole team .... So when your forwards are struggling to make ground any fullback will struggle ......

Illusion

Bench
Why is there this focus on trying to 'fix' Dufty's defence? Lockyer was an ordinary defender but Bennett built a team around him.

Everytime I see a try scored through the backline I check out what was happening closer to the ruck.

We have forwards, they decide who will win on the day. The backs decide by how much.
Right on Willow , Hook and Co will have egg on their face with this one ....

Crush

Coach
Yes it’s looking like a very public game of poker and his Manager Clinton S is doing well trying to earn his cut out of a bigger contract than it seems Dragons are wanting to pay. Clinton certainly has everyone talking about Dufty and let’s be honest Dufty’s performances has everything to do with the current talk and hype too.

Always been a big Duffman fan and for me losing him would be up there with BMoz, M. Gasnier, Mundine, Tallis, M. O’Connor and S. Edge.

Hope to see Duff the Magic Dragon signed on a new contract very soon (with us), perhaps with some ‘play like you did the other night and we’ll pay you a huge bonus’ clause or two?

I hate to be negative and I’m not saying we extend Dufty at any cost but if we lose him and re-sign the likes of Norman - I’m out.
Shame, the forum won’t be the same without you, I have a bad feeling about Norman.

boardlumps62

Juniors
I think it all has to do with the fact that 2 of our back 3 are too small. Sometimes i feel sorry for Rava trying to get our sets started on a kick return.
It doesn't matter how good u are at attacking in the red zone if we can't get past our 30m after 5 tackles.
That's a good point you raise but yes it has been said about him getting rag dolled over the tryline just like Ramsey. Stronger runners from the back are needed when we are under pressure. Maybe that's what Hooks wants defend and attack from tryline. Don't worry we can't score tries down the other end. That's why we are middle of the ladder team.

Dragon David

First Grade

I'm with you ALSGI. Attitude or not. I like his attitude though. I'd rather see him score tries for us than for any other team. Just imagine this scenario and headlines - "The Broncos have beaten the Dragons buy a whopping 30 points due to the magic of Matt Dufty the flying fullback".

getsmarty

Immortal

You would have to ask the coaching staff.... even the former staff pointed this out...personally I think it has more to do with reading the play in defense and the lack of desperation shown...at times dufty looks like he is just jogging back in defense....almost the exact opposite of what we saw with the try before halftime where he showed incredible desperation to get the ball down ahead of Issako....

Never seems to show this in defense...anyway , just my observation...what would I know...Lol

Dragsters

First Grade
Well our disastrous Board remains unchanged, unrepentant & unambiguously full of arseholes

... and Duff & his management have justifiably no doubt called them such.

Entrenched buffoons with unchallenged egos have ruined many a Club around the world.

Time to act yet again Webby

... or they’ll throw you under the bus soon enough.

The official alluded to must be the anti-Duff cheerleader

... and it’s not a difficult guess IMO

Fan & player power needs harnessing.
Where are you Benny?

...time for some leaks from the inside too

Name the bastard

Where’s a decent journo when u need them FFS?

Whenever I hear "senior dragons official" I automatically think of that classic 70's cartoon Fat Albert.

Hey, hey, hey,

Re-sign Dufty​

9,115 have signed.

getsmarty

Immortal
Mate none of the team have been good top 4 sides , Duff did against Parr as did the whole team .... So when your forwards are struggling to make ground any fullback will struggle ......

Again...he has had 5 years to develop in the top grade...in Attack...Improved...defense...unfortunately not the case....Can you point to a time over the last 5 years where Dufty has won us a game against a top 4 side more than once...eg The Storm/Panthers etc....when he does score against these sides, it inevitably gets cancelled out because he will also cost us a try or more in defense.

Don't get me wrong...I have loved watching him play in the red V and it is sad to see him go...But..and the big but is, there is obviously something the coaching staff knows that we don't. We can go around in circles, but he is on the way out and that's that.

Personally I wish him all the best and thank him for all the great tries and excitement he has bought to many fans....its now time to move on...

Dragsters

First Grade
Again...he has had 5 years to develop in the top grade...in Attack...Improved...defense...unfortunately not the case....Can you point to a time over the last 5 years where Dufty has won us a game against a top 4 side more than once...eg The Storm/Panthers etc....when he does score against these sides, it inevitably gets cancelled out because he will also cost us a try or more in defense.

Don't get me wrong...I have loved watching him play in the red V and it is sad to see him go...But..and the big but is, there is obviously something the coaching staff knows that we don't. We can go around in circles, but he is on the way out and that's that.

Personally I wish him all the best and thank him for all the great tries and excitement he has bought to many fans....its now time to move on...

Fair enough GS, but I'm not sure you can count the first four and a half years under the peanut.

There's no denying that Dufty has improved leaps and bounds since Mcfail was punted...

Illusion

Bench

Well mate time will tell if Hook has made the right call .... If he is waitng for Ramsay or Sloan to be better in defence maybe but they won't have the attacking flair of Duff that I know for sure ..... Its all good to have a good debate on this and I as always respect everyones opinion even if I don't agree ..... Time will tell ....

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Soon as he makes a defensive error the knives are out .... but when he scores or sets up play most don't say much the moment an error is made they pounce ..... when the rest of the team is leaking point he makes an error its Duffs fault .....
That is this forum in a nutshell for pretty much every player that has ever played for us.