What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Rogers encourages Joey defection

DIEHARD

----
Come on over, Joey: Rogers By Mat Rogers Sunday, April 4, 2004

Make no mistake about it, Andrew "Joey" Johns is a must-sign for the ARU. Whoever is the new boss of the Australian Rugby Union should adopt a "whatever-it-takes" attitude towards Johns and make sure he is delivered to rugby union.

That's how valuable he would be to rugby. And money shouldn't really be any kind of excuse - the ARU pocketed plenty from the World Cup.

Joey is the best player I've seen with a football in his hands. I've seen Brad Fittler, Trent Barrett, Carlos Spencer and Stephen Larkham and, without doubt, he has the edge on all of them.

He would be capable of transforming the Wallabies from a good team into a great one.

Not only is he a tremendous attacking player but he hits as hard as any forward.

He is the best player in either code and when he is on song he plays a different game from anyone else I've seen.

His kicking game is tailor-made for rugby union. He revolutionised the way kicks are used as an attacking weapon in league and he could show some of the rugby boys exactly how it's done. What I like about Joey is that when he plays football it looks like fun. He appears to really enjoy it. It's like when you watch kids dominate in junior football - they appear to be playing a different game from anyone else, and that's how Joey makes league look.

There's no doubt about the position he'd have to play: it would be No.10 for sure. I don't know if he would have an impact on the game straight away. He may take some time to learn it, even though I know he watches a fair bit of rugby.

Rugby is a technical game, not just a game where you can say "give me the ball and watch what I can do". If you do that your teammates, especially the forwards, get annoyed pretty quickly.

After he learned the structure of the game, there would be no doubt he would make Jonny Wilkinson appear robotic. Jonny is a great player and tough defender, but he hasn't got the same running or passing game as Joey.

Naturally, signing him would be a huge promotional coup for the ARU but that wouldn't be the reason it would sign him. I don't know whether any more league fans can switch over as supporters than did last year with a home World Cup featuring Lote Tuqiri, Wendell Sailor and myself.

The two doubtful factors with Joey are his age and the ability to overcome his latest injury.

As I am learning, age is just a number. I'm on the wrong side of 25 but I'm starting to look at Cliffy Lyons as my role model. He played forever. I've never enjoyed my sport more than I had been before I was injured and I'm sure Joey is the same.

Also, he has come back from injury before, and a neck injury is probably harder to come back from mentally and physically than a blown-out knee.

He would enjoy the group of guys he'd find in rugby union. The social scene is a little bit quieter in rugby but he would probably liven it up. He'd certainly fit in with big 'Dell', who always needs a companion for nights out.

Lote and I would also make him welcome and it would be a treat if I got the chance to play in the same side as him on a regular basis.

rossy

Juniors
Of course Rogers wants Joey to go to Union.

It gets really lonely in rehab sessions all year and Joey is no stranger to long term injury.

russ13

First Grade
Yes with Lote back in RL next year & the current NSW RU 10th on the super 12 (Queensland is 11th or second last) table after 4 straight losses Joey will have a lot of untalented players around him. A real incentive to play union I must say.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
If Johns went to Union at this stage I don't think League would regard it as a huge loss anymore, it would more be a case of "fair enough, his body can't handle real football anymore". If he succeeded in Union it would actually be good for League; a broken-down League player in semi-retirement carving it up in union!!

DIEHARD

----
He'd face a massive backlash, but then again that may make him do it out of spite. I think he will stay in Rugby League. It would be tragic to lose him from the greatest game.

I really thinki he will go to union.

He hasnt completed an NRL season for 3 years. He would get more money for less work.

I would much prefere him to go to the Broncos and have a shot at doing an Allan Langer...run the team around the park and build something awesome at the end of his career.

t-ba

Post Whore
Who would he play for though?

Whittaker is far too classy just too give the old heave ho (You'd be pretty stupid too imho) and Gregan is the Eddie Jones Poster Child. That Leaves the Koalas :lol: .

I can just imagine it now, Joey limping out to the 'sacred turf' of Ballymore in Maroon with chardonnay glasses being hurled at him :lol: .

I think he'd play for NSW and they'd slot him in ANYWHERE.

I think it would be a dumb buy by union....but so was Sailor and Rogers and that didnt stop them.

As for being a massive lost....I dont think so any more. It would be sad and his League career would be looked at in a different light (Not complete).

DIEHARD

----
But the prestique of stealing our best player would hurt us. And people would go to see him play. Imagine Joey, they face of the ARU and in a Wallaby jersey! :x

miketyson

Juniors
If you were him and you just blew out one of your knees ..

You could stay in the NRL and cop a smashing every week and play 25-30 really phyisically demanding games getting tackled or making them 30+ times a game or sign for the ARU and play 4 or 5 serious games and make 2 or 3 tackles ..

I will say this...League fans would NEVER forgive him.

Its the difference between being a celebrated player....or the player that sold out.

Just look at Matt Rogers. Only family and friends respect that sellout.

Im not just saying that because he went to union either. Lote Tuqiri went to union and I respect him....as I think most league fans do. he went over to play union...but he didnt trot out the stupid crap Rogers and Sailor did.

At one point Sailor said Gregan was the best player he'd ever played with in either code. :roll:

rossy said:
Of course Rogers wants Joey to go to Union.

It gets really lonely in rehab sessions all year and Joey is no stranger to long term injury.

Hahahahaha...so very true.

I don't think he will go...more likely to go to Brisbane or God forbid the Roosters if Fittler pulls the pin

legend

Coach
I'm not sure what he'll do but Rogers is a dipshit to be frank. I doubt he could even spell his onw name let alone write a newspaper column. I'm sure Sailor is off contract at the end of this year and then he's off to Japan so how could Joey hang out with Wendell if Wendell is carving it up in Hiroshima against the Osaka butterflies?

Sailor is on the verge of being usurped in the Wallabies anyway. Clyde Rathbone and Joe Roff will push Wendell out of the Wallabies and Tuqiri will probably return to league as expected.

If Johns goes, the biggest backlash will come from his home town fans. They will never forgive him in Newcastle and his departure will see the Knights eyeing off the spoon for a few years.

t-ba

Post Whore
Joey would probably sell his house and move well away from Newcastle before he made any mention of his defection :lol: .

There'd be scenes out of Mississippi Burning if he stayed in Newcastle :lol: .

That Rathbone is absolute class. It's a shame he isn't a Leaguie.

eelandia

Juniors
Am I just being paranoid or does Mat Rogers have a subtle dig at League in his column each week..??

It is almost like he is trying to convince everyone he made the right decision to switch - sounds like he needs to convince himself of that fact first..!!

Latest posts