What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Old Timer

Coach
Hopefully muzby & Dufty were both watching Tedesco yesterday.

Then when we talk about what the best FB’s do and their level of involvement and commitment they will understand what we would like Dufty to actually improve at.

The good / best sides rack of lots of points because their best attacking players don't drift in and out of matches they are always looking to take advantage of or create the next opportunity.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Hopefully muzby & Dufty were both watching Tedesco yesterday.

Then when we talk about what the best FB’s do and their level of involvement and commitment they will understand what we would like Dufty to actually improve at.

The good / best sides rack of lots of points because their best attacking players don't drift in and out of matches they are always looking to take advantage of or create the next opportunity.
Thanks OT..

I’ll try make sure I stay in the game this weekend & score as many tries as possible.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
True. I think Turbo has earned his spot back whilst still injured and will do a better job on one leg.
I will be very surprised if he is in fact playing fullback this week..but happy if he is.
I’m hoping he is..

Can’t see who else they’d put there anyway..

Actually maybe Garrick..

Which would be even better..

blacksafake

First Grade
The ball is definitely in his court.
He now has a coach who knows what he’s doing & by all reports, not afraid to tell a player when he’s not performing.
If it’s attitude I’ve no doubt Hook will deal with it before it gets out of hand.
FTR, I’m happy to persist with him until such time as he’s not improving. How long that is I’ll leave up to Hook.

possm

Coach
The ball is definitely in his court.
He now has a coach who knows what he’s doing & by all reports, not afraid to tell a player when he’s not performing.
If it’s attitude I’ve no doubt Hook will deal with it before it gets out of hand.
FTR, I’m happy to persist with him until such time as he’s not improving. How long that is I’ll leave up to Hook.
Well these issues are not new, they have been with Dufty for a few years now. In the past Dufty has been shielded because he was seen as a new young kid in development. Then under Mary there seemed to be no alternative fullback available to do the job.

Now the only alternative (Ramsey), is still finding his way on the wing in first grade. Yes he is doing a good job but the question is, would he do a better job than Dufty?

So Griffin needs to ask himself, is it better to persist with Dufty making a few errors each game or is it better to move Ramsey to fullback and expect him to also make a few errors in the early stages?

For me I see no advantage in keeping Dufty at fullback because sooner or later he will be moved to fullback and face the prospect of making some mistakes in his first few games.

dragon thomo

Juniors
I dont think Dufty will be fullback by the end of the season. Ramsey should be our fullback, although i have not seen much of Sloane as they say he can play.
I would pick either of them over Dufty as i have said before he is shaky under the high ball and does not like inpact.

kit66

Bench
I dont think Dufty will be fullback by the end of the season. Ramsey should be our fullback, although i have not seen much of Sloane as they say he can play.
I would pick either of them over Dufty as i have said before he is shaky under the high ball and does not like inpact.

Is Sloan injured ? I think Siti Moceidreke has been playing fullback in reggies. And what's Siti's story, he's 26 but I never heard of him until the February ?

If Dufty loses his spot to Cody it'll be his own fault and he can't say he wasn't given ample opportunity to make the 1 jersey his alone.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Is Sloan injured ? I think Siti Moceidreke has been playing fullback in reggies. And what's Siti's story, he's 26 but I never heard of him until the February ?

If Dufty loses his spot to Cody it'll be his own fault and he can't say he wasn't given ample opportunity to make the 1 jersey his alone.

Yes he is, George Dragon said about 6 weeks if I remember rightly.

Siti is only on a reggies contract I believe, he's been around a bit, Dragons SG Ball then NYC, North Sydney Bears and signed to the Bunnies playing 1 game with them. Then signed by Mounties and a T&T contract with the Raiders. Then signed by the Sunshine Coast Falcons and played in the Perth Nines for the Storm, and now rejoins us.

FlameThrower

Bench
I don’t agree we need to all have a carbon copy of Tedesco as the prototype for modern Fullbacks. Tedesco is an athlete first, then has immense insight and great game positioning. His size and speed are a bonus.
There have been heaps of smaller body fullbacks, Slayter, Bowen, Campbell, they all had instincts and great skills - Dufty has great speed, a great passing game, but lacks positioning , kick returns are weak and is suss under the highball. He has Hook now to sort those issues out, but we can’t compare him to Tedesco. He would be a great loss just on his try scoring ability, and I’m sure under another quality coach he could be a great fullback.
He should be looking at old Slayter , Bowen tapes to see how they positioned themselves. Practice kick returns and catching highballs every day.....

Dragon David

First Grade
I don’t agree we need to all have a carbon copy of Tedesco as the prototype for modern Fullbacks. Tedesco is an athlete first, then has immense insight and great game positioning. His size and speed are a bonus.
There have been heaps of smaller body fullbacks, Slayter, Bowen, Campbell, they all had instincts and great skills - Dufty has great speed, a great passing game, but lacks positioning , kick returns are weak and is suss under the highball. He has Hook now to sort those issues out, but we can’t compare him to Tedesco. He would be a great loss just on his try scoring ability, and I’m sure under another quality coach he could be a great fullback.
He should be looking at old Slayter , Bowen tapes to see how they positioned themselves. Practice kick returns and catching highballs every day.....
I agree Flame Thrower. Tedesco is Teddy and Dufty is Duff and never the twain shall meet. They are completely different in so many aspects of which you highlighted, however, I just wish that Dufty gets more involved in general play more often in attack. He can be a game breaker for us but unfortunately, his weaknesses will always be part of his DNA and it is something we either live with or say c'est la vie.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I just wish that Dufty gets more involved in general play more often in attack.
He was our leading try scorer and our no1 for try assists last year..

He’s backing up play this year, creating line breaks & even has an early crow for try of the year in Rd1..

I’m really not sure how much more involved in attack he can be?

Maybe he can kick all the goals too?

possm

Coach
I don't really mind who, I would just like to have a quality fullback in our 17. Ramsey, Sloan or Schiller, it doesn't really matter to me. However, Sloan and Schiller are yet to appear in first grade. So Ramsey to fullback and Sloan to left wing would be a good start. Schiller to fullback in reserve grade.

I'm not a big fan of delaying and wasting competition points oly to repeat past history. Ramsey won't be the best fullback in the competition straight up, but by season 2022, he may just be the best option we have at the Dragons. If not, then back to the left wing he goes and time for Sloan to step up at fullback.

Last edited:

Latest posts