What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matty Head

Matty Head looks to be getting back to his best after today's performance for the Tigers. Champion little player this guy with a massive heart and good attitude.

Still aggrivates me we gave him away, we should have stuck with him!

Really could give our team some direction, if the soft forwards could pull their finger out.

Travisty, and another great blunder through our recruitment and retention processes.

Great to see him do well, I hope he continues his form. But it still cuts deep, very deep.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The club has delivered some real clangers in recent times but we can't blame them for letting Mat Head go. In fact, they seemed to try and keep him for as long as possible, even directing him to Les Catalans Dragons. When they finally released him, it was fair enough.

Great to see him playing well again and here's hoping another injury isn't around the corner.

I do understand the reasons, but thought we should have stuck by him longer, I always believed he would come good and thought he wasn't playing too bad when he was cut loose, certainly no worse than the rest.

Good halves are hard to come by these days and Matty just has a special quality about him that was in-sink with the Red V!

watatank

Coach
It's funny, this time last year no one was missing Matt Head and raving on about how good a buy Soward was. Now its the other way around.

Soward is a good little player too, I'm just a big fan of what Matty Head brought to the Dragons....wouldn't have minded seeing Head at 7 and Soward at 6 this season to be honest!

yeh hes been great for us
hes pulled of some great tackles too of hes kicks so looks like hes leg isnt bothering him to much

im excited about hes combination with Benji its gonna be fun to watch

The Chef

Juniors
Yeah, funny that, former dragons players doing well at other clubs. Good to see Head doing well.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I've always rated him and was excited when we signed him, despite his injury issues.

He's quality. His passing and kicking is top notch. Just needs to develop his running game, but that will come with more games.

What would you Dragons fans consider to be his biggest weakness?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
What would you Dragons fans consider to be his biggest weakness?
Nothing wrong with his game, he was just injury prone and he sometimes carried this into the match.

As I said, Saints stuck by him for as long as possible, even after Soward came along. Keep in mind that Soward was a mid-season signing, he was brought in essentially as a filler because we were without a half back (Head was carrying injuries).

Soward took hold of the opportunity and stepped up.

But even then, Saints still tried to keep Head. But Soward's form was good, Head got injured again, so eventually they had to release him.

The irony is that Head got his opportunity in similar circumstances a few seasons ago when Firman was injured.

Cooper-Man

Bench
I was happy we let him go. He was not playing good and we all know about his injury issues. We must all understand, he has had an offseason with one of the best coaches in the business. Sheens would have added to his ability. Brown took away anything Head had to offer. He is doing this to Gaz and Soward and everyone else in the team at the moment. We see a little bit of brilliance and once they have a couple of games under him they forget how to catch, tackle and run. Head will go far under sheens.

I am happy to stick with Soward for next season. Last year he played well. He is playing with passion this year and his passion was there on the sideline sitting infront of the army on SAT night. Bennet can add to his game and give him some dirrection. FFS he turned the best fullback in the world into the best 5/8 and player in the world.

boxa777

Coach
Hybrid, that is the thing, he has no running game and never will. He is too injury prone to sprint, take on the line and receive contact. He is all yours and will break down soon.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
He took on the line and sprinted yesterday - made a break and almost scored a try himself.

He was also the first player chasing down a kick every time.

shredda84

Juniors
we couldnt keep holding onto him with his continual injuries,he had to go. in saying all that if matty head stays injury free and plays at his full capabilities he will no doubt dominate footy matches and as sad as i will be watchen him do this i will be happy for the bloke. good luck to him but dont forget about jamie soward hes gonna be the dragons halfback for years to come and the best one weve had in a long long time,he had a better range of skills than head.
go soward!!!!!!!

Mr Red

First Grade
Heads ability was never in question - the problem is his knee is gone... wait for another 4 or 5 games and then his knee will flare up again.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
sometimes a player needs a change imo it happened with Prince so i hope it happens with head too
A player doesn't become un-injured just because he changes clubs.

There seems to be a misconception that Head wasn't wanted at Saints.

On the contrary he played some great matches for Saints when he wasn't carrying injuries.

Latest posts