What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Rogers encourages Joey defection

Parraren

Bench
I thought Joey already confirmed on the Footy Show last week that he would come back to the NRL but he wasn't sure which team it would be with? Or was I hearing things? Or might he play Union for a few years and then come back? I doubt it, because the Yawnion World Cup is a few years away.

On a side note, doesn't Lote Tuqiri look like he's having the time of his life playing for the Rarahtahs? :lol:

legend

Coach
I think the person who writes for Mat Rogers is having a subtle dig at league every week. :lol:

bazza

Immortal
Joey's manager is doing a good job shopping him around. The main thing at this stage is to get a few people bidding whether it be the ARU or an NRL club.

Much will depend on Joey's financial situation on where he goes. Does he take the money or go for the "challenge"?

He has won a couple of premierships with the Knights, played, captained and won at State of Origin and for the Kangaroos and won a World Cup - so he has done it all in league.

If he goes to union he could play Super 12 and get all the glory that goes with that (not much) and play some games for the Wallabies. Play some Bledisloe games and maybe a match a Twickenham. I'm not sure if he would be able to play long enough for the next RU WC - which will be an obscurity for us here as the matches will be on at midnight from France.

Also - both Sunday gossipers said that Rogers would be heading back to the Sharkies next year

Kiwi

First Grade
nospam49 said:
I really thinki he will go to union.

He hasnt completed an NRL season for 3 years. He would get more money for less work.

I would much prefere him to go to the Broncos and have a shot at doing an Allan Langer...run the team around the park and build something awesome at the end of his career.

Don't want him at the Broncos, we have Seymour and Lockyer.

Kaz

junior
Kiwi said:
nospam49 said:
I really thinki he will go to union.

He hasnt completed an NRL season for 3 years. He would get more money for less work.

I would much prefere him to go to the Broncos and have a shot at doing an Allan Langer...run the team around the park and build something awesome at the end of his career.

Don't want him at the Broncos, we have Seymour and Lockyer.

Even if we didn't have Seymour or Lockyer, we still don't want him.

Joey is a big fish in a big pond in Newcastle.

At the Broncos he would just be a little fish in a big pond.

What I mean is Joey would be treated exactly the same way as all players at the Broncos are treated, as equals.

ali

Bench
And another paper gossip column says rogers could be on his way back to League next year because he's mates with Raper and his old man is our CEO. I agree with Legend, I doubt Rogers actually writes his own column.

DIEHARD

----
We (Broncos) need a Queensland halfback. Or we risk further handicapping our Origin chances.

The Observer

Staff member
Disco said:
If he did go, surely he'd play 5/8

Johns would play fly half, in the 10 jersey. Its first receiver, similar to halfback in RL. At the Waratahs, they have Tim Donnelly and former Bronco lower grader Shaun Berne. Neither have set the world on fire. He'd be accomodated easily. The Reds have Elton Flatley, the Brumbies Stephen Larkham.

For the Wallabies, his only competition would be the fragile Larkham or the monotonous Flatley.

t-ba

Post Whore
Maybe Waratahs Legend Duncan McRae will come out of semi-retirement and claim the Prestigous Wallabies Number 10 :lol:

Pigskin

Juniors
I'd rather they spend their millions on a player like Joey than target some of our up and coming backs

he spends more time off the field than on the field anyway

but whether you love him or loathe him ... I would have thought he'd have no trouble with a career in the media or coaching or something after he finishes in league ..... if he stops being a dickhead

but if he switches codes, will those opportunities still be there ?

maybe union could give him a job as an accountant or something :lol:

Oink !

beerboy

Juniors
id rather see Joey playing for the Tahs & Wallabies than Newcastle
better a team i go for
send him in at Randwick as well

shiznit

Coach
i dont see the problem,
hes done everything there is in the game of rugby league.
rugby union is a challenge he could take up, i just think league fans need to stop whining about the codes taking diffrent players and so on.
there professional sportsman and they have a right to play whatever sport they wish.
if he decided to goto union i dont think he has to justify himself to anyone, league fans or people from newcastle.
you lot have just overblown the whole thing, most league fans wouldnt give a toss if he stays or not.
and why should he? hes given league his life since he was quite young.
as for rodgers i think he made a good choice to leave the sharks because hes a much better player not then he ever was in league.
hes more involved and thats what the sharks didnt wanna give him.
Brad Thorn is another player that went to union because his childhood dream was to be an all black.
i dont know why everyone just cant grow up and stop acting like rugby league/rugby union owns these players.

Swampdonkey

Juniors
I think Joey is getting past his best unfortunately, there is no way you could have the injuries that Joey has had and come back the same player.

Rogers thinks age is just a number, there are a hell of a lot of players around 30 years of age that would disagree with him. The older you get the more injury prone you become....

Union would be stupid spending heaps of money on Joey as he is a BIG risk. If they are going to go for a half back that is relatively injury free and suited to the game, i would think that there are better halfbacks in the NRL to suit their needs.....

That said, Mat Rogers can take his Union loving opinion and blow it out his arse....who cares what he thinks????

macavity

Referee
Joey is going to England to play league.

I can almost guarantee it.

And it breaks my red&blue heart.

:cry:

Nuke

Staff member
I don't care that he is my second-cousin, if he goes to union, then I will completely ignore anything he ever does in that shit code. Having said that, I don't believe for a second that he'll go there. Personally, I reckon he'll sign a 2yr contract with the Knights. The 2nd choice will be to go to England. He's always said that he'd love to play there one day, and right now would appear to be the more logical time to do it.

But for the meantime, he's a League player (the greatest ever) AND he's a Knight. So Joey, we love ya!

gaterooze

Bench
Another factor...

Joey's new girlfriend is from England. Her parents still live there, and have been out here visiting her & Joey this week.

Might be more incentive for him to go over there?

So the rumour he is is going to the UK then?

If so....union or League. My guess would be union. There is just more money avalible in union....alot more.

Not because they make more money over there. Just because SL clubs spread their money over so many crap players that when a good Aussie comes along there is not enough left under the cap to offer him.

Latest posts