What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

BLM01

First Grade
DRAGONS STAR ON THE OUTER AS HISTORY REPEATS

The Matt Dufty contract situation at St George Illawarra is starting to look eerily similar to the Cameron McInnes contract scenario at the Red V from earlier in the year.

The Dragons tap danced around the McInnes situation for as long as possible by stipulating they didn’t want to make an offer that would “insult” their skipper.

In reality they wanted to make a play to bring Andrew McCullough to the club as the first choice hooker and McInnes was politely squeezed out.

The end result was McInnes joined the Cronulla Sharks on a four-year contract starting in October this year.

Back to Dufty. The Dragons fullback reiterated earlier this week he thinks he’s only a 50/50 proposition of remaining in the Red V beyond this year.

Which considering he’s scored six tries in the opening six games along with making six line breaks, four try-assists and four line break assists is an intriguing ploy.

But clearly the Red V new coach Anthony Griffin believes Dufty is still very much a work-in-progress.

The Dragons also showed their hand in February when they re-signed Cody Ramsey to a three-year deal until the end of 2024.

When Griffin was asked about Dufty after the Dragons upstaged the Eels in round five, these were his words: “He’s a good kid, he’s been improving.

“He needs to keep learning the fine art of playing fullback in tight football games like tonight.

“He needs to keep improving to unlock his potential. He’s great with the ball but he’s still learning the finer arts of mastering his craft.”

The case in point was when Dufty failed to ground the ball in-goal against the Warriors in round six and Paul Turner raced through and scored.

With the Warriors leading 6-4 and 25 minutes gone, Dufty needed to make the play.

A game-breaking performance against the Roosters at the SCG on Anzac Day will put Dufty firmly in the shop front window for rival NRL clubs.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/c8221f4a5bf724db4848db51fe585a6b
I will bring my crystal ball out
He will improve but his shop price tag won’t go up based on the Anzac Day game
I reckon Dragons will be beaten something like 34-10
We will lose a player in the bin and have 3 on report
We will score the 1st try
See how my predictions go :wink:

SBD82

Coach
DRAGONS STAR ON THE OUTER AS HISTORY REPEATS

The Matt Dufty contract situation at St George Illawarra is starting to look eerily similar to the Cameron McInnes contract scenario at the Red V from earlier in the year.

The Dragons tap danced around the McInnes situation for as long as possible by stipulating they didn’t want to make an offer that would “insult” their skipper.

In reality they wanted to make a play to bring Andrew McCullough to the club as the first choice hooker and McInnes was politely squeezed out.

The end result was McInnes joined the Cronulla Sharks on a four-year contract starting in October this year.

Back to Dufty. The Dragons fullback reiterated earlier this week he thinks he’s only a 50/50 proposition of remaining in the Red V beyond this year.

Which considering he’s scored six tries in the opening six games along with making six line breaks, four try-assists and four line break assists is an intriguing ploy.

But clearly the Red V new coach Anthony Griffin believes Dufty is still very much a work-in-progress.

The Dragons also showed their hand in February when they re-signed Cody Ramsey to a three-year deal until the end of 2024.

When Griffin was asked about Dufty after the Dragons upstaged the Eels in round five, these were his words: “He’s a good kid, he’s been improving.

“He needs to keep learning the fine art of playing fullback in tight football games like tonight.

“He needs to keep improving to unlock his potential. He’s great with the ball but he’s still learning the finer arts of mastering his craft.”

The case in point was when Dufty failed to ground the ball in-goal against the Warriors in round six and Paul Turner raced through and scored.

With the Warriors leading 6-4 and 25 minutes gone, Dufty needed to make the play.

A game-breaking performance against the Roosters at the SCG on Anzac Day will put Dufty firmly in the shop front window for rival NRL clubs.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/c8221f4a5bf724db4848db51fe585a6b
That’s some serious rewriting of history to suit a narrative.

McInnes agreed to terms with the Sharks in December.

thebigredv

First Grade
Two great tackles today did not go unnoticed. And that's where the positives end. It's sad in itself that I thought we'd see the best of him and Norman with contracts to play for but neither seems to even want to play to their potential.

I remember the hype around Dufty before he hit first grade...was exciting, but I feel a better coach and club could have brought more out of him and motivated him more as well. Can't just blame him, I think he has developed his game but the bottom line is he has completely gone missing in the last three games.

A shame.

hewi

Bench
Yes, two great tackles but otherwise missing in action. Was it also two bounced bombs, offered nothing in attack and I’m sorry to say not worth a new contract.

thebigredv

First Grade
Credit to Matt for getting involved in Sunday. His elusiveness and speed was on show often and he'd be happy with his game. A few of his teammates would do well to follow him on his little jaunts. Not sure why he seems to go missing in other games though. Looks in charge against a team like the Dogs hopefully can have the same impact this week.

Was bagging last week so prepared to give him a cautious wrap this week.

Wonder what Hook is thinking for fullback/5/ next season...

j0nesy

Bench
I love him as a player, sure he has his flaws but I think he’s improving under Griffin. I’d sign him for another couple of years and see how Sloan, Ramsey and Feagai develop. But gut tells me he won’t be re-resigned and Hook will go with one of the young blokes at fullback next year.

possm

Coach
Credit to Matt for getting involved in Sunday. His elusiveness and speed was on show often and he'd be happy with his game. A few of his teammates would do well to follow him on his little jaunts. Not sure why he seems to go missing in other games though. Looks in charge against a team like the Dogs hopefully can have the same impact this week.

Was bagging last week so prepared to give him a cautious wrap this week.

Wonder what Hook is thinking for fullback/5/ next season...
To me ,it confirmed that Dufty is not a fullback but could be a very dangerous weapon off the bench at a time when the opposition forwards are fatigued.

Illusion

Bench
To me ,it confirmed that Dufty is not a fullback but could be a very dangerous weapon off the bench at a time when the opposition forwards are fatigued.
For me possm , every time there is a try scored Dufty is involved ..... Take him out of the team even with his faults nothing happens ...... Attacking players like him don't come around often , so as you say if not at fullback then he needs to be in the team somewhere coming off the bench is ok also .....

possm

Coach
For me possm , every time there is a try scored Dufty is involved ..... Take him out of the team even with his faults nothing happens ...... Attacking players like him don't come around often , so as you say if not at fullback then he needs to be in the team somewhere coming off the bench is ok also .....
I'm not sure about that. Take Dufty out and put a marquee fullback in and there would be little difference in attack and a much better result in defence and positional play. In fact Dufty's passes to his wingers should be what Norman and Hunt do. Lomax and Bird are often starved of the ball as well.

Red V for life

Juniors
Mez was on NRL 360 last night and said Dufty’s development was stifled under the last coaching structure and that Hook and co are what he needs now.

When you take Hook’s consistent comments about Dufty in the media into account, I think an offer will be made, but it won’t meet Duff’s $$$ expectations.

blacksafake

First Grade
Mez was on NRL 360 last night and said Dufty’s development was stifled under the last coaching structure and that Hook and co are what he needs now.

When you take Hook’s consistent comments about Dufty in the media into account, I think an offer will be made, but it won’t meet Duff’s $$$ expectations.
Did Mez actually say that?

blacksafake

First Grade
He sure did mate. Mez was filling in for Benji last night and these comments came out in the like it/don’t like it segment.

Questioned posed to Mez was whether Dufty is our FB going forward. He said it so matter of factly too…no malice or anything.

Jammer was there too and didn’t say anything.
Thanks mate.
I’m sure there was no malice intended, just an honest statement. Anyway he’s probably only talking the truth.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Not quite everything..

September used to be a stressful time for me.. Such fear of losing games & the inevitable sadness that would come from being bundled out..

But when Mary came in, September was suddenly stress free!
Not for me, it took me the whole of September each year to calculate how many minutes we were away from a Grand Final appearance.

Last edited:
Did Mez actually say that?

Yeah he did as others mentioned above...

However I might add that it was that “like it / don’t like it” and they asked Merrin if he’s the best #1 option for the dragons moving forward...

Of course he’d say yes. And added a bit in there such as the coach comment.

As for James Graham, indeed he didn’t say anything. And while the question wasn’t directed at him - he’s said earlier this year when asked about Dufty that he’s got “supernova moments” in him but hasn’t played with the consistency everyone would like.

Personally, and just my own view, but I’ve not seen much improvement in Dufty this year. And if anything he’s dropped off from his form late last year under McGregor / Young - especially the passing game..

Yes he can be dangerous. But he has errors in him, not from trying something creative which can be understandable but simply coz he’s just not switched on.... and it’s all too often for mine. Eg in-goal against the Warriors...

I’m with James Graham on this. He’s got a fantastic highlight reel but would also have a pretty awful blooper reel if someone put it together.. He’s not a fullback I’m ever confident with. In ranking the current NRL fullbacks, he’d be in the lower half, 9-12 at best...

He’s the best we have at the moment but he’s had more than enough seasons to establish himself as our future at fullback. Hasn’t done it yet, and im not that bothered if we let him go,

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors
Yeah he did as others mentioned above...

However I might add that it was that “like it / don’t like it” and they asked Merrin if he’s the best #1 option for the dragons moving forward...

Of course he’d say yes. And added a bit in there such as the coach comment.

As for James Graham, indeed he didn’t say anything. And while the question wasn’t directed at him - he’s said earlier this year when asked about Dufty that he’s got “supernova moments” in him but hasn’t played with the consistency everyone would like.

Personally, and just my own view, but I’ve not seen much improvement in Dufty this year. And if anything he’s dropped off from his form late last year under McGregor / Young - especially the passing game..

Yes he can be dangerous. But he has errors in him, not from trying something creative which can be understandable but simply coz he’s just not switched on.... and it’s all too often for mine. Eg in-goal against the Warriors...

I’m with James Graham on this. He’s got a fantastic highlight reel but would also have a pretty awful blooper reel if someone put it together.. He’s not a fullback I’m ever confident with. In ranking the current NRL fullbacks, he’d be in the lower half, 9-12 at best...

He’s the best we have at the moment but he’s had more than enough seasons to establish himself as our future at fullback. Hasn’t done it yet, I’m im not that bothered if we let him go,
His overall game is there for everyone to see which is why no other clubs are being linked to him. I believe he’ll get a 12mth extension, I still think he’d be a great bench utility/game breaker. But he’s definitely not our long term fullback.

We’ve got some potential centre’s & wingers coming through in 2022 Sloan, Feagai x 2, Schiller plus Ramsey, Bird & Ravalawa.

Lomax would make a very good fullback, he’s got the build & the skill set ready to go.