What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Munky

Coach
As a non Dragons fan Dufty is such an intriguing player to watch.

The things he does well/talents are probably in the top five of the competition. His acceleration and speed are elite and probably has the best cut out pass in the league.

The fact he doesn't appear to be getting better at fullback after years in top grade is baffling.

Does he just lack the ability to play the basics of position at a first grade level or is it bad coaching to date? Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Brown ditch Soward for Ben Rogers for the finals the year before Bennett took over?

Maybe Dufty just needs a good coach who can bring the rest of his play upto standard while not removing the parts of his game that can blow a match open.

Illusion

Bench

The things he does well/talents are probably in the top five of the competition. His acceleration and speed are elite and probably has the best cut out pass in the league.

The fact he doesn't appear to be getting better at fullback after years in top grade is baffling.

Does he just lack the ability to play the basics of position at a first grade level or is it bad coaching to date? Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Brown ditch Soward for Ben Rogers for the finals the year before Bennett took over?

Maybe Dufty just needs a good coach who can bring the rest of his play upto standard while not removing the parts of his game that can blow a match open.
For me he needs to be more agressive with everything else he does when he is not attacking .... He just goes through the motions without any real authority when he is bringing the ball back , catching the high ball , making a tackle ..... He needs to be doing the extra bits with the intent that he is is going to bust the line , going to catch the high ball , going to make the tackle ..... Otherwise he isn't going to improve .... Just my take on him ....

Pro Dragons

Juniors

I think he has played some of his best games under Hook. If he can under Hook cut down his overall errors and find a way to stop being ragged dolled in kick returns he could be anything.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

Hopefully Hook can, it’s just unfortunate he come through those important formative years under Mary. He’s one of the best fullbacks in the comp in the red zone maybe top 3 but from the halfway line back he’d be lucky to be top ten. He is 25 though and time waits for no man.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons fullback facing unclear future
“Right now it feels like it’s a 50/50 scenario.”

By
Jake Benoiton
-
STAFF WRITER
April 21, 2021

GettyImages-1003012556-696x547.jpg

TOWNSVILLE, AUSTRALIA - JULY 21: Matt Dufty of the Dragons makes a break which lead to him scoring a try during the round 19 NRL match between the North Queensland Cowboys and the St George Illawarra Dragons at 1300SMILES Stadium on July 21, 2018 in Townsville, Australia. (Photo by Ian Hitchcock/Getty Images)

St George Illawarra fullback Matt Dufty says his future at the Dragons is unknown and believes he is a “50-50” chance to be at the club next season.

The off-contract incumbent faces an uncertain future at Kogarah for the first time since signing an extension with the Red V in 2019 – a deal that followed just 12 months after he one prior.

Now facing another season unsigned, the 25-year-old has admitted there is a high level of unpredictability as the 2021 season progresses.

Speaking to the Sydney Morning Herald, Dufty said his manager was handling things at the moment but said he doesn’t know where his future lies at this point.

“There are some things in the works, my manager is talking to a few other clubs, so we’ll see what happens,” he said.

“Right now it feels like it’s a 50/50 scenario [whether I stay here].

“I’d love to be at the Dragons, it feels like we’re building something really good here with the people we have and the squad we’re building.

“If you look at all the other teams’ fullbacks, they have a decent fullback there – so if I want to play fullback, the Dragons are my best option.

GettyImages-1003024092-696x540.jpg

TOWNSVILLE, AUSTRALIA – JULY 21: Matt Dufty of the Dragons runs the ball during the round 19 NRL match between the North Queensland Cowboys and the St George Illawarra Dragons at 1300SMILES Stadium on July 21, 2018 in Townsville, Australia. (Photo by Ian Hitchcock/Getty Images)
“I love playing there, it’s my main position. Last year and this year I feel like I’m starting to cement myself as a fullback in the NRL.″⁣

Dufty admitted that the angst of waiting to find out whether the Dragons want him next season or whether he should look elsewhere wasn’t easy to deal wit.

“With every week that goes by, it gets a bit more stressful.”

Dufty is not the only Dragon without a deal beyond 2021 with star Corey Norman also without a contract.

However, Norman is far more relaxed about the potential of a new deal.

“There are plenty of spots up for grabs and with clubs needing halves. I’ll worry about it when I need to,” Norman said.

“Whatever will be will be. And I trust I’ll play good enough footy to get a contract. I’m backing myself.

England is too cold for me. It depends, if I don’t get a club here I might have to look over there. But that’s not where I want to be at at the minute. I’ll worry about it when the time comes.″⁣

Other senior figures Kaide Ellis, Tyrell Fuimaono, Jordan Pereira and Brayden Wiliame are also yet to commit to the Dragons past the 2021 season.
Veteran forward Trent Merrin announced his immediate retirement on Wednesday following a 253-game first class career.

https://www.zerotackle.com/dragons-fullback-facing-unclear-future-nrl-103451/

thebigredv

First Grade
He scores 3 tries against roosters, holds the ball and makes most of his tackles and all of a sudden we all will be demanding his signature. That's how funny this kind of thing is.

These are the kind of games we need our match winners to bring home the bacon.

Realistically the above scenario wont take place. Tough calls need to be made and I believe Hook will see to it. Love Dufty and his talent is sure to see him find a home elsewhere, but there are players that can better meet our needs.

And swapping fullbacks is just the start...

In the near future we also need recruitment in at least 4 of the 5 following positions:

Fullback
Halves
Hooker
Second row/lock
Prop forward

possm

Coach
My view is that Dufty has been give a real good go to make the fullback spot his own and has failed to do this. The question now is do we offer him a bench spot or let him go to another club.

My view is that Dufty has been give a real good go to make the fullback spot his own and has failed to do this. The question now is do we offer him a bench spot or let him go to another club.
Personally, I have never liked the flyweight bench player. Kurt Mann was the ultimate because he can get physical as well as having all the skills.

I think Hook summarised the situation perfectly.

Matt’s attacking ability is unquestionable.

His positional play, defence and consistency under the high ball and clearing short kicks are the problem.

Matt has been good under the high ball lately.

He is running out of time to convince the coaching staff that he is the answer at fullback.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Personally, I have never liked the flyweight bench player. Kurt Mann was the ultimate because he can get physical as well as having all the skills.
That’s why I would love either Fuimaono, Ford or Burns on the bench. In the event of an injury they can move to centre and shuffle the team around a bit. If no injuries were to occur they can add some impact late.

Crush

Coach
Kurt Mann is a decent footballer.
But let’s be honest, he’s just a regular first grader at best and wouldn’t be earning more than 400k

Inisai Toga

Juniors
It’s just difficult to see what his line of thinking was. I always thought it was a good recruitment at the time but he played him once at Fullback and had an unhappy experience against Cronulla and seemed reluctant to use him. Anyway History lesson now.

Last edited: