What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Interesting debate this try by Holmes and what Dufty did, or didn't do, or should have done.

Facts are:
Att 32.55 on the clock, Dufty was defending in the line after Holmes has "nearly" scored. Why was he defending on the line was because Macca was left on the ground behind the play. Basically filling his position. The other marker defender was Norman. Curiously, Robson at dummy half chose to go left when he had a 4 on 3 on the right.
At 32.54 McClean runs and stops in the line effectively creating a shepherd on Dufty and the other defender which was Merrin
At 32.53 Jensen is tackled low by Merrin and Dufty assists over the top, Faama also comes in but is ineffective as he is side on to the play. Jensen flicks the ball out the back.
At 32.52 Ball is out the back, Faama accidently places his hand on Dufty delaying him moving to the right.
At 32.51 The loose ball is gathered by Holmes moving to his left. Dufty hasn't followed the ball
At 32.50 Holmes runs behind Morgan with Alvaro and Faama blocking Dufty's view of the play. Actually at this point Alvaro appeals for a shepherd.
At 32.49 Holmes beats Alvaro, Dufty is moving forward not sideways following Holmes
At 32.48 Holmes has past Alvaro and Kerr, Dufty hads begun moving to his right, but Holmes already in the clear and grubbers the ball. Holmes at full speed.
At 32.47 Holmes scores the try.

Was Dufty at fault? Circumstances could lead to the conclusion of no, with Macca out of the defensive line, missed tackles by both Alvaro and Kerr, some indiscreet shepherding and some blocking by our own players. However, Dufty didn't follow the play and basically watched Holmes gather and run, had he followed then the try may have been more difficult to score, or not scored at all.

For me this is a 50/50 as their were opportunities by other players to shut Holmes down, however, Dufty didn't show enough "urgency" to get across in anticipation.

LINESPEED

Juniors
This! Not sure how you can't see this Muzby, He had ample time to cover after the tackle and was completely out of position. Then just jogs. I love the Duff, He's an attacking beast but his fullback positional play is the worst in the league. He just gets lazy and doesn't seem to care. It's infurating to me.

I like the kid too, but as Cody will eventually be tried at fullback, so too should Duff be given a crack at 6,

where his speed & improved passing would sharpen our attack, & put the defence in two minds
- especially in the 30m zone

Some of his best plays have come from the virtual 6 position inside the 30m anyway

At 6 he’d be much closer to the general action
- especially the offloads from our revitalised forwards
& mini breaks by Hunt

And there’d be less angst about:
Bombs
Sidelines
Ingoals
Size
... just being the Xfactor attacking weapon he is
- &very suited to the new rules IMO

Norman is inconsistent & slow

... & a stunningly self confessed bludger as per his on-field FOX interview post game.

He tackled OK last night
.... as one suspects his future with Hook’s expectations was on the line.

Our packs’ remarkable performance meant there was much reduced pressure on Norman & Hunt.

We have to keep Duff.

....he’s certainly a media darling

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
For me it's the positional play and intent with Dufty.

He is constantly caught out of position and his attempts to scramble back are pathetic. The Holmes try for example, completely in no mans land and jogs like a princess while Holmes strolls over. f**k, even Hunt got to Holmes before Duff and he had more ground to cover.

He also needs to run the ball back with more fire. I get that he's small, but that's exactly why he needs to hit it back hard. Paps is a very similar build and doesn't seem to have an issue with this.
If he's afraid of getting hurt, he needs to find a new profession.
Agree.
I like him but it would be good if he had half the energy & smarts of Gutherson.

Spazer

Juniors
I thought Dufty was pretty solid last night.
I thought he was ok apart from the missed bomb, he made a couple of try saving tackles which was good to see since everyone criticises him on that. Quiet in attack since the game was mostly played through the middle with hunt and alvaro.

Old Timer

Coach
Interesting debate this try by Holmes and what Dufty did, or didn't do, or should have done.

Facts are:
Att 32.55 on the clock, Dufty was defending in the line after Holmes has "nearly" scored. Why was he defending on the line was because Macca was left on the ground behind the play. Basically filling his position. The other marker defender was Norman. Curiously, Robson at dummy half chose to go left when he had a 4 on 3 on the right.
At 32.54 McClean runs and stops in the line effectively creating a shepherd on Dufty and the other defender which was Merrin
At 32.53 Jensen is tackled low by Merrin and Dufty assists over the top, Faama also comes in but is ineffective as he is side on to the play. Jensen flicks the ball out the back.
At 32.52 Ball is out the back, Faama accidently places his hand on Dufty delaying him moving to the right.
At 32.51 The loose ball is gathered by Holmes moving to his left. Dufty hasn't followed the ball
At 32.50 Holmes runs behind Morgan with Alvaro and Faama blocking Dufty's view of the play. Actually at this point Alvaro appeals for a shepherd.
At 32.49 Holmes beats Alvaro, Dufty is moving forward not sideways following Holmes
At 32.48 Holmes has past Alvaro and Kerr, Dufty hads begun moving to his right, but Holmes already in the clear and grubbers the ball. Holmes at full speed.

Was Dufty at fault? Circumstances could lead to the conclusion of no, with Macca out of the defensive line, missed tackles by both Alvaro and Kerr, some indiscreet shepherding and some blocking by our own players. However, Dufty didn't follow the play and basically watched Holmes gather and run, had he followed then the try may have been more difficult to score, or not scored at all.

For me this is a 50/50 as their were opportunities by other players to shut Holmes down, however, Dufty didn't show enough "urgency" to get across in anticipation.
I was watching that all very closely and said at the time I would have definitely penalised them for the deliberate shepherd which threw our defence into disarray.

As you correctly point out it was the lack of urgency, street smarts, willingness to remain in the play that makes Dufty's contribution in that particular passage questionable.

Gutho / Saleter would have been like a pin ball bouncing off everything in an all out effort to do something which is what I would like to see Dufty do.

Far too often he looks like a rabbit in the headlights and all the while looking at someone else as if it is there fault which in fact they may have contributed to the try being let in but he must question his own effort / choices before that of others.

BLM01

First Grade
Thank heavens Dufty saved us from twelve nil down when he held up the cow centre and pushed the ball back. Also still waiting for Granville to ground the ball after Dufty got his arm under and lifted it back. Favourably call to the cows.
Agree, inconclusive try on what we saw as they went with surprisingly for once the normal speed close touch line side look and said that will do.
I am happy with that being a try and the bunker applying some commonsense looking at normal speed and having "thats good enough" attitude each time..but they wont.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Yes indeed they must and especially your posts which at times border on ludicrous.
Ludicrous like how you say bench players play the full 80mins?

But anyway, did we lose last night?

Everyone in here is bitching about Dufty again..

blacksafake

First Grade
Thank heavens Dufty saved us from twelve nil down when he held up the cow centre and pushed the ball back. Also still waiting for Granville to ground the ball after Dufty got his arm under and lifted it back. Favourably call to the cows.
What about Alexander’s comment on the Glanville try, “I can’t see the ball on the ground but I’ll just have to assume it is”
WTF, If it was the dragons he’d be saying you can’t see it touch the ground so you can’t give it.

possm

Coach
I thought he was ok apart from the missed bomb, he made a couple of try saving tackles which was good to see since everyone criticises him on that. Quiet in attack since the game was mostly played through the middle with hunt and alvaro.
Dufty's poor positional play plus his reluctance to get involved in anything where he might have to put his body on the line is an ongoing problem. This should have been a game where Dufty would shine stepping and striding up the middle among tired opposition forwards.

watatank

Coach
What about Alexander’s comment on the Glanville try, “I can’t see the ball on the ground but I’ll just have to assume it is”
WTF, If it was the dragons he’d be saying you can’t see it touch the ground so you can’t give it.

The on field refs already called it as a try, I think it was more that there was no evidence to overturn that decision

Saint Pedro

Juniors
Ludicrous like how you say bench players play the full 80mins?

But anyway, did we lose last night?

Everyone in here is bitching about Dufty again..
You’ve got a fair point Muz, but fans are whinging about our fullback because they want more from him. I can’t see Tedesco, Mitchell and Brimson getting flak, even the cowboys fullback , Drinkwarer, went hard. A little bit of kamikaze, not so much tinker bell. Look if dufty went all out nuts a bit, like Karmichael hunt and Lachlan Coote, people wouldn’t be having the bitch.

possm

Coach
You’ve got a fair point Muz, but fans are whinging about our fullback because they want more from him. I can’t see Tedesco, Mitchell and Brimson getting flak, even the cowboys fullback , Drinkwarer, went hard. A little bit of kamikaze, not so much tinker bell. Look if dufty went all out nuts a bit, like Karmichael hunt and Lachlan Coote, people wouldn’t be having the bitch.
The problem it is not just the last two rounds this season, it is the last few seasons. Dufty just does not want the collisions and is frightened when the opposition are competing for the high ball with him.

This is why he should be shifted to 6 to see how he goes before the club shifts him out completely. Mind you, we have enough depth at 6 even when Norman moves on.

Dufty will have the first grade experience, the speed, elusiveness and passing game to make a good go at playing in the five-eighth position. He also has a good coaching staff who could organise things to limit his exposure in defence.

Yes Dufty would have to be busy all game and be prepared to tackle players in combination with others. But I cannot see him holding down the fullback job at the Dragons for much longer and so this is a chance he should embrace.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Facts are:

Agree- but this is not an isolated example- there are numerous other situations like this over the years where Dufty was a couple of metres away but was slow to react and arrived too late to prevent or at least make the try more difficult to score. He can be a matchwinner in attack- we all know that- but reading the play, anticipation, being in the right place at the right time, organising the defensive line accordingly just isn't a strength for him and, in combination with his lack of bulk and strength, continuing high ball vulnerability and defensive weakness, makes him a liability at the back.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Mo

More bullshit it’s amazing how much you come up with
Don’t back away from your comments now that you realise how silly there were..

Own them like a badge of pride!

And I’d appreciate it if you give a shout out to Larry & Curly next time..

The Duf is an amazing attacking weapon

He lacks the ability to consistently catch the high ball and his positional play is below average.

Is it a lack of concentration or is he just slow to react?

Lacked urgency in getting back into position on one of the tries but it may be that he was struggling in the hot and humid conditions.

He needs to improve markedly in those two areas ASAP to earn a new contract.

Ramsey is a better defender and appears solid under the high ball. Being taller probably helps Ramsey in that area.

Both guys have blistering speed.

If Ramsey fills out and maintains his speed he will eventually play full back.