What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Nable

TheRam

Coach
I love the promos. I know it's a very, very low bar but better then anything CH9 do that's for sure.

But the NRL are terrible at promos and voice overs for the game. It takes a very distinct and generally deep voice to do outstanding voice overs without sounding like you are trying to hard or unwarranted excitement in your voice. The Americans do it way better then us Aussies do that's for sure. Our accent doesn't naturally lend itself to gravitas like the Americans or Brits.

I reckon both CH9 and Fox NRL should do some homework and find a new voice for RL that hits all the right notes for the promotional side of things. It is a much neglected area within our sport that if they get it right enhances the final product 100%. It can not be underestimated, which at the moment I think they do.

Look at what Tina Turner did for the game all those years ago. We haven't been able to promote the game as well ever since. I know it was a song versus commentary, but short of unearthing a new "Simply The Best" then commentary is the other side of promotion. Commentary is the other side of the game that is not valued as much as it should be. It changes everything. Great editing and voice over is key.

Matt Noble is ok, but I get that he is not everyone's cup of tea and it could be better. In fact it should be better and needs to go to another level. These are the little things that shit me and I wish the rights holders would make greater effort in. In fact Aussie sport in general doesn't do sports voice over commentary well. We as a nation suck at it. The NRL and the rights holders should look at changing that.

edabomb

First Grade
Matt "Matty" Nable has hit career best form this week. A comparison of Dale Finucane to Rafa "the GOAT" Nadal - I just never would have seen it. I mean, I still don't see it, but Matty just sounds like such a hard working bloke I'm going to take his word for it.

soc123_au

Staff member
Finucane copped the Nable curse. Getting your own mini series is the kiss of death.

Radley, Sivo and now Finucane