What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
If you catch a replay of the Newcastle v Parra game played today, around the 61st minute Lachlan Fitzgibbon makes a break and is tackled by Gutherson, as the ball is played Gutherson sprints back into the fullback line, Newcastle players attempts to get an offload which is picked up by a Parra player who pass straight back to Gutherson, that 10-15 seconds of play is what Dufty lacks..
And is why they call him king Gutho

Illusion

Bench
And is why they call him king Gutho
I agree mate Dufty does lack that urgency in defense and Gutho is great at it , but there are things that Gutho cant do that Duff can in attack ..... I hear and see what you are saying ..... Surely the way it is going with the game , we can use Duffs attacking ability even if its coming off the bench ....... To say they wont be offering him any sort of offer is crazy ......

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
This thread will all quieten down shortly when Dufty has his next 'rocks' performance, which, based on what we've seen the last 4 years, won't be too far away. At which point all those media personalities that don't watch Dragons matches in their entirety or just want to sell the action and the salacious side of the game will go back into their shell on the matter.

Having stated that, I signed the Keep Dufty petition purely because there is no clear succession plan for his impending departure. If it is suppose to be Sloane who is yet to play first grade or Ramsey, who is still finding his feet, then that is a joke. It is a big fat slap in the face of the fans who have seen a lot of stuttered, disjointed attacking performances the last decade.

It would be timely for our coach to at least come out and say who he is backing to play 1 at our club. Is that expecting too much?

Exactly- the "succession" plan for Dufty is too vague to be credible. FB has evolved into arguably the third most important team position after 1/2 back and dummy half. Even allowing for the incompetence of the "brains trust" at this club (Haran, Millward &co) it would send a terrible message to sponsors, members etc that we were going to sack Dufty and che sera sera on the full-back issue.
Hook fancies himself as a poker player and he is staring down Dufty on money. He knows that the Broncs wouldn't or couldn't pay Hynes $600K a year and he is a better all round player than Dufty. I'm sure he would like to move Dufty into an on ball role asap but having missed out on the players who would definitely provide an upgrade (Hynes and probably Addo-Carr) and until one of our up and comers like Stewart, Sloane-who knows maybe even Amone or Schiller, emerge from the pack as our long-term FB, he has no option but to keep Dufty.

hewi

Bench
I’d like Dufty to stay until there is a better option but not on $600,000 a year. The bottom line is we won’t win a premiership with him at fullback however in saying that he is not the top priority that needs changing. Just saying.

Illusion

Bench
I’d like Dufty to stay until there is a better option but not on $600,000 a year. The bottom line is we won’t win a premiership with him at fullback however in saying that he is not the top priority that needs changing. Just saying.
Yea make him an offer don't just say we won't be offering him anything ......

BBTB

Juniors
Exactly- the "succession" plan for Dufty is too vague to be credible. FB has evolved into arguably the third most important team position after 1/2 back and dummy half. Even allowing for the incompetence of the "brains trust" at this club (Haran, Millward &co) it would send a terrible message to sponsors, members etc that we were going to sack Dufty and che sera sera on the full-back issue.
Hook fancies himself as a poker player and he is staring down Dufty on money. He knows that the Broncs wouldn't or couldn't pay Hynes $600K a year and he is a better all round player than Dufty. I'm sure he would like to move Dufty into an on ball role asap but having missed out on the players who would definitely provide an upgrade (Hynes and probably Addo-Carr) and until one of our up and comers like Stewart, Sloane-who knows maybe even Amone or Schiller, emerge from the pack as our long-term FB, he has no option but to keep Dufty.
Exactly, Dufty's management is asking for to much money.
Hook is calling their bluff...
Wait and see?

Dragon for life

Juniors
Any notion of signing Dufty on the cheap as a “back up” is ludicrous.

He sees himself as a walk up start 1st grade FB who should be on good coin.

Something I have noticed iscwhen he scores or sets up a try he does get some accolades from the team but when he lets in a try he doesn’t get any consoling or “don’t worry you tried” pats on the back he is almost treated with disdain as he looks around wide mouthed for someone to blame because of the fact that he had to try and make a tackle.

Body language says a lot and the James Graham spray a couple of years ago was obviously for a reason and maybe that reason still exists.
Wide mouthed?? Remind you of someone… Soward!! i remember him giving someone a gobfull due to him getting tackled with the ball Because the player had over run him😂 At least Soward tried to tackle i.e Inglis that time in the corner😂😂😂

Lethal25

Juniors
Surely there's more to the story than just football. If it doesn't make sense to nearly every other person outside of the club then I'm left with the thought that there is another issue which hasn't been aired to the general public

blacksafake

First Grade
If you catch a replay of the Newcastle v Parra game played today, around the 61st minute Lachlan Fitzgibbon makes a break and is tackled by Gutherson, as the ball is played Gutherson sprints back into the fullback line, Newcastle players attempts to get an offload which is picked up by a Parra player who pass straight back to Gutherson, that 10-15 seconds of play is what Dufty lacks..
Exactly.
I’m not a big fan of him but you really have to hand it to him with his efforts on every play. Has also turned into a good leader.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Exactly.
I’m not a big fan of him but you really have to hand it to him with his efforts on every play. Has also turned into a good leader.
He reminds me Jason Nightingale, he is just rock solid and never lets you down. He’s the type of player that if you had 10 of in your team you would win more games than you lose.

I saw that and couldn't have been more impressed. It smacked of effort and attitude.

I pretty much disliked Gutherson last season for some of the "behaviours" on the field we'd see - showmanship etc call it what you like. It's been tempered down this year (wonder if someone's had a chat with him). What I see now is a wholehearted footballer I truly admire, who puts in maximum effort each and every game for each and every minute.

He creates opportunities because of the work he puts in - like yesterday. He's not the most talented or flashy fullback in the comp - but through sheer hard work and effort he makes things happen. And he's someone who - as a parra fan - you are not concerned about coz you know each week what you're gonna get - and it's gonna be good.

If we had a fullback who did this - we'd be in a far better position than currently.

Crush

Coach
Interesting article on foxsports.com with Mick Ennis discussing Dufty topic with Hooper. Ennis makes some excellent points. His comments on Ramsey were interesting. Basically says that Ramsey is a coaches dream, works his butt off, great attitude, good for team culture but when it comes down to the nitty gritty of it doesn’t have the skill set of Dufty.
He also acknowledges Dufty isn’t a great defender but says that you don’t have guys like Benji or Dufty in your team for their defensive prowess.
So if ex players like Ennis, Anista, etc etc are all scratching their heads at Dragons decision why is it so many fans in here are happy to see the back of him. Do these ex players not have an eye for the game? Are they agenda driven? Or is it the fans that are agenda driven

For the record, I am happy to trust in the coaches here and if they want to move him on I think it’s more about attitude than anything else. But I do hope they have thought this one through and have a solid plan.
Cause this team lacks points without Dufty. That’s just a fact.

Smirrors

Juniors
My take on the Dufty contract is yes we want him, but we don't necessarily want to pay him a huge amount or lock him in for too long. He seems like a short term prospect for us to contest a premiership.

boardlumps62

Juniors
My take on the Dufty contract is yes we want him, but we don't necessarily want to pay him a huge amount or lock him in for too long. He seems like a short term prospect for us to contest a premiership.
Must be it why hasn't the terms of the contract been made public they usually end up being reported or leaked. Probably wants 3 yrs deal?

Smirrors

Juniors
Ive heard numbers quoted and they are on the higher side. 3 years is the typical. Is he worth more or less than Hynes? Given we think we know his limits I think he's worth less.

Dragon David

First Grade
I’m sure Garrick played a few games there last season when turbo was out. Didn’t set the world on fire & from memory suspect under the highball.
I think Morris has played his last game but if not at his age coming back from knee injury I’d pass. I’d rather remember him as a star for what he achieved with us.
Aekin is a no from me.
Milford I think could be ok in the short term at the right price.
B Morris has officially announced his retirement from league.

He will be remembered by us for his great service to the club before joining his brother at the barking club.

All the best Brett.

be55

Juniors
I honestly think people are looking too much into this...I think that the decision was Hook's, as to who he wants to keep at the club...

Norman or Dufty...

They are both off contract at the end of the year and realistically Hook can't keep both...

Based on Hook's praise of Norman to the media, and the constant watering down of any positive comments that were put to him about Dufty's performances, I came to the conclusion a while ago, that Hook will choose to re-sign Norman and therefore Dufty would be shown the door...

I think that Norman, as pathetic as he has been for us for the last three years, will be re-signed, and the nightmare that we all thought was coming to an end this year, will continue into next year and probably beyond...

I pray to god that i am wrong, for all our sakes, but i can honestly see Norman being retained at the expense of Dufty, and I can see the fans turning nuclear on the club and this forum going into complete meltdown...

Praying I'm wrong 🙏