What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Elliot gone!?

Caged Panther

First Grade
guys i know someone has said this before but penrith have never sacked any coach there always seen out there length

That's simply not true I'm pretty sure when simmons was sacked he hadn't even started the first year of a three year renewal.

And guys please don't drag any issues you have with PI in here.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
Mathew Idiot played for the dragon, cant play for sh*t and now cant coach for sh*t, but damm his got to be the best laugh going round ;)

*Sandy*

First Grade
Give girds the trainers job should at least increase the female numbers of the crowd

Hopefully he didnt get too comfortable up in that coaches box, and from a personal point my view of the footy field would be much better with him on the sideline. ;-)

Dave Q

Coach
I think Elliot is pretty good as far as his media presentations are concerned.

He comes across with a kind of leadership nous or arrogance, he seems to be comfortable with what he is doing and where he is going.

And its interesting that he seems to do so at arms length from the club.

He says with some confidence "I have a contract" and he is right but that kind of comment distances him from the club.

Now that isolation is beneficial to the extent that if things go badly, the club can blame him or if they go well, that justifys his continuing appointment.

3 or 4 more solid first graders and I have no doubts that the Panthers would have been in the 8. This is not a nightmare season by any means.

But whether he likes it or not, the questions about his future have undermined his stature.

But whats done is done, he is staying for the time being and we will all have to wear it.

Elliot is not a bad person.

Last edited:

maple_69

Bench

He comes across with a kind of leadership nous or arrogance, he seems to be comfortable with what he is doing and where he is going.

He says with some confidence "I have a contract" and he is right but that kind of comment distances him from the club.

Now that isolation is beneficial to the extent that if things go badly, the club can blame him or if they go well, that justifys his continuing appointment.

3 or 4 more solid first graders and I have no doubts that the Panthers would have been in the 8. This is not a nightmare season by any means.

But whether he likes it or not, the questions about his future have undermined his stature.

But whats done is done, he is staying for the time being and we will all have to wear it.

You know, people keep saying this, but the amount of players he's rubbed up the wrong way, treated like sh*t, turfed out of the club or the first team. The way he treats the fans makes me wonder if that IS the actual problem, rather than his dismal coaching skills and strategies so much...

Last edited by a moderator:

The Rhino

Juniors
Maple,

Have you had a bad experience with ME, besides supporting the Panthers? How does ME treat the fans? I've never had a problem with him in terms of his treatment of me or my family or friends. His treatment of players is another story - I agree that SMS'ing players to advise they have been dropped for the following game is wrong. Do you think Brad Tighe has an attitude problem? I mean showing up to the game on the weekend in his suit, without his kit and only mentions to ME that he won't be playing due to injury halfway though the u/20's game. That is a communication problem from both ends. But it also shows to me that Tighe did not care enough for the fans of this club or his teammates to speak up earlier in the week, regardless of how he felt about ME.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caged Panther

First Grade
The fact is elliott now has no excuses he had the exact team he wants it appears as though all the trouble makers have moved or been moved on. So it's sink or swim time for the bloke.

And to be honest he doesn't have much time to swim because early next year decisions need to be made about coaches so that we can do some recruitment for 2010.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors

This is coming from the guy who ranks players using a bullsh*t statstics method.

Dave Q= full of kaka.

Hanscholo

Bench
No doubt about it, there has never been a better time to be an ordinary coach in RL. More money saving cop outs than i can ever recall seeing. Surely they can see what damage this bloke is doing to your club, a good coach is the primary factor in a team going forward or backward and they treat it like he is the clubs garbage man.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Guess I can live with Elliott for another year but I hope his sidekick gets punted.

We can hope but as someone made the observation to me last night how likely is that to happen?

The board meeting essentially put Elliott on notice you'd think that would mean Elliott would want his loyalists by his side more than ever.

Commando

Juniors
Lets just hope they dont extend his contract.

If ME is going to make the most of his "last chance", he is going to have to stop his vendetta against players like Paul Aiton. Incidentally, I thought Aiton played a good game on Saturday and I'm still puzzled as to why he is not being considered as No.1 hooker next year.

maple_69

Bench
Maple,

Have you had a bad experience with ME, besides supporting the Panthers? How does ME treat the fans? I've never had a problem with him in terms of his treatment of me or my family or friends.

Personally I've never had a problem with him. Then again I've never run into him so...My point was, and while I was worked up at the time the point remains, he doesn't recognize fans nor seem to appreciate us. I was referring to his and the club in general's failure to communicate with us on the important issues. I also don't respect his transformation of this team into the most boring club in the league.

Anyway, until next season I'm going to try to avoid anything League related, except our U20s/Wolves premiership charges.

Pantha-Boy

Juniors
Personally I've never had a problem with him. Then again I've never run into him so...My point was, and while I was worked up at the time the point remains, he doesn't recognize fans nor seem to appreciate us. I was referring to his and the club in general's failure to communicate with us on the important issues. I also don't respect his transformation of this team into the most boring club in the league.

Anyway, until next season I'm going to try to avoid anything League related, except our U20s/Wolves premiership charges.
All Elliot cares about is what episode on desperate houswives is on that night.

t1tan

Juniors
CONGRATULATIONS Matthew Elliott, you've just won Survivor: Penrith. Your prize? Getting to come back for another season of mutinous intrigue that will once again keep viewers enthralled.
Even if he was voted off yesterday, Elliott still would have walked away with a $400,000 consolation prize.
In the end, it was simply too big a pay-out for the cash-strapped Panthers board to give away.
Make no mistake, Penrith gave themselves every opportunity to sack Elliott a year early.
Over the past week, CEO Mick Leary interviewed every first-grader about the coach's performance during the past two seasons. In many cases, the responses weren't flattering.
Departing veterans tapped on the shoulder a year early themselves felt their coach deserved a similar fate.
The old guard struggled to understand Elliott's textbook approach to gameplans and day-to-day communication. In the end, the dialogue stopped.
Just hours before last Saturday night's final game, Elliott bumped into his starting five-eighth Brad Tighe at CUA Stadium.
Tighe was dressed in a suit.
Elliott asked why and then Tighe decided to finally break the news: he was injured and didn't intend to play.
Elliott had to pull a youngster from the Toyota Cup side 20 minutes into the curtain raiser.
If those who criticised Elliott were staying in 2009, their opinions might have counted a little more. Instead, senior players like Luke Rooney, Rhys Wesser, Tony Puletua and Luke Priddis are the scapegoats because Elliott has survived and they've walked.
The Daily Telegraph understands that Leary's final report did not include a recommendation about Elliott's future.
The board wanted to make their own decision, based on the evidence within and what Elliott told them yesterday.
So how did Elliott succeed where Morris Iemma failed and outlast a politically poisonous landscape?
While his verbal overtures impressed the directors, Elliott also had support where it counted.
Players like Nathan Smith and Luke Lewis, players who represent Penrith's future rather than its past, endorsed him.
Smith, in particular, was instrumental in leading a push against the forces trying to drive Elliott out. The pair have been close since their days in Canberra, with Elliott fighting hard for Penrith to retain the blond-haired lock before he re-joined the Raiders earlier this year.
Smith would later renege to remain with Elliott, who will now finish what he started at Penrith - a three-year contract.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24315522-5001023,00.html

Latest posts