What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

BBTB

Juniors
Dufty is done at Dragons.
He will finish out the year in the number 1 spot if his good form continues but he won’t be there next year, Hook isn’t going to just change his mind surely.
If his form slips then he’ll be quickly back to reserve grade I reckon.
I really hope Ramsay/Sloan/Schiller/Silverman work out as his replacement.
Well, I hope your wrong. Hook has to be
right or he might be
shown door in 2022.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Where will Matt Dufty be playing in 2022? Ranking the Dragons fullback's likely destinations

Liam O'Loughlin
2 hrs ago

In shock news last week, St George Illawarra Dragons fullback Matt Dufty has been told he is no longer wanted by the club, and now looks set to move on at the end of 2021.

The 25-year-old is one of the most exciting players in the competition, and has the ability to create points by himself at any stage.

Dufty possesses insane speed, crisp ball-playing and elusive footwork, making him a great pick-up for a number of rival NRL clubs.

There have always been question marks over his defence and positional play, but there is no doubt that the positives could outweigh the negatives if Dufty was in the right system.

And with the in-demand Nicho Hynes joining Cronulla and Will Kennedy also re-signing with the Sharks, Dufty's name will certainly be linked with a few clubs in the coming weeks.

We've gone ahead and ranked the most likey destinations for Dufty in 2022 below.

1. BRISBANE BRONCOS
Another club without a secure long-term fullback, Brisbane are another club reportedly interested in Dufty for next season and now appear a genuine front-runner for his services.

After missing out on their prime target in Nicho Hynes, the door is certainly open for the St George Illawarra speedster to head north and join the Broncos next year.

Jamayne Isaako has been shuffled in and out of the fullback position in recent years, but has shown glimpses of his potential at the back so far this year.

The Penshurst RSL junior would benefit from playing alongisde an elite halfback in Adam Reynolds, as well as a strong forward pack including the likes of Payne Haas and Tevita Pangai Jr.

2. CANTERBURY BULLDOGS
Definitely a club that could do with Dufty's speed and creativity, sources can reveal the club have already put some feelers out there for the fullback for next season.

Canterbury have struggled for points for many years and it hasn't changed too much in 2021 with new halves Kyle Flanagan and Jake Averillo.

The only thing potentially standing in the way would be Josh Addo-Carr, who had been rumoured to be offered the No.1 role when he moves to Belmore next year.

If we were to place a bet on where the 25-year-old lands in 2022, the Bulldogs are near the top of the list.

3. CANBERRA RAIDERS
With regular fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad sidelined with a neck injury, the Green Machine have struggled recently and Ricky Stuart could be searching for answers.

Canberra have recently lost George Williams, with the English playmaker moving home and they are now a man down in the spine long-term.

Dufty's ability to create points would surely entice the Raiders, even if it meant moving him into the halves or shuffling things around with Nicoll-Klokstad in the backline.

It may be a left-field option, but it is certainly one that could work for both parties if executed well.

4. NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS
This move was in the works for quite a while, with Dufty a potential replacement for departing fullback Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

Unfortunately for the Dragons star, the Warriors have now gone and signed Reece Walsh and he looks to be their long-term choice at the back after starring in his first five games of NRL.

They could still go after Dufty for next year and move Walsh to five-eighth - but at this stage, that looks an unlikely move.

5. GOLD COAST TITANS
Another club that had been chasing Dufty in the past, the Red V speedster remained at the club last year despite some keen interest from the Titans.

It led to a career resurgence for the fullback, who went on to lock down the Dragons' starting spot.

There is a slim chance he ends up on the Gold Coast for next year, but there's always the possibility of playing AJ Brimson in the halves and Dufty at fullback.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/new...ons-fullback-s-likely-destinations/ar-AAKlalS
It really goes to show how few options he actually has. I would imagine his management are looking for really good coin and the club has just said, if you think you are worth that go out and get it. At least we should see him at his very best for the remainder of the year.

Old Timer

Coach
Simple reality is lots of players stating where they are going next year and no announcement from Dufty's management despite the fact that he has been on the outer for some time even when Mc Fookknuckle was in charge.

It just shows he is not a high priority for other clubs.

Dragsters

First Grade
We are a spineless club if your last sentence is true.

I think you could say the same thing for just about any club.

Look at how the rabbits folded without Murray for a month, then hey presto, he's back and so are they.

Every team has one player that is critical to their continual success and we just happened to be without ours for two and a half seasons...

BLM01

First Grade
Where will Matt Dufty be playing in 2022? Ranking the Dragons fullback's likely destinations

Liam O'Loughlin
2 hrs ago

In shock news last week, St George Illawarra Dragons fullback Matt Dufty has been told he is no longer wanted by the club, and now looks set to move on at the end of 2021.

The 25-year-old is one of the most exciting players in the competition, and has the ability to create points by himself at any stage.

Dufty possesses insane speed, crisp ball-playing and elusive footwork, making him a great pick-up for a number of rival NRL clubs.

There have always been question marks over his defence and positional play, but there is no doubt that the positives could outweigh the negatives if Dufty was in the right system.

And with the in-demand Nicho Hynes joining Cronulla and Will Kennedy also re-signing with the Sharks, Dufty's name will certainly be linked with a few clubs in the coming weeks.

We've gone ahead and ranked the most likey destinations for Dufty in 2022 below.

1. BRISBANE BRONCOS
Another club without a secure long-term fullback, Brisbane are another club reportedly interested in Dufty for next season and now appear a genuine front-runner for his services.

After missing out on their prime target in Nicho Hynes, the door is certainly open for the St George Illawarra speedster to head north and join the Broncos next year.

Jamayne Isaako has been shuffled in and out of the fullback position in recent years, but has shown glimpses of his potential at the back so far this year.

The Penshurst RSL junior would benefit from playing alongisde an elite halfback in Adam Reynolds, as well as a strong forward pack including the likes of Payne Haas and Tevita Pangai Jr.

2. CANTERBURY BULLDOGS
Definitely a club that could do with Dufty's speed and creativity, sources can reveal the club have already put some feelers out there for the fullback for next season.

Canterbury have struggled for points for many years and it hasn't changed too much in 2021 with new halves Kyle Flanagan and Jake Averillo.

The only thing potentially standing in the way would be Josh Addo-Carr, who had been rumoured to be offered the No.1 role when he moves to Belmore next year.

If we were to place a bet on where the 25-year-old lands in 2022, the Bulldogs are near the top of the list.

3. CANBERRA RAIDERS
With regular fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad sidelined with a neck injury, the Green Machine have struggled recently and Ricky Stuart could be searching for answers.

Canberra have recently lost George Williams, with the English playmaker moving home and they are now a man down in the spine long-term.

Dufty's ability to create points would surely entice the Raiders, even if it meant moving him into the halves or shuffling things around with Nicoll-Klokstad in the backline.

It may be a left-field option, but it is certainly one that could work for both parties if executed well.

4. NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS
This move was in the works for quite a while, with Dufty a potential replacement for departing fullback Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

Unfortunately for the Dragons star, the Warriors have now gone and signed Reece Walsh and he looks to be their long-term choice at the back after starring in his first five games of NRL.

They could still go after Dufty for next year and move Walsh to five-eighth - but at this stage, that looks an unlikely move.

5. GOLD COAST TITANS
Another club that had been chasing Dufty in the past, the Red V speedster remained at the club last year despite some keen interest from the Titans.

It led to a career resurgence for the fullback, who went on to lock down the Dragons' starting spot.

There is a slim chance he ends up on the Gold Coast for next year, but there's always the possibility of playing AJ Brimson in the halves and Dufty at fullback.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/new...ons-fullback-s-likely-destinations/ar-AAKlalS
His managemet getting desperate to put another reminder out there
Slight tweek to a article rehased from last week
I personally would be happy to keep him for cheap cause i dont think those clubs will want him and we can still use him.
He has been told he is free to go, but what if he wants to stay? ;)
Does not necessary translate to "we dont want you for next year."..maybe just a thought

getsmarty

Immortal
I personally would be happy to keep him for cheap cause i dont think those clubs will want him and we can still use him.
Does not necessary translate to "we dont want you for next year."..maybe just a thought

I think they have moved on....Griffin doesn't muck around....take that as Fact....

possm

Coach
My tip is that he will go to ESL if the covid problem is over.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Why not just offer him what we think his worth can stay or go for more. Offering no contract seems strange why not keep him for backup. Must be an issue with him.

BLM01

First Grade
Why not just offer him what we think his worth can stay or go for more. Offering no contract seems strange why not keep him for backup. Must be an issue with him.
No His manager would not let that happen
He wants to be satisfied they can extract for both of them the best the market out there will offer
We will not stand in their way for that and that is a good outcome
It just may end up if he had no satisfactory destination for his manager Then the Dragons can make a play if not too late at what they can afford
That’s assuming we don’t find a suitable replacement before that happens
Dragons have taken the pressure off the club and it’s all up to his management and the player now

Slackboy72

Coach
Think Ramsey is a budding Bmoz.
No.
Nup. Nah.
No, no, no, no, no, no, no.
Slippery was a once in a generation talent. BMoz was a once in a lifetime talent. He is better than Boustead, Grothe, Ettinghausen and Blacklock. The greatest winger we will ever see. He totally outshone JMoz who is a phenomenal talent in his own right. BMoz should be a walk up immortal ten years from now. The only one, that I've seen, that compares to him is Sailor. And I think BMoz edges him.
Feel free to disagree. But you know I'm right.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
As expected this situation has shown us:

The pro - Dufty camp
The pro - Ramsey camp
The pro- sign a fullback camp
The pro- promote our juniors camp

The issue I feel is that Dufty has been told to look elsewhere for next season, do we have a replacement?

As I see it all the "pro" camps have positives and negatives. Some more than others, however, the fact remains he is not signed for 2022 with us or anywhere else for that matter atm.

The more confusing issue is also that he was named at fullback for today's game and that involves shifting the proposed (by some) "heir apparent" to the wing. The 'other' prospect is playing wing in reserve grade. Strange indeed.

Taking a guide through Reece Walsh, could be some clue (could be not definitely), he's obviously the "heir" to the Warriors fullback position, however, he has been eased into the role, with RTS happy to move to wherever it bests suits the team. FYI - Walsh has played 6 games in the NRL, 3 from f/b, 2 from the bench and 1 at 5/8. I can see Dufty being moved say to the bench and coming on as a strike player.

It also wouldn't surprise me, if Hook is playing a bit of "bluff with Duff", go out find yourself a new club at whatever $$$, if not then, play his bluff and say well here's a deal at my $$$. Take it or leave it and play whatever position I say.

All hypothetical of course.

Dragon David

First Grade
Matt Dufty's position at the Dragons is well and truly an enigma. A lot want him there and others don't and there is that mystery as to who Hook wants. When he is on, we are rapt and when he is off our energy is sapped. Hook is happy with certain things Dufty offers mainly in attack and is critical of him with several other parts of his game. In saying this, I'm hoping that Hook knows what our future fullback needs to have and be able to do and have him ready for 2022. I'd like to trust Hook, but will it be a hook, line and stinker recruitment result for us fans at the expense of Dufty?

thebigredv

First Grade
It also wouldn't surprise me, if Hook is playing a bit of "bluff with Duff", go out find yourself a new club at whatever $$$, if not then, play his bluff and say well here's a deal at my $$$. Take it or leave it and play whatever position I say.

This bluff with Duff is a good point, makes some sense, hadn't looked at it that way.

Griffin is a smart man. We could rid ourselves of Norman and bring in Sullivan but there is not obvious choice for fullback. Ramsey is some hope but that isn't enough to hang your hat on. Iff we lose Dufty (our most speedy, snooping-around-for-tries type player) and don't replace him we are immediately a weaker team. That would be ludicrous.