What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Johns sex scandal in 2002

MrBubbles

Juniors
There is nothing wrong with a so called gang bang. M Johns has done nothing wrong other than enjoy the delights of sex with his fellow footballers.

Why do people insist on discriminating against those who enjoy a gang bang? Do you people hate gays and blacks too. In time, those who enjoy a little bit of group action will be accepted in the same way!

bartman

Immortal
excuses :?

he cheated on his wife

she is the only paerson he has to anser to, not some nuffy at the ABC
Obviously not... since there is a program airing on the ABC about this type of stuff. And the program says it will be about much more than Johns, it's about the issue in our code (and his involvement as the lead example).

it is :?

it happened in 2002 and had not been an issue till the ABC decided to make it one

suddenly players must abide by their rules

the rules of some trashy prog which has been sued a few times

says a lot for them
So no denial that the indicent happened, and no denial that such incidents (when they inevitably become known) hurt our game... So why no focus on what our game can do about the issue/problem (like the program summary says is the focus of the show), rather than reactionary fundamentalist stuff, attacking the messengers.

clean up what?

why do league players have to live by dfferent rules to AFL players?
I've said I don't give a toss about the AFL comparisons, don't atch it and don't know who the players are. This is about our game alone, and whether it can improve itself in regard to its employees attitudes to women. I want to see the game - and it's broader appeal, and hence finances - improve. I personally think that's better than playing attack the journo, which is an excuse not to get to the core issue.

only if he is found guilty

if he's not then the only thing he did wrong is what he was suspended for
Which misses the point that legality is only the measure of the court. The measue of public perception of our game - and hence its potential appeal, sponsors, grants, broadcast rights and ongoing financial solvency - does come down to the wider population's morals and expectations of behaviour, which are very different to "being found guilty". Just read some of the comments under the Johns stories on the DT site to read what the average non-footy tragic reactions are like - parents saying they don't want their children playing league and becoming part of this culture etc.

a decade of incidents that are nothing compared to spoertsman of another code yet the ABC have decided what they do is fine

it's a hatchet job on one code. simple as that
But our code - in this case Matty Johns and his conga line of whackers - have given them the amunition in the first place. Fix the problem at the source, and there won't be a hatchet job about it...

they are being educated

the media just gloss over those stories and make things out to be something they're not
Obviously not being educated well enough.... to point is for our code to improve, so that there won't be ammunition for journos to make (compelling, to the average person) cases that league has a problem culture. Who care's about a comparison, that's just an excuse for our game not to be accounatble.

I think even the staff involved in this education that occurs have been on the footy show last year and admitted that more money directed to their efforts would mean more staff, means more chance of helping our guys not to f**k up their industry's image, but also to develop a bit more of a healthy character in regards to their attitudes to women, sexuality, other cultures etc.

Play shoot the journo, or get on the back of our game's administrators to use this story about a decade's worth of unneeded crap as a springboard to prioritise player behaviour in relation to the game improving its image?

El Diablo

Post Whore
this could go on forever and i hate typing lol

the ABC have decided there is a problem with league and i do not believe that is the case when you compare it to AFL. they don't seem to have a problem with AFL though

imo they have an agenda and i will not be watching the crap

they should f**k off and mind their own business instead of making things out to be something they're not

but journalists are one of the lowest forms of life so i shouldn't expect much from them

Flapper

First Grade
Whoa, hold it fellers: Internet testimony just became reliable! What a breakthrough! The amount of celebrities I've impugned with rumours on the net over the years woudl make me Witness#1!

Whoa, hold it fellers: Internet testimony just became reliable! What a breakthrough! The amount of celebrities I've impugned with rumours on the net over the years woudl make me Witness#1!

In reality it is no more or less reliable than the statements by the players that everything was above board and consensual. Yet most on this forum seem to have no trouble accepting that.

adamkungl

Immortal
I was gonna read this thread, but I saw bartman is posting in it. I'll just imagine some pathetic moral high ground where players rooting is somehow anyone elses business and save myself the trouble.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
bart, El D's point has nothing to do with whether or not it's okay for consensual group sex to occur involving footy players or whether the game's got the right culture. Sure, it's something that needs fixing on some level and few would deny that (although re-hashing a seven year old incident in which no criminal charges were laid is a bit rich as a catalyst if you ask me).

But what El D is saying that the media seems to be wanting to pick and choose who they target. El D has kept and eye on the off-field rubbish the AFL has come up with over the last few years and it's become clearer with each passing incident (and yes, there's been as many as there has in RL, some far worse) that there's an even bigger boys club mentality down there, and an even greater realm of I suppose what you'd have to call enabling.

The longer the media is allowed to pick and choose, scrutinise our code and bring it to it's knees (lost sponsorship & corporate backing, destroyed reputations and careers in the case of some innocent players) while allowing those who do similar things in other sports to earn an easy retribution with little fanfare... it's not right. Those who write the stories aren't the upstanding moral crusaders they'd like to think they are, they're simply choosing their stories, and the NRL clearly isn't enough in their pocket. Not that it should be, but for God sake, where's the equality?

Timmah

Staff member
In reality it is no more or less reliable than the statements by the players that everything was above board and consensual. Yet most on this forum seem to have no trouble accepting that.

Yet you're somehow more in the know than the next person? FMD.

effnic

Bench
Omg i can like get heaps of money out of this if i start whinging and carrying on like a stupid bitch. You were a filthy whore its in the past move on.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,25457334-5016527,00.html

Code of silence just code for better ratings

By Andrew Webster | May 11, 2009 12:00am

FOR those of us who inhale current affairs and rugby league, Monday night always provides a dilemma: watch Monday Night Football or Four Corners?

Tonight, it's a no-brainer as the heavy hitting, highly respected ABC program promises to lift the lid on player behaviour in rugby league in an ominously named report "Code of Silence". It will be compulsory viewing.

League suits are collectively holding their breath, unaware of what it will reveal. Some players might be feeling slightly edgy, too.

Footy Show host Matthew Johns has become the unwanted poster boy for the program, which has decided to regurgitate claims from a kitchenhand who said she felt "degraded" after having group sex with Johns and others after a pre-season trial in Christchurch in 2002.

Yet the whisper over the weekend is Four Corners will name other big-name Sharks players who were allegedly present that night.

The general feeling within rugby league is the program is about to do a job on it.

The commonly asked question is why has it decided to again air the incident involving Johns, who has reportedly been an emotional wreck since the story broke and did not appear on the Sunday Roast yesterday?

Even more concerning have been claims the program interviewed self-proclaimed "cougar" Charmyne Palavi, who has been romantically linked to Australian superstars Johnathan Thurston and Greg Inglis and before that sold her story about her dalliance with Great Britain international Keith Senior to London tabloid The Sun.

"He's a 10 between the sheets and has a great body for an old guy," Palavi told The Sun. "He was like a machine."

She was interviewed on Channel 7 news on Friday and appeared like the self-appointed spokesperson for rugby league groupies, as per the subtitle when her weathered and spray-tanned head appeared on-screen.

Let's hope it wasn't the same "Charmaine" who was on the Kyle and Jackie O show on FM radio weeks ago telling anyone who was listening about the decadent lifestyle of league players. Cocaine abuse. Wild and rampant sex. Treating women like playthings before ungraciously discarding them.

At the time, Austero's publicity department fired out a sizzling press release to every member of the rugby league press in the hope the comments would receive wider circulation. Not one publication took the bait. Presumably, Four Corners has taken a huge bite.

That said, it's important to not pass judgement on this report until we see it. The reporter, Sarah Ferguson, is no lightweight. She was held in high regard at Channel 9 when she worked for the Sunday program and is renowned as a ferocious interviewer. And surely rugby league cannot begrudge that a program like Four Corners has decided to investigate the behaviour of its players. Some might have expected it sooner.

In his first report for Four Corners in 1983, Chris Masters had a wide-ranging brief to look into corruption in sport, not just rugby league.

In the end, "The Big League" led to the resignation of NSWRL president Kevin Humphreys, spawned a Royal Commission and forced then Premier Neville Wran to temporarily stand down.

It appears Four Corners producers have similarly looked at the litany of off-field incidents in rugby league and deemed it a topic worth investigation. Is there a code of silence when it comes to player behaviour in rugby league? Hardly. They have been sprayed across back and front pages for years, led news bulletins and stirred fervent debate. If they hadn't, Four Corners would not have touched this issue in the first place.

Timmah

Staff member
Webster's normally a f**king tin-kicker but to be fair he's on the money there.

This joke of a notion there's a massive cone of silence needs to stop. There's nowhere to hide and there's just a handful of dickheads who are yet to come to terms with that.

Eels Dude

Coach
Whatever media criticism Matty Johns has to cop, so be it. he's a good bloke. But like NRL players he's got a high profile and any mistake will cost him. I know he admits his error and there was nothing illegal involved... yet being a public media personality who has to discuss off field issues yet ignores is his publicy really is not ideal.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Webster seems OK but he was poached from the SMH

i wonder if he can find out the answer to this now?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/bully-boys-back-afl-over-titans/2008/07/06/1215282650283.html
Bully boys back AFL over Titans

Andrew Webster
July 7, 2008

NEWS Ltd - cue Darth Vader theme music from Star Wars - has conflicts of interest plastered all over rugby league. Here's another … We understand the Gold Coast Titans are furious about The Gold Coast Bulletin helping bankroll the region's new AFL team. When the Titans started to sniff out potential sponsors a few years ago, the News Ltd-owned tabloid steadfastly refused to do so in the name of editorial independence. Imagine the Titans' bewilderment, then, to learn that not only has the newspaper become a partner of the consortium expected to be handed the AFL's 17th licence in October but editor-in-chief Bob Gordon is sitting pretty on the board. Many at the Titans - without question the success story of the NRL in recent times - claim "The Bully" is less supportive of rugby league than before. Indeed, the whole thing makes you wonder why News Ltd is supporting an AFL team when it has half-ownership of rugby league? This all comes on the back of former Bulletin managing director Roy Miller being spirited on to the NRL board as one of the media company's appointees. We called News Ltd corporate affairs director Greg Baxter, who said he was unaware of the relationship between the newspaper and the proposed AFL side. He directed us to Gordon, who is yet to return our call.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhqnews/nrl-braces-for-a-bad-news-day/2009/05/10/1241893849333.html

Ferguson said she had been asked by people within the game why league was being singled out and she admitted that the other codes had similar issues.

"I don't think anybody would want to make that case," she said. "However, when you listen to people saying, 'Why don't we look at AFL, why don't we look at soccer, why don't we look at this', I think they're defensive mechanisms aimed at diverting attention from this crucial question.

get f**ked

it's an honest question

why single out one code if you say the others are just as bad?

it's called an AGENDA, Sarah

Pete Cash

Post Whore

No I agree with you that there is a double standard in reporting, but I believe it isn't so much an attempt to destroy Rugby League as it is lazy journalism. Mud sticks easily to Rugby League because of past incidents.

I think it would be in the games best interest for the players to avoid behaviour that could be deemed anti-social. AFL players wrongly have a better reputation than Rugby League players so Journos just keep painting up the image of the caveman League player compared to the angel AFL player.

If Rugby League managed to have even ONE year of no off field nonsense, if the players did the right thing for just one year, then you would see more attention paid to AFL because scandals sell papers and the media would happily turn on AFL if they were forced to, because at the moment League is such a convienent target.

Cloud9

Ferguson also questioned why the earlier Cronulla incident did not attract much publicity or action. "I think we all agree that is quite extraordinary in this case that such an event somehow managed to evade discussion at the time

Sarah,
Players deserve a fair trial and the presumption of innocence, without it becoming trial by media.

El Diablo

Post Whore
perhaps Sarah should google the name Albert Proud and ask why there is little to no discussion on him

and why is he still allowed to run around in the AFL

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25459113-2722,00.html

Group sex 'ingrained' in rugby league culture

Peter Kogoy | May 11, 2009
Article from: The Australian

AN ABC Four Corners investigation to be aired nationally tonight alleges group sex and alcohol abuse remain deeply ingrained in rugby league culture.

Four women interviewed by Four Corners allege they have been involved in group sex with players or been victims of sexual abuse. Details of one group sex session, involving Nine Network star Matthew Johns when he was playing with NRL club Cronulla in 2002, were revealed last week.

Four Corners reporter Sarah Ferguson said yesterday the program would look at other incidents involving rugby league players, some of which she alleged had been "swept under the carpet by unnamed senior officials".

"We start with the Manly star Brett Stewart, who is facing one charge of sexual assault and one count of indecent assault, and work back five years to an incident involving Matthew Johns and the entire Cronulla club at a Christchurch hotel," she said.

The woman at the centre of the group sex allegations against Cronulla players and officials, who asked not to be named in the program, says she still needs medical help for psychological and emotional stress she suffered as a result of the incident.

"Every time I looked up there were more and more people in the hotel room. There were lots of guys watching," she tells Ferguson.

Ferguson said last night: "There wasn't one person at Cronulla who did not know about the incident - the entire team and football staff - but it managed to get very little airing at the time. Forty members of the Cronulla team and its staff were interviewed by (New Zealand) police and apart from one or two brief news stories at the time, because there was no police charges laid, nothing was done whatsoever. Certainly the program also reveals evidence that (some) senior officials and clubs are working hard to change player behaviour.

"But incidents such as what occurred in Christchurch are still present within the game today. It seems by and large the culture of football people loving 'a bun' (group sex) still exists.

"Conversely, we show there are also a vast number of decent people involved with the game of rugby league who do behave well with women and I'd hate to suggest otherwise.

"There are good clubs in the NRL who don't tolerate misbehaviour and we also take a look at the code's efforts in re-educating players. All credit to it for addressing this anti-social behaviour, but we show the NRL has still got a long way to go to clean up its act."

Johns, a star of Nine's The Footy Show in Sydney, admitted last week he had participated in the group sex session.

El Diablo

Post Whore
4 women who may or may not be teeling the truth mean group sex is ingrained in league :?

if a sheila wants to get gang banged it aint illegal

Engine

Juniors
I've always thought there is something wrong with a guy who likes to be watched rooting women.