What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Johns sex scandal in 2002

Bengal

Juniors
ahhh...okkkkk.I bow to your superior understanding of feminism in all it's forms:sarcasm:
I'm not looking for superiority, that's a radical feminist mantra. I am looking for understanding though, that's a feminist mantra. So near yet so far. Understanding will get us "all" everywhere, and understanding includes acknowledgment of all strains of feminism.

Bengal

Juniors
okk..so what is radical feminism again?
One wonders whether I'd get a respectful answer if I bothered. I'm a supporter of feminism, I'm not a supporter of radical feminism or its various inclinations . Few people are. I believe in equality, egality, freedom of choice. I do not believe in oppression, I do not believe in superiority, two strands of radical feminism that you failed to mention in your earlier post.

I'm all for seeing the full picture.

robertmorris

Juniors
okk..so what is radical feminism again?

Well we can begin with saying that it is feminism that is informed by Marxism, feminism that is still attached to Marxism. Feminism that is informed and attached to other far-left ideologies than Marxism.

We can go on: It is feminism that believes in male separatism, feminism that believes all men are rapists and rapists of habit, feminism that believes all, or most, fathers sexually abuse their daughters.

We can include feminists who believe that they always know better than the individual choices of women, who laugh and show scorn at the individual agency of women, and who would dictate and enforce their own ideological driven choices on them.

We would include feminist hypocrites, who in the name of feminism practise sexism and discrimination against men, who believe in judging people by their sex instead of by their talents, abilities or character through gender quotas.

We may say it is feminists who believe that any appreciation of female beauty is the objectification and sexual exploitation of women.

And here, it is radical feminists, who believe, that establishing the veracity of a women's story does not matter as much a slurring a man as the habitual rapists that all men, especially athletes, are. It is the feminists who do not believe in the justice system, criminal and civil, who libel as vigilantes in the name a twisted ideology, no matter how many bodies they tread over to do it.

Last edited:

warriorsownyou

Juniors
So it's just some anti-League media propoganda from the sounds of it then?

Some girl wanted the Sharks to run a train on her, when she told people about said incident and realised they viewed her as a sket for that, she ran crying to the police to try and save face.

Is basically what happened?

I fail to see how it's anyones fault other than her own that she regretted the incident afterwards. You can't really blame the Sharks players. Might be a bit weird, such a high c**k to female ratio isn't my cup of tea, but there's no crime.

Surely

Post Whore
I stand to be corrected but femminism is about equality right ?

Equal rights and opportunity in society, including the right to chose which legal sexual activites to partake in.

The right to choose to be part of a group sex scenario where there are 11 guys and one girl.

The right to reject one of them because he was to ugly, to which he complied.

The right to feel badly about said choice several days after the event when workmates were not impressed with the bragging of sexual conquests. Just as i don't want to hear about a male colleague bragging about his conquests.

If you don't want the shame, keep it to yourself.

Some additional clarifications from 4 Corners.

FOUR CORNERS - CODE OF SILENCE

Four Corners have made a statement relating to "Code of Silence", first broadcast 11 May 2009.
Date: 19/05/2009
STATEMENT

Due to the high level of interest in this program, we would like to answer a number of questions that have arisen in response to the story.
Four Corners cannot control what is said in the outer reaches of the internet. We can correct some of the rumours and untruths being printed or broadcast in the mainstream media. In doing so we would also like to set the record straight on how the story came into being.
After the incident with the Cronulla Sharks occurred in Christchurch in 2002, Clare was pursued by the media to tell her story; she was offered money by commercial media in Australia; she refused all requests to speak about it. The intervening years were marked by post traumatic stress disorder and its debilitating symptoms. Two months ago, after we had begun researching a story on Rugby League, one of the members of the Cronulla Sharks tour to New Zealand told Four Corners about the events in Christchurch. Through our research we found Clare and asked her to take part in a program looking at off-field incidents in the NRL, attitudes to women in the culture of the game and the possibility for change. On that basis and knowing there were other women also speaking out, she agreed.

A few points of clarification:
Clare was not paid for the interview. Payment is contrary to ABC Editorial guidelines. Her only requirement was that we protect her identity.

Clare has not "boasted" about the fallout from the story. She is in hiding from the media, and has made no comment about the consequences of the story for others.

The program was extensively researched based on police material, medical reports and the first- hand accounts of participants, not hearsay from people unconnected with the events.

The New Zealand police have not made any adverse comment about the program. They have gone on the record to say that suggestion is completely untrue.

Most of the activity that took place during the incident is not disputed. Players and staff gave graphic accounts to police of the sexual activity. One player told police that at least one of them had climbed in through the bathroom window and crawled commando-style along the floor of the room.

We stated explicitly in the story that we were not focussing on the issue of consent in relation to the incident in Christchurch. We stated simply that Clare made a complaint to police. This was investigated at the time. The players say she consented and no charges were laid. The focus of this incident was the role of group sex in rugby league culture and the consequences for the woman involved.

As far as Clare’s state of mind at the time is concerned, when she made a complaint to Christchurch police a few days after the incident, police noted her distress in their reports. She was in tears and found it very difficult to describe what had happened. Days later, the police also noted that some comments she made suggesting she was not distressed were a mechanism for coping with what had happened.

The manager of the hotel in Christchurch, Clare’s boss Keith Burgess, said that Clare was “a stable person” and “the last person to be involved in that kind of thing.” Clare says she doesn’t know the owner of the hotel who has recently made derogatory remarks about her.

The events later in the evening at the hotel are disputed. Player Daniel Ninness said last week that Clare was not distressed leaving the hotel. Clare told police in signed statements at the time that Ninness was kind to her and came to her rescue and she relied on him for support to get home. We attempted to contact Ninness prior to broadcast but were unsuccessful.

Four Corners sought interviews with all the players and staff from the team that we were able to track down prior to broadcast. No one wanted to give an on-camera interview. Some spoke freely to Four Corners, others did not. We identified those people whose presence was confirmed by more than one firsthand account. They were Matthew Johns, Brett Firman and Paul Gallen, who told us he came into the room at the end.

Matthew Johns spoke to Four Corners on numerous occasions about the events and we included comments he made in the story. He declined however to give an on-camera interview to Four Corners and answer more detailed questions about his role in the incident. We told Johns in advance of the broadcast that the young woman’s testimony was moving, that she had clearly suffered after the event and had been psychologically damaged by it.

Matthew Johns said before the broadcast went to air that he agreed the worst response to the program would be for anyone to go after the girl. Clare has recently contacted Four Corners asking that the media leave her in peace.
She said this:
I am being harassed in the most awful ways and what is being reported by jornalists (sic) is horrible and untrue. They have got people speaking of me that are not my friends or people I have never met. It feels like I am living in a nightmare. All I wanted to do was to make people aware of the culture and stop it happening to other girls.
In relation to the Newcastle Knights section of the story, the Knights were frequently updated during the making of the story, up to and including just before broadcast. No comment from any one in any part of the program was taken out of context. Four Corners has received no complaint or question from anyone actually involved in the story suggesting the contrary.

Sue Spencer
Four Corners Executive Producer

Sarah Ferguson
Reporter

Interesting that 4C got a tip from one of the players to send them on the trail of "Clare". Maybe someone found a conscience?

Last edited:

benj4

Juniors
Rebbeca Wilson just replied to my email with:

Stop reading then. Just refer to Weidler - he is there protector and right up your alley mate.

:sarcasm:

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
Whoever was the moderator or administrator that removed my post saying that Johns was offered the opportunity to speak in the documentary because it was apparently untrue should be embarassed by this part of the 4 corners release:

He declined however to give an on-camera interview to Four Corners and answer more detailed questions about his role in the incident. We told Johns in advance of the broadcast that the young woman’s testimony was moving, that she had clearly suffered after the event and had been psychologically damaged by it.

Flapper

First Grade
Rebbeca Wilson just replied to my email with:

Stop reading then. Just refer to Weidler - he is there protector and right up your alley mate.

:sarcasm:

Nothing constructive, just a big f**king sook. Maybe I should email her the link to my blog where I f**king sink the slipper into her saggy arse.

ibeme

First Grade
At least Four Corners have shown the decency to explain these matters.

I think that article is more balanced than the actual program. It admits that most of the activities, including graphic details were not disputed. That's something that they left out in the actual program, and has been something that has been open to speculation ever since. The impression that I got when I watched the report was that it was a her word against theirs situation.

The fact that Matthew Johns had spoken to them numerous times on the phone and had agreed that the worst thing that could happen after the report was for people to go after the girl. Again, they failed to mention anything of this nature in the report, and painted him as the villain, when really, his role was probably the least controversial in the context of what went on in that room.

What it demonstrates, apart from the fact that certain parts of the media are low lifes, is that it was consensual. And that there was obviously no malicious intent by the players.

Had they revealed this stuff during the program, I doubt that there would have been the same fallout that there has been. I don't think the program was objective at all. The fact that they've seen the need to release this explanation demonstrates that.

It also confirms that Ninness was telling the truth, which is something that was also open to speculation and disbelief by certain posters in this forum.

Last edited:

Latest posts