What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Lodge

Mojo

Bench
My personal opinion: I wouldn't take any of Munster, The Cheese, Lodge, Packer etc and I would summarily terminate the contract of any player found taking Class A narcotics. Why? These guys are role models and they are paid very handsomely which, in my opinion, includes an obligation not to engage in criminal behaviour. Ask the parents of drug addicted youths and the women and children who have been victims of domestic violence. Drug use / abuse and violence often go together. Sure there's loads of people who have done coke and had great times. There's also loads of people all over the world whose lives have been destroyed by using coke in its varied forms - or being an unfortunate relative or associate of someone who has.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
From what has been reported, the Warriors have paid him out some $700k, without knowing the ins and outs as it has not been made public, that would suggest that the Warriors have some legal obligation to pay or Lodge has a good case so Warriors settled, otherwise if Lodge did something wrong, why would he get a payout? Surely if the Warriors were in the right they would have held him to his contract or said you can leave but you are getting nothing.
100% agree there is more to it, all of a sudden he wants out and they pay the full contract doesn't add up but Lodge made to be the bad guy due to previous incidents, doesn't add up in my mind

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Yeah, as I said - he's not committing any crimes that I know of. But that doesn't mean any club should sign him. He's not made it through a contract at four clubs, why should the fifth believe that's going to change?

You can call BS on what I said, that's fine. We can't take it as gospel.

Again, I am not saying he is a 'dirty' human now. I'm saying he's a selfish, hot head who I wouldn't sign for the world if I was someone like the Dolphins starting out, or a club like the Dragons that needs stability. And it's absolutely irrelevant about 'what about this other guy'. We're talking about Matt Lodge.

The Broncos moved Lodge on because he wanted out. The Warriors moved him on because he wasn't prepared to commit to the contract he signed, yet he played us by saying he would activate the player option for 2023 but not move to NZ...yet we were too soft to hold him to it.

At the end of the day, good luck to anyone who signs him. And fair play to anyone who feels he's still worth a shot, he's seeking redemption etc. Ask most Warriors fans, Broncos fans etc and they'll say good riddance to a guy who only ever gave a f**k about himself.
Which are the four clubs, he has only played for Tigers Broncos and Warriors which is the 4th club and fifth club??

SGMax

Juniors
I read a few days ago that Lodge and the Warrior's owner had heated words where the Owner said some terrible things likely under the influence of alcohol.
The following day Lodge tried to clear the air and was not met with any willingness from the owner.
Apparently there were racial remarks made.
This seems to explain why the Warriors paid him out $700k to sweep the incident under the carpet.
In the article, Lodge appeared to be very understanding and forgiving of the behaviour, even defending the character of the owner.
Apologies, I do not recall the source.

Hard Yards

Juniors
In the distant past there were years when the Saints did most things well and achieved beyond what other clubs could only dream of; we were the envy of all rugby league clubs.

Most fans and supporters know that our great achievement of 11 consecutive premierships was mainly due to sensible, clever, and unselfish management within the club.

In more recent times there has been a stench of selfish, inept, and maybe even corrupt, people running our great club; the results are there for all to see;
Poor management
Jobs for the boys (who never had the skills to do things properly)
A mentality of medureoccracy
No real plan to address the current problem
No future plans that give fans and supporters faith and hope.

In my opinion, there are a few things that would help our club dig itself out of this MESS:

1. Sell up to 30% of the St George Illawarra Football Club shares to Red V Members by including a set number of shares in the membership fee. These shares to be retained while the owner is a current Red V Member (a maximum individual allocation to apply).
2. Sell a further 10% of shares to St George Leagues Club Members and Illawarra Leagues Club Members (a maximum individual allocation to apply).
3. Sell a further 10% of shares on the public.
4. The current owners to retain 25% each of the shares.
5. Set an initial, total share value at 20m
6. Use the funds raised from this exercise to:
a. Improve player training facilities.
b. Further develop our Academy.
c. Recruit the very best coaching staff.
d. Hire the very best Club administrators.
c. Upgrade Leagues Club facilities at Kogarah and Wollongong.

This would set us on the journey to rescue our Club as only in this structure could we hold the Board of Management accountable to the Members. Not only could the Club raise about 10m, but it would also increase the number of shareholders with a financial interest in the well-being of our Club. Under this restructure, I am confident that decisions will be made in the best interest of the Club.
There are more questions than answer in this approach. What method is used to determine a valuation of 20m, or is this an arbitrary figure. Will shares be a dollar each? Current shareholders, especially majors, have to be satisfied as to actual value methodology. Will current owners be paid for their reduced share holding and how much ? Will the 30% shares alocatted to members, be costed into the offer price of membership or be gratis, if so 20m of share value now becomes 14m. If they are not to be free, current members will pay for them, with around 18000 members they would be asked to pay 330.00 on average per share. Being 6m divided by 18000 members, with an assumed price of 1.00 per share.
The notion of "best" with regard board appointments and senior executives is always a stated prerequisite, but highly subjective as to process, selection criteria and qualifications. Anthony Siebold, as an example, was touted as the "best" example of an educated and highly qualified coach, the way forward. Best as to facilities, remembering Penrith built their centre of excellence-now said to be a yardstick, for a cost of 10m, back then. Half of your 20m (or 14 m.) Little if any left over to redo the 2 clubs. Remembering J. Packer donated the 10m.
Appreciate your frustration over the years, but solutions to problems are a bringing together of many talents, skills, resources, intelect, planning and a large amount of patience and cooperation. Our success of the past is just that - the past, everything changes, look at the local demographic of the StGeorge district today comared to the 70,s and 60's as an example. Just my response, not a negative criticism of your solution.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Which are the four clubs, he has only played for Tigers Broncos and Warriors which is the 4th club and fifth club??
Melbourne - he was released from their U20s side, despite being in the U20s Team of the Year the previous year.

As for the fifth club, guess we'll soon find out? Apparently Dolphins have said no, which surprises me with his father in law there.

The_Frog

First Grade
Which part exactly was due to mental illness?

The threatening to kill young women or busting into someone’s house chasing after them?
All of it. The guy's loony. By the way, the really messed up ones don't threaten, they just do it as you saw in Texas the other day.

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade
He was at Panthers before the Storm, playing under 20s against kids two and three years older than him. Gus has spoken numerous times about his behavioural issues in those times and tried to keep him there where he could be closely watched and mentored, but the Storm offer was too good to refuse.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
So as a society we don't want to give him a second chance in the NRL, considering he hasn't harmed anyone since NY incident, using the excuse that he has not fulfilled he's contracts is a bit rich in my opinion, considering how we have Mybe, Suli, Bird etc who came to us while technically under contract to other clubs, i don't care if we or another team signs him or not, same as i didn't care that we signed Russell Packer another player given a 2nd chance and took it.

qld redvee

Juniors
100% agree there is more to it, all of a sudden he wants out and they pay the full contract doesn't add up but Lodge made to be the bad guy due to previous incidents, doesn't add up in my mind
especially when he had told the warriors he wasnt taking up his option but leaving at end of year .. then the warriors say that they paid his option out .......