What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

hewi

Bench
Not even the Dragons could be so stupid as to let Dufty go mid season, could they? Surely not. While say Hook will be a two year coach only then logically the next question would be who would replace him? No one jumps to my mind. We are a chance of making 7/8 IMO this year so if that happens then this year is a pass. If at his instigation Norman is extended then he can go now.

Old Timer

Coach
Any notion of signing Dufty on the cheap as a “back up” is ludicrous.

He sees himself as a walk up start 1st grade FB who should be on good coin.

Something I have noticed iscwhen he scores or sets up a try he does get some accolades from the team but when he lets in a try he doesn’t get any consoling or “don’t worry you tried” pats on the back he is almost treated with disdain as he looks around wide mouthed for someone to blame because of the fact that he had to try and make a tackle.

Body language says a lot and the James Graham spray a couple of years ago was obviously for a reason and maybe that reason still exists.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Hook is no messiah FFS.

He was never 1st choice.

Others were all sounded out

- & Hasler for one was a far more savvy operator with runs on the board

... Hook doesn’t warrant the rather blind faith & trust many are according him.

He’s essentially clammed up or been rather muzzled at the pressers over the farcical Dufty controversy

Despite 2 ex coaches assisting him, the Broncs game was the 1st to show a hint of a game plan.

...But of course replicating the training paddock is a cinch against this Bronc outfit

And despite being initially more affable,
& being able to hang a sentence together in his laconic Bennett ways
& having 40+ higher IQ points than Mc Lost-In-Space

.... decision-wise there have been some disturbing parallels to the catastrophic prior decade

- especially so of course with our yet uncleansed Board rotting from the top

...and one that is yet again ignoring the fan base with the barricades now up again

- this time over the very understandable petition

More is going on with the Duff imbroglio than meets the eye -

and it’s a symptom of the malaise.

Has this extraordinary player retention issue
that’s now seemingly engulfed the Club & NRL
ever played out in this way before?

To cut to the chase:

Duff’s made Hook look a whole lot better than he is.
Therefore Duff must go
...if a favoured son is soon to return
QED

All else defies footy logic ATM

Hook won’t be extended.
No way

These were just 2 sacrificial, intermediate years,

.... with lip service being paid to ‘plans’ for juniors

And I deplore conspiracy theories lol

Nah we’re still rotten/rotting from the head

.. .& again we have 10,000 fans screaming & petitioning as much

...as again, across the NRL, they look on in disbelief
It’s way too early in his tenure to be getting into this territory. We are in the 8 ffs, with a side crafted by Mary and down on troops. Let’s at least give him his two years first before we go around this merry go round again.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Not sure how that would work. Surely we would not release our top line fullback without a replacement? Dragons are still in the top 8 and Dufty has been arguably their best player this season, they’d be deadset morons to release him mid season.
They already have Aekins and Hopoate on the books. I believe Hoppa is injured but if they are not happy with Aekins as backup why would we entertain him as first choice.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Matt is a scintillating attacking player.

His attacking ability is undoubted.

He has been better under the high ball recently.

Matt’s defence is ordinary. I hope it improves but in the end it’s all about attitude and belief.

If we aspire to being a top 4 side, we need someone better.

This applies to several positions including 6 and 7.

Griffin will need some time to build a contender.

Peanut was given 7 long years.

Suggest we give him at least 2 full seasons before we castrate him.
I agree that Dufty has his deficiencies. However, I think that if you aren’t going to resign a player, you should have already signed a player that is just as good for less money...or an even better player. Knowing the dragons, we have not thought that far ahead and will throw Beale into fullback and the same excuse of “it’s a rebuilding year” will resurface once again. Meanwhile, teams like the Roosters get rid of RTS and sign Tedesco, souffs get rid of Doueihi and sign Mitchell. And we’re left holding our dicks. It’s hard work being a dragons supporter.

Hook is no messiah FFS.

He was never 1st choice.

Others were all sounded out

- & Hasler for one was a far more savvy operator with runs on the board

... Hook doesn’t warrant the rather blind faith & trust many are according him.

He’s essentially clammed up or been rather muzzled at the pressers over the farcical Dufty controversy

Despite 2 ex coaches assisting him, the Broncs game was the 1st to show a hint of a game plan.

...But of course replicating the training paddock is a cinch against this Bronc outfit

And despite being initially more affable,
& being able to hang a sentence together in his laconic Bennett ways
& having 40+ higher IQ points than Mc Lost-In-Space

.... decision-wise there have been some disturbing parallels to the catastrophic prior decade

- especially so of course with our yet uncleansed Board rotting from the top

...and one that is yet again ignoring the fan base with the barricades now up again

- this time over the very understandable petition

More is going on with the Duff imbroglio than meets the eye -

and it’s a symptom of the malaise.

Has this extraordinary player retention issue
that’s now seemingly engulfed the Club & NRL
ever played out in this way before?

To cut to the chase:

Duff’s made Hook look a whole lot better than he is.
Therefore Duff must go
...if a favoured son is soon to return
QED

All else defies footy logic ATM

Hook won’t be extended.
No way

These were just 2 sacrificial, intermediate years,

.... with lip service being paid to ‘plans’ for juniors

And I deplore conspiracy theories lol

Nah we’re still rotten/rotting from the head

.. .& again we have 10,000 fans screaming & petitioning as much

...as again, across the NRL, they look on in disbelief

As Bennett often said “if you listen to the fans as a coach, you are most likely going to end up sitting with them”.

Matt has had a few really good games in attack this season, most notably against bottom 4 sides.

Unfortunately the same can’t be said when we play top 5 sides. Those sides exploit his known weaknesses.

Matt is our only real offensive weapon at present, hence the hysteria that has erupted at his possible departure. If we had a gun 6, the situation would be completely different as Matt is in reality our defacto 6.

Patience guys, give Hook some rope.

BIG RIG

Juniors
The last two weeks have shown this

Dufty at fullback is our only attacking weapon with inefficient halves and our defence with him at the back is not brick wall type of stuff but is ok

Ramsey at fullback against the Tigers - we did not score one try off a set play and leaked in 34 points against a bottom 4 team

And even if they continue the baffling decision to get rid of Dufty we will only go backwards with Ramsey at FB

Ramsey better off on the wing

BIG RIG

Juniors
Hmmm there is plenty of criticism of Dufty’s defende and poor reads. Yes sone is warranted, but does anyone consider the poor defence in the first line that results in him being exposed?

There has been plenty
Exactly Dufty wouldn’t be in a one on one situation if it wasn’t for our forwards missing basic tackles and not wrapping the ball

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It was quoted earlier in the thread by someone.
I couldn't see a source to back it up. Possm posted a random thought, something about $500-600K and others seems to have run with that.

Happy to be corrected if there's a better source.

Online, the closest I could find was talk out of Canberra saying they think they can get Dufty for 'good value', whatever that means... but presumably a lot less than $600K.

Dragon David

First Grade
Fine Hook doesn't want Dufty well if that's so put in his replacement now to see how he goes. If that doesn't improve us we go backwards that's the perfect way to go forward at the Dragons.
This is right boardlumps62. If there is, and it is a big IF, a young guy in our system waiting his turn to hit the high stakes of first grade, then who and where is he? Why is he not being introduced to our first grade squad and given several weeks to show his worth? Doesn't seem to me to be anyone!

The only thing I think that Hook has in mind is someone else that has all of the ingredients a fullback should have - height, strength, speed, playmaking and defence. I think that is Superman!

In all seriousness though, why the hell is this dragging on for so long - we know there are negotiations at play but are they that difficult to resolve? Ryan Webb should be addressing the issue as the CEO. Many of us want Dufty to stay, me included, and many don't or couldn't care less. It is more or less a fait accompli that Hook wants him gone and his poker face is hard to read that he has someone so much better in mind that has to be signed up before Webb can say anything.

As I have written earlier - not in the same words though, that it would be hard for us to see headlines saying "Duff the magic ex-dragon has played a role in thrashing his former club".

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I agree that Dufty has his deficiencies. However, I think that if you aren’t going to resign a player, you should have already signed a player that is just as good for less money...or an even better player. Knowing the dragons, we have not thought that far ahead and will throw Beale into fullback and the same excuse of “it’s a rebuilding year” will resurface once again. Meanwhile, teams like the Roosters get rid of RTS and sign Tedesco, souffs get rid of Doueihi and sign Mitchell. And we’re left holding our dicks. It’s hard work being a dragons supporter.

Agree- IMO, all the external better prospects for the FB position who are NRL match hardened such as Hynes and Addo-Carr are off the market. Dallin WZ is being shopped because he's on Norman money and like Norman, not worth half of it so he's not the answer either.
So what is this "different direction" we are going down? As Dragon Slayer says, if Dufty is as bad as Hook is implying, why was he picked against the Broncos? There is not obvious "different direction" within the Club. Ramsey, for mine looks seriously iffy under the high ball and has the same anorexic appearance as Dufty- just as likely to get rag-dolled. Sloan, the other name frequently mentioned is on the wing in KOE and has no NRL pedigree.
While I agree Dufty has major positional and defensive weaknesses, it seems incomprehensible to me that a club would let someone with Dufty's insane attacking ability go without at least finding an alternative position for him. We know Norman's defence is no better than Dufty's- he kicks (ordinarily) -no 40-20 s from him- doing his dinky grubbers and kicking a few goals- in other words playing Rugby- but his lack of pace, line breaking ability and passing game plus his age are more compelling reasons to get rid of him than Dufty.
My theory?- Dufty wants to play full-back only and wants more money than the Dragons are willing to pay him. Hook's plan is to keep Dufty, who's just moved to the Gong- on a $400-$450K contract and move him to an on ball role- 5/8 or dummy half off the bench as soon as he finds a suitable full-back. However, Norman is insurance, at least at 5/8, until Dufty agrees- then hopefully time will be called on Norman. It's a Mexican stand off until then.
However, my fear is that Kevvie will tempt Hook with yet another cheapie Bronco- this time Milford as some kind of swap deal for Dufty. I don't want to even think about that.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
A couple of pointers here:

1. I think Hook will be here longer than people think.

2. Unless something serious happens Duff will be here for the 2021 season.

3. Ramsey is no fullback. Of course he wants to play there, it's where the $$$ are just ask Duff! Further to Ramsey, great kid, but his body frame isnt going to support more weight. He's already stacked on kilos in the off-season, and this has really slowed down his pace, anymore and he'd be rendered another JP.

4. Is Sloan the chosen one? Possibly. Listening to him on the podcast, he's confident of getting a start in 1st grade soon (shame he's picked up a small injury). Where could that be?

5. Is there another? Maybe Bird, maybe an outsider from another comp, maybe there's another junior like Stewart they have their eye on.

Duff now seems to have atteacted some initial interest from a few clubs, but again they don't seem 'urgent'. Maybe his agent is testing the water, and it seems we have to the end of the season to make our final decision.

surfleague

Juniors
No offence but we’re talking chalk and cheese.
Billy could play prop if needed. An absolute legend.
I agree that comparing the two as players is way too far a stretch. Billy was indeed a super champion of champions. But there are many times a player has been moved from a position and they performed better in the new position. Dufty cannot continue as FB unless Dragons can suck up multiple errors a game in defence and positioning. As I said it would be a risk (because of the issues you listed) but maybe in defence at 5/8 he would have more support around him and not get caught out one-on-one so much or having to anticipate in cover defence as much. He certainly would not have to try and catch as many bombs or return as many kicks. He does a lot of his attacking already in the line like a 5/8 where he is not coming on to the ball like a robust FB, but is using his speed to get outside guys and then using his passing game. It may be that Dufty is the obstacle to trying him at 5/8 as he wants to be a FB. But given what is going on there ATM I reckon he should be tried at 5/8.

Saint Roy

Juniors
Unless we have a gun to replace. We need the duff for another couple years. If he’s going to contribute constantly like last week, I can handle him letting in the odd try

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
A couple of pointers here:

1. I think Hook will be here longer than people think.

2. Unless something serious happens Duff will be here for the 2021 season.

3. Ramsey is no fullback. Of course he wants to play there, it's where the $$$ are just ask Duff! Further to Ramsey, great kid, but his body frame isnt going to support more weight. He's already stacked on kilos in the off-season, and this has really slowed down his pace, anymore and he'd be rendered another JP.

4. Is Sloan the chosen one? Possibly. Listening to him on the podcast, he's confident of getting a start in 1st grade soon (shame he's picked up a small injury). Where could that be?

5. Is there another? Maybe Bird, maybe an outsider from another comp, maybe there's another junior like Stewart they have their eye on.

Duff now seems to have atteacted some initial interest from a few clubs, but again they don't seem 'urgent'. Maybe his agent is testing the water, and it seems we have to the end of the season to make our final decision.

My eyesight must be going- if Ramsey's "stacked on " kilos in the off season, I don't know where they went- he looks exactly the same as last year to me.