What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Shirvington joins Dragons

nrlnrl

First Grade
http://www.dragons.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=41753

Matt Shirvington To Join Dragons Performance Department In 2012

11/08/2011 3:07:27 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons officially announced on Thursday that Matt Shirvington has agreed to join the Club’s Performance Department to deliver its Speed and Acceleration Program in 2012.
Shirvington, 32, will deliver the Dragons Speed and Acceleration Program alongside incoming Dragons’ Performance Director Andrew Gray and will join the Club in November.
During an international athletics career that spanned a decade, the international sprinter held both the Australian 100m national sprint title from 1998-2002 as well as placing fourth in the 1998 Commonwealth Games 100m final with an Australian record time of 10.03 seconds.
Since his retirement, Shirvington has developed a dual career in coaching and television, allowing him to assist athletes in optimising their speed for various professional sports whilst staying involved with traditional athletics.

Minh

First Grade
What is it all of a sudden the need for speed lol. Does that mean Morris will be even faster, Nighty as fast as Morris, Weyman to run down wingers.:roll:

Minh

First Grade
Jokes aside if he can add a yard or two of pace to any of our players can only be a good thing.

nrlnrl

First Grade
surely there's some potential flyers in Toyota Cup. It seems we have no trouble bringing through props, but a really quick centre or winger & a hard running / hard hitting backrower seem hard to find or hard to keep ( Tariq Sims - DOH ! )

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
surely there's some potential flyers in Toyota Cup. It seems we have no trouble bringing through props, but a really quick centre or winger & a hard running / hard hitting backrower seem hard to find or hard to keep ( Tariq Sims - DOH ! )

hard running back rower...yeah he's called Alex Mckinnon... oh thats right he's probably off to the knights... :(

Ritzley

Juniors
Do the elite players receive a "padded" lycra set like Matt used to throw around during his sprints?? Some of those front on shots of Matt put me off athletics forever....

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Jokes aside if he can add a yard or two of pace to any of our players can only be a good thing.

don't know about adding an extra yard or two..

but he should easily add another 11 - 12 inches..

Godz Illa

Coach
Hard running, hard hitting backrowers? Like Test and Origin incumbents Ben Creagh and Beau Scott? If you're willing to wait behind them good luck to ya.

Young quick winger/centres? Why would you hang behind another Test standard combo in Nightingale Morris Cooper and Gaz. There are a long list of young backs we brought through that are at other clubs. As far as the current under 20's are concerned lookout for youngster Evander Cummins. Still only 17

Just on Shirvington, good signing for our training package. Really stiffens us up

Ozzy

First Grade
Apon reading the subject title, my first thought was ?????? but reading the article, no a bad signing, can't hurt.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Hard running, hard hitting backrowers? Like Test and Origin incumbents Ben Creagh and Beau Scott? If you're willing to wait behind them good luck to ya.

Young quick winger/centres? Why would you hang behind another Test standard combo in Nightingale Morris Cooper and Gaz. There are a long list of young backs we brought through that are at other clubs. As far as the current under 20's are concerned lookout for youngster Evander Cummins. Still only 17

Just on Shirvington, good signing for our training package. Really stiffens us up

Fair enough re guys like Whare, Linnett & Loa, but I'd like to see the next generation of players include a real speedster. I know we have some depth by adding Moltzen & Chase Stanley, but a pacy winger or centre would be a bonus. I've heard good reports about Cummins, but haven't seen him play. Is he quick ?

As for the forwards, my point was more related to holding on to some young backrowers like Tariq Sims or Alex McKinnon because we seem to have a production line of props. Someone of their playing style would be ideal to be that impact player off the bench initially & then become a starting player.

Sorry for going OT...

Fingerbang

Bench
I have read it a few times now.....about Dragons not holding on to Tariq Sims. Not too sure, and someone will surely correct me if wrong....but I believe he was signed by Broncos from Group 7 team Gerringong Lions, and never played with the Dragons or Steelers junior teams.

Latest posts