What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Utai?

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Hey Tigers fans. I have a quick question for a mate, was Matt Utai in your top 25 squad this year or was he second tier? Cheers guys.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Pretty sure he was second tier as he was reportedly on match payments & a very small base contract. I believe $55k is the minimum contract for anyone in the top 25.

Skitz68

Juniors
Dont we have enough depth in the backline already . I often wonder how Matt Utai would go at hooker as an interchange for Farrah .His runs from dummy half could be good he's certainly hard to stop its just how he would hold up in defence . Just a suggestion What do ya think ?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dont we have enough depth in the backline already . I often wonder how Matt Utai would go at hooker as an interchange for Farrah .His runs from dummy half could be good he's certainly hard to stop its just how he would hold up in defence . Just a suggestion What do ya think ?
he can't pass and his tackling technique is pathetic.

Skitz68

Juniors
Can't pass , Can't tackle . Can't jump so what position do they plan to use him in Waterboy . Don't understand his signing for another season .

macnaz

Staff member
Im with you Fordy an Skitz. Waste of money in my opinion, guys like Utai arent going to win us a comp.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
You are right with the comment Utai won't win us a comp. He did a good job filling in last year when we had some injuries but now that we are through that period we need to move forward and some of the younger guys will do that for us. We have a few young flyers that should be on our wings, not old slow wingers.

The thing that scares me most is Sheens tends to stay loyal to players for far too long and not experiment enough when plaers are in form slumps. Yeah, Utai probably did more good things than bad last year but that is the point, that was last year. Lote had a good first year and yes, he got injuries but his form wasn't that good and I don't think necessarily deserving a spot in the team towards the end of the year. I believe Brown probably was a better option than Lote at the end of the year.

If we go with Utai and Lote in the same team (at the same time) I can see a few problems. I like fast wingers that when given the chance will beat their opponent with pace, not just bumping them off like Utai does. Lawrence has the skills to set up his wingers and I could see Ayshford really starting to develop this skill too. When that overlap is in play you really want a fast winger to finish things off.

Just my thoughts....

super_coach

First Grade
Sheens loves him for the dirty yards he is able to eat up, but really most other outfits have him well and truly worked out and his defensive limitations are a massive worry.

I just think when you have the best attacking no6 in the game, why not give him some speedy targets rather than a couple of slow coaches

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sheens loves him for the dirty yards he is able to eat up, but really most other outfits have him well and truly worked out and his defensive limitations are a massive worry.

I just think when you have the best attacking no6 in the game, why not give him some speedy targets rather than a couple of slow coaches
Its a trait Sheens loves in his threequarters these days.

It explains why Daniel Fitzhenry lasted so long at the club.