What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

rednwhites

Juniors
How do we end up with all these midgetesque and nuggety type players when it seems like just about every other team has huge, quick, real athletic type backs? Is it a fetish of Mary's?

All year I expected us to be talking about our backs as our achilles heel come finals time but turns out our forwards are just as poor.

Gm5

Juniors
How do we end up with all these midgetesque and nuggety type players when it seems like just about every other team has huge, quick, real athletic type backs? Is it a fetish of Mary's?

All year I expected us to be talking about our backs as our achilles heel come finals time but turns out our forwards are just as poor.

Trying to find the next Billy Slater

JDHD

Juniors
Obviously, you didn’t see Dugan’s try this arvo he scored from dummy half with THREE BLOKES on his back.

I also saw the three missed tackles, two handling errors and two ‘injuries’ he copped. That try was just a big guy barge over try, f**kin George Rose could have scored that. It was an impressive feat of strength but let’s not pretend that Ramien absolutely analing the Storm on the previous play wasn’t 90% of the work.

getsmarty

Immortal
Obviously, you didn’t see Dugan’s try this arvo he scored from dummy half with THREE BLOKES on his back.

I did,I also saw a bunch of handling errors and mistakes from a guy on 750 K...

As for that try, its a big bodied player barging over from close..J leilua leaves Dugan for dead in this area...

scores them regularly and also stays on the park...

Mark D

Juniors
Flash’s of brilliance and no doubt has the talent but his defen
Mann is rubbish, jai field to five eighth
i would like to see Field in the team my major concern is with Dufty, Hunt and Field in the team together we have 3 major liabilities in defence... Duf has to be the worst defencive FB in the game.

One of the best fullback exponents in the comp is also one of the most underrated.
Mick Gordon.
179cm 89kg
Great fullback and deadly accurate goal kicker.
Best fullback in the comp James Tedesco 174cm and 95kg.
Billy Slater. Lachlan Coote
Moses Mbye
Doesn't really support your statement here, does it?

BennyV

Referee
Hmmm, the first grade fullback is in poor form and struggling with the physical side of the game, while the ISP fullback has been in dominant form from the minute he made the move there from the his natural position in the centres...

...what to do...

...certainly is a conundrum!

Redhoopz

Juniors
It seems like he is down on confidence...

I would like to see him being more commanding from the back.. I would also like to see him go for the bombs instead of letting them bounce. It looked like there wasn't a lot of communication at the back against the Eels.

Life's Good

Coach
Were people calling for Dugans head in 2013/14 when we were repeatedly thumped(including 19-0 at Kogarah to the Panthers)?
For sure Dufty got found out in the Eels game as well as the Storm game but that’s no different to Tommy T or plenty of other FB’s this year.
I’ve no doubt his confidence is shot along with his body is now feeling the effects of his first full season. Add to that he is our random ‘go to’ player in attack because SuperCoach has quite worked out to best to use him(why not try a Storm type inside ball to Slater trick?).
Dufty is the reason we have won a few games but isn’t the sole reason for some terrible losses.
All the comparisons to Quinlan should be measured against the quality of coaching - neither have experienced it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It is probably forgotten or unknown by most that the great Ted Goodwin once had problems under the high ball. This was not long after he took over the fullback position following Graeme Langland's retirement, so he had big boots to fill. Then in early 1977 he starting catching them.

When asked by the media about this turnaround, he said previously he lacked confidence and was simply worried about dropping the ball.

Then the coach took him aside and made it clear that he didn't care if he dropped the ball, it was more important just to make the decision and damn the consequences.

Sounds straight forward... but then again that coach was Harry Bath.

possm

Coach
Jai Field yet another great white hope. He has speed but he is also a speed hump. He can't tackle at ISP level let alone NRL.

But Millward said he would be our 2018 fullback!

We need a fullback with size, speed, elusive, great defence and a good passing game. Dugan wanted 1m and settled for 750k at the Sharks. Tedesco wanted 1.2m and is contracted for 700k at the Roosters. If we were prepared to pay Dugan 750k, why didn't we offer Tedesco the same with a TPA of 300k. Apparently we got Hunt for 900k plus a 200k TPA.

And on the topic of TPA's, why not make it so that player managers are the only entity allowed to arrange them then register them with the NRL. Make the criteria based on a National Sponsorship deal and not a local club deal. Make it not coincide with the date of a new player contract by a Club, but instead mid-contract and part of a sponsor's campaign. So no matter which club the player plays for, the TPA will apply.

denis preston

First Grade
I'm not saying I want Mary as coach in 2019 after what's happened in the 2nd half of this year. If there is an option for a coach that has the goods, and not just taking 'any other' coach than I'm definitely open to it.

We may disagree a little here, but I think the physical fatigue people talk about is more a symptom of mental fatigue or weakness.

If Mary gets sacked this year I believe the players have a large responsibility of that happening due to not showing up. Now, you'll get many ppl saying 'well that's the coaches job to get them up for it'. The way Mary has spoken and the intent of focusing on standards and values inside the playing group I err on the side of thinking that he is holding his end of the bargain up and the players aren't. It takes two to dance, and many of these players are mentally not there because of xyz (reasons I mentioned in my precious post).

It's sad. And possibly there's some friction among a couple of players. Who knows. Probably not, but it's possible.

If players being mentally right was all on the coach than Mary was God for the first part of this year. The Storm game at Kogarah was a perfect example. You'd think he would know how to get the boys up mentally these days if that was the case, but truth is is that the players need to hold their end too. They were earlier this year. Now they're down on confidence and in a momentum... Momentum goes both ways, good and bad. We're in the bad momentum right now.

Paul green is a premiership winning coach. The crap the cowboys players have dished up this year not even a premiership coach can fix... I'm sure green is holding up his end up, the players aren't.

The players we have are generally mentally weak...except a few. One of those, Graham, showed almighty heart last night.

But 3 tries against us last week when dufty gets sinbinned, and then last night sinbinned too equals a try and a lot of tiredness due to defence.... That bs is out of a coaches hand

And don't get me started on our backs letting bombs go and not attempting to catch them. ..the stinks of confidence troubles, playing not to lose, attitude issues, and cracking under high pressure moments. Those moments are a reflection of the greater whole though: the team as a whole is struggling confidence wise.

Thats fine Ozbuck but if we go with your reasoning here why hasn't Mary dropped these players ?

I’m not sure I’m getting the attacks on the only truely attacking player we have in our backline?
He can learn, with decent coaching mind you, to defend.
You can’t teach speed and elusiveness.

Chappells

Juniors
I have changed the topic but still related to Dufty

Updated at 7:53 p.m. ET

NRL Leaks is back with all the latest word on player movement, recruitment whiffs and inspiring performances.

MATT DUFTY’S ASKING PRICE A BIT RICH
Matt Dufty's future at St George-Illawarra isn't as rosy as most would believe.

Contracted until the end of 2019, the Dragons attempted to start the process of extending Dufty's contract.

However, the young fullback's asking price is far beyond what the club is willing to pay.

Dufty's asking price also reflects a fullback who boasts a passing and kicking game - none of which he currently has in his arsenal.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

NRL Leaks is back with all the latest word on player movement, recruitment whiffs and inspiring performances.

Contracted until the end of 2019, the Dragons attempted to start the process of extending Dufty's contract.

However, the young fullback's asking price is far beyond what the club is willing to pay.

Dufty's asking price also reflects a fullback who boasts a passing and kicking game - none of which he currently has in his arsenal.

Poor defence and allowing the ball to bounce is also in Dufty’s “arsenal”.

Good thing Saints let Dugan go!

rednwhites

Juniors
pvc-toilet-doors-500x500.jpg
There it is Matt...

Probably not the best time for him to be negotiating his future.
Catch a high ball and learn to tackle and pass, and then maybe talk about big money.

Bevan French still available?

Dragons4me

Juniors

Interesting.
Probably right by not having a kicking game but he sure does have a passing game..

Latest posts